“Basic sushi at a discount”
Review of Mr. Sushi

Mr. Sushi
Ranked #106 of 2,031 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Reviewed 29 May 2017

A good place for basic sushi. They have traditional nigiri and sashimi as well as a vast selection (about 50 types) of creative California style rolls. The Fire Scallop and Naked Rolls were good. A great attraction is a half price deal on weekday evenings, which provides excellent value for money and fills up the restaurant. The sushi itself is pretty good, not the best you will have but quite acceptable for the price. They also have a good selection of drinks, including craft beers by bottle/can and wines. Location is very convenient to the theaters on 6th and Walnut. Service is friendly and fairly fast, even with a full restaurant.

Reviewed 28 March 2017

Seeing Mr. Sushi makes me think of a chain of sushi restaurants with blah food (not quite sure why, but this was my thought) until my family brought me to the restaurant before a show at the Aranoff. I also made a second visit with a friend before another show a couple of weeks later and both experiences were well worth the visit.

I tried around 8 of the specialty rolls on the menu. I can't recall the names of all of the rolls, but all of them were quite well made. The ingredients tasted fresh. None of the flavors overwhelmed. The sushi people I was with prefer spicy dishes and all of the spice was well done.

On my second trip I tried the tempura vegetables. The vegetables were cooked well without being mushy. The sauce they came with was good and went well with the vegetables. When I thought about it later I should have gone with the wasabi mayo or spicy mayo and will try to remember that for my next trip and I expect there will be one.

This is a great option for dining before shows across the street and I would definitely go back.

Reviewed 4 February 2017

I am a big fan of Mr Sushi and have been here many times. I would give this place a 5 if it wasn't for the service. The service, based on our last 2 experiences, would be a 2 at best. I'm going with a 4 generously because the food is that good.

The sushi selection is long, but there are a lot of very similar rolls to choose from. A good portion of the rolls are heavy on fried and cream cheese options, but I like both of those things so that's not a complaint, just an observation. They do have a decent variety of raw options too, especially on their sashimi/nigiri menu, if that's your thing.

Thursday night, between the 3 of us dining, we orded 4 rolls - Airforce (my personal fav and the one I always get - it's the perfect combo of fried, creamy, crunchy, spicy and sweet - highly recommend trying this roll), Sunday morning, Japanese Bagel and Philly + several pieces of Nigiri. I also got a side salad - it's very simple but I always love their dressing and the salad always fresh and crunchy. The food last night did not disappoint and was good as it always is.

The service however severely lacked. We were seated instantly, which was great. When we were seated, my fiancé asked what another customer was having because it looked good. The girl who sat us promised to go find out but she never came back. He was a little annoyed by that, but moved on. We sat there for 15 minutes with no acknowledgement at all from anyone who worked there. If it wasn't for the fact we knew we loved the food here, we would have left at that point. The server finally showed up, but he said nothing and just dropped us off waters. We weren't even sure if he was our server since he didn't speak so we didn't say anything to him either, just accepted the waters. They were busy so slow is understandable, but to me that's no excuse for poor service and at least acknowledging customers at your table. 10 mins or so after the water drop off, the server came back and asked if we were ready to order. (Apparently, he was, in fact, our server). He didn't ask if we wanted drinks other than water or if we had questions about the menu. Still trying to be optimistic, we went with the flow and put in our order. The positive is he brought our food shortly after we ordered. The server dropped the food on the table without saying anything - no explaining the rolls, no "does this look correct?" and no "need anything else?". He just dropped off and left - we dug right in and thoroughly enjoyed the food. However, we were all empty on our drinks about half way through the meal. We sat there for 10-15 mins before our server (or any server there for that matter) even passed our table and finally, our server whizzed by and we were able to get his attention and stop him. He asked if we were done and we said we wanted more drinks. What server doesn't notice people sitting there for 10-15 mins with completely empty glasses and half full plates? He took our glasses, left and came back with refills and our check. The glasses were pretty dirty, by the way, but we were just happy to have something to drink. Maybe the server was having a bad day or maybe he's just in the wrong job, I don't know but no excuse for terrible service.

The price of our meal was really decent- under $40 for 3 people (we were there during half price hours). Very good price value in my opinion compared to other sushi options.

We'll be back because we love the food. This is the second time we've had bad service so hopefully it's not a trend.

Reviewed 21 September 2016

I wasn't planning on having sushi, but passed by this place while I was hungry and after reading some reviews about it decided to give it a try. The restaurant is situated in the center of Cincinnati and offered ample seating inside and outside. As it was still pretty warm outside I opted for an inside table and (uncommon mostly in US restaurants) was asked where I preferred to sit - the spot at the window was perfect for a solo restaurant visit: people watching is always lots of fun.

I've read bad comments about the service in previous reviews but I certainly didn't notice anything like that. The restaurant was simple yet clean and light and everybody, from the lady who greeted me on coming in to the waiters and waitresses were quick, friendly and correct.

The number of choices on the menu were substantial, different sashimi / nigiri and a range of possible rolls to chose from. Took me some time to decide but that's part of the fun of course. So how was the sushi?

Everything looked fresh, it was nicely presented and tasted excellent. The only thing that I would remark is that the "build quality" from the nigiri and certainly the roll left a little to be desired. The roll specifically had a tendency to fall apart and while I have plenty of experience eating with chopsticks, that proved to be a bit of a challenge here sometimes.

But as the most important point is always freshness and taste, that really is a minor point. I enjoyed my meal, left nothing on my plate (that would have been a shame) and would definitely return here if I find myself in downtown Cincinnati.

Another good sushi experience in Cincinnati - I feel like I'm being spoiled here :)

Reviewed 20 September 2016 via mobile

I enjoyed 1/2 off sushi that was absolutely delicious. The staff was friendly and professional. The establishment was clean with a great atmosphere.