“Good pre theatre dinner”
Review of KaZe

KaZe
Reserve with OpenTable
KaZe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #76 of 2,086 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed October 28, 2017 via mobile

We had tickets to the Ensemble Theatre on a Saturday night and decided to have dinner at KaZe before the 8:00 show. Unlike many restaurants in OTR, this one takes reservations which is extremely helpful when you need to get to a show.

My husband had the smoked miso buffalo wings and raved about them. I started with the dumplings. The waiter told me the item just changed. It used to be steamed dumplings which I think I would have enjoyed more than the fried ones although they were very tasty. I had the lettuce wraps and he had the katsu chicken with brussel sprouts. All very good.

The service was excellent and the waiter was both knowledgeable and attentive. I would recommend it.

Reviewed October 17, 2017

This was our first visit to KaZe. Have been wanting to visit this restaurant for some time and there always seems to be a Groupon available. Decided to slip in one Saturday night and we were not disappointed. The place was very crowded but we were seated immediately in the bar area at a table. Our server was attentive to us and the food arrived faster than I thought with such a large crowd. We had lettuce wraps (appetizer) and salmon sushi (meal) and two glasses of wine. We even downloaded a Groupon while we were waiting and the total cost was around $30. I would gladly go again.

Reviewed October 16, 2017 via mobile

We made a reservation for 8:25 on a Friday night. We were 5 minutes past our time but raced to get there for our table. We were informed that they had campers at our table so we could wait or sit at the sushi bar. We waited about 5-8 minutes to be greeted by a server. I ordered wine and it took about 12-15 minutes to be delivered. We shared different items in the menu. We waited about 30-35 minutes more for food. The OTR sushi roll was excellent. The lettuce wraps were disappointing, I wouldn’t order them again. Giant pieces of lettuce, little filling to go inside and no sauce, they were deconstructed completely and dry. We also ordered the pho. When I told the waiter we were sharing, he asked if we wanted the small or large order of pho. The menu only had 1 order on it for $10. He ensured me it was a small portion and we would need the bigger one and that he was so kind as to put them in separate bowls for us. When we got our check, it was just 2 orders, $10 each. I was a little miffed to say the least because they were large bowls, we ended up taking almost 1.5 home. We could have just gone with one. Next time, if there is one, I’d just stick with the sushi.

1  Thank Cecelia W
Reviewed October 11, 2017

We came here before an FC Cincinnati game and wanted a reservation for like 5 or 5:30 but on open table there was only 4:30 or 8:30. So we took the 4:30- the place was dead empty in the restaurant- a few patrons on the bar patio. Until we left at like 5:30 there were no other diners. The portions are very small, there really isn't a lot of kid friendly options- our kids 10 and 13 are not picky eaters so they found a few things they liked (pork belly buns, edamame, fried rice) and sampled my chicken katsu and husband's sushi. The dishes were all good but just bit too small for the price. Our bill was over $200 and nobody was really full when we left. The cocktails were also small but very good and different combinations that you wouldn't think to put together. Not sure I will keep this one on our list of OTR favorites when we are downtown.

Reviewed September 24, 2017

If you read any of my reviews, i'm generally pretty forgiving and only reserve 1 star ratings for the worst of the worst. I came here on a Saturday night with my wife. The service was terrible. The server took our order and the food was delivered by someone else. The server made one trip back to check on us in the entire hour we were there. The food was fine, nothing special, but literally took over 30 minutes to get to our table.

After hearing so much advertising for Kaze and people saying how great it was, I was expecting something at least decent. I would recommend never going to this place unless you are interested in a long wait for mediocre food and terrible service.