“Not anything amazing, but good”

Millennium Cincinnati
Ranked #41 of 51 Hotels in Cincinnati
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I got a great deal on the room, so I wont complain at all. Nice hotel, just no frills, pretty simple. Would stay again, but only at a good price.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,742)

Reviewed 13 December 2011

I booked the hotel via Hotwire then read reviews that made me a little skeptical. Yes, the carpet may be loose in a spot or two and maybe there is a stain here and there (I didn't see any), but it was very inexpensive and was in the heart of the city. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. What more do you need? The best $60/night hotel I've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: It's my understanding that the north tower is newer and cleaner.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I stayed here just last week on a business trip and this is probably one of the decent hotels I stayed. The location of this hotel is really nice and close to Fountain square and all the restaurants in the downtown.
The staff were really helpful - from bellboy to frontdesk to coffee shop etc.

The room looked little bit less spacious, but it was fine as I stayed there for just couple of nights.

BTW, the business center charges fee for internet access...but if you have laptop, you can connect to their wifi which is really good.

Reviewed 10 December 2011

Pros:
Located in the heart of downtown, walking distance from a lot of important businesses.
Sevice. And quality of food.
Sleep quality was also good.
Short commute from the airport

Cons:
The rooms looked a little crammed up. Could have been more spacious.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 December 2011

The Lead-Up:
I got a reservation at the Millennium in Cincinnati via a Hotwire hot rate. As such, I didn't know what the hotel was until after I paid for the reservation. Once I learned which hotel I had gotten and read its reviews on here, I was really worried. I was dreading staying there because of many negative tripadvisor reviews and comments.

The Experience:
Having just stayed there this past weekend, I can say that my particular experience at the Millennium was quite favorable. The front desk clerk who checked me in was not rude; she was helpful. I had a special need which I asked if she could accommodate, in terms of giving me a room, and she was able to meet that need exactly (granted, she was able to do it because the hotel wasn't full, but, nonetheless, she didn't scoff at my request or say she couldn't try to help me). I had a dinner in the bar area on Sunday night that was quite tasty, albeit a little overpriced (but what large hotel doesn't have overpriced services?). The room was fine. It wasn't the Waldorf Astoria but it also wasn't Motel 6. I'm not sure about the reviews that complain about the tiny rooms and bathrooms. I was in the North Tower of the Millennium, and the room/bathroom size were perfectly adequate. I never felt cramped or claustrophobic in any way (of course, I'm just one traveler). For checkout the next morning, there was an Express Check-Out form under my room door, which, had I done it, would allow me to leave without having to go to the Front Desk. All in all, the overall experience was just fine. Two criticisms: (a) the room did have a dated smell of smoke, as though it had been a smoking room many years ago. The room fit what I needed, though, so I didn't ask to change; also, compared to other rooms in the past with this issue, it wasn't overwhelming enough to bother me. (b) the high-speed wireless, which you have to pay for, is not that high-speed. Many times the signal would dip down to only two, if not a dismal one, bar of strength. $8 is a quite steep for wireless service that's not reliably good.

What You Need to Know:
Parking your car - as detailed in other reviews, the parking (valet only) rates are really high. At this writing (12/6/11), daytime rate is $12 while the overnight rate is an astronomical $22. Tips to avoid this: just northwest of the hotel on 6th St. past Elm and just southwest of the hotel on 5th St. around Elm are two public parking garages (one is All Right Parking) which only charge $2 for the first hour and, even better, only charge $8 for overnight parking. Being in downtown Cincinnati and right next to the Duke Energy Convention Center, there are parking meters all over the place; however, there are very detailed street signs explaining the times you can/can't park at them (some of these lanes become traffic lanes, not parking lanes, to effect better flow in/out of downtown during the rush hours). I.e.: meters on 5th St., which is the front of the hotel, can't be used from 7-9 am since this street flows in to downtown from the highway; meters one block north on 6th St., which is the back of the hotel (entrance there, too, with Enterprise rental car office), can't be used from 4-6 pm due to outbound traffic flow. Being there on a Sunday, I parked at a meter on 6th St. all day/night for free (meters are good Monday-Saturday). The meters on 6th St. also don't begin until 9am. I believe all meters stop requiring payment at 6 pm (you'd have to double-check all of these times on the meters themselves to be sure, though). Note: these meters take credit cards as well as coins.

Incidentals: when you check-in, they put a hold of $50 on your card for any room incidentals, which, when I asked what the incidentals are, was told phone, internet, in-room movies on the TV. If you don't use them all, or you don't use $50 worth, then they just charge your card for what you used. So, be forewarned: Yes, they will charge you to use the phone in the room, even for local calls, so just use your cell. Yes, they will charge you $8 for in-room wireless internet, which, as already detailed, was not reliably strong, so just use your smartphone.

What's around (restaurants/shops):
Fountain Square is right nearby and, when you check in to the Millennium, they have a restaurant guide (single sheet) on the check-in desk for you to take. It lists locations, names, as well as general price ranges. Unfortunately, because the bulk of my stay was on late Sunday afternoon/Sunday evening, most of these places were closed (which is why I just ate dinner in the hotel). During the week, however, I would say travelers have a very large number of picks to choose from.

Summary:
I was very worried about my stay since I didn't pick the hotel and other reviews on here were quite negative, but my personal stay was just fine. The hotel while I was there was quite empty; not many people around at all, which I'm sure is why I was able to get it as a Hot Rate. Hotwire listed this hotel chain as 3.5 stars; the .5 star may not be warranted, but, all in all, the Millennium in Cincinnati is a hotel I would consider staying at again.

Room Tip: High floor in North Tower
1  Thank coguy5280
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Reading the reviews, I was scared to even walk into this place, but I will say hands down best hotel I've ever been to. Karen at the front desk was wonderful! Not only was she nice but upgraded us to a club room, with our romance package we received a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries! Brought to us by room service. Excellent I might add, rooms were clean and they had flat screen tv.. Doorman was on top of things too, not only saved us $20 dollars on dinner but had us a cab in 2 seconds... Great view if you enjoy the city lights!! And walking distance from a lot of dinning and entertainment! I would give this hotel 5 stars anyway! Thanks to all the staff that made my night unforgettable!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Pepper1977
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I have stayed in this hotel in the past and I knew about the tiny rooms. But, after seeing some of the reviews on here, I was worried that things might have turned for the worse. My fears were unfounded as I stayed here on Nov 26 and the room was very clean. Bathroom showed no sign of mold or uncleanliness, just some signs of age. They need to put exhaust vents in the bathrooms to help remove the steam from showering, much more than they need trendy glass shelving. They need to install flat screen TVs in the rooms to remove the overly large dresser/desk/tv stand that extends out too far and for more than 1/2 the room length. But, all the reviews on here concerning the cleanliness of the hotel are just not true. Worn, yes....dated, yes....dirty, no. And at a price of $55 on a holiday weekend when the Bengals were in town was a definite bargain over the other "4-star" hotels in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: Make sure to check Hotwire for a good deal.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends