1,612 results
All reviews old faithful snow lodge obsidian restaurant geyser grill visitor center winter wonderland dining room geyser basin parking lot western cabin fast food gift shop general store modern hotel mini fridge thermal features second floor west yellowstone
Reviewed October 11, 2017

Comfortable room, public areas and the restaurant a bit chilly, needed to keep your fleece on!
Staff helpful and restaurant has good food if a little expensive as they can capitalise on their monopoly!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2017

This was my first trip to Yellowstone. I booked the hotel online. Front desk staff were very friendly and informative and the rooms were excellent. Hotel is comfortable, lovely ambience and its proximity to the Old Faithful was, needless to add, a major plus. This was the only lodge to remain open thro late October. The dining room was clean with a decent menu for breakfast and dinner. (I am sure lunch menu was good but we were never there for lunch)

If at all I had anything to complain about - Being held hostage for wifi is never my idea of fun. We depended on it when we could, the main parts of the hotel having decent reception. However, they were charging $5 per hour for the hotel wifi access and I think that's a rip off! If like the cruise lines they had charged per day it would have been okay or even a flat rate for the duration of the stay.

In any case, it was a fantastic trip and I could not have been happier with the stay.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2017

Knowing that the Snow Lodge is in a national park, I had low expectations for the quality of the accommodations. However, our room on the third floor facing Old Faithful geyser (we could see the top part of the steam every time it erupted) was spacious, quiet, and comfortable; much more so then the rooms in the Old Faithful Inn which is across the road. The service and food in the dining room was also provided at a higher level than anticipated. If we return to the park, I would definitely again stay at the Snow Lodge.

Room Tip: request a room on the third floor facing Old Faithful geyser.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2017 via mobile

We have visited the Snow Lodge several times, but were extremely disappointed with our last stay. The location near Old Faithful and Geyser Hill is phenomenal. But there is the rub. The location is so incredible and Xanterra's monopoly on Park services is so absolute that they really do not have to treat guests very well. The facility is solid, easily a three-star lodging, maybe better. On our stay, however, we witnessed aloof, uncaring front desk treatment of arriving guests. Even late in the season, the Lodge was still seeing a very high volume of guests. But front desk staffing was too light and the wait was too long. Then we saw a front desk rep treat a visitor very coldly, especially when she was having trouble understanding his explanation that her room would likely not be available until at least 30-60 minutes after the "guaranteed" checkin time of 4:30, which is pretty late. The guest we observed spoke and understood English well - we spoke with her ourselves. But the desk rep simply stuck with his rote-speech mode and was decidedly unhelpful to her. He was similarly unhelpful toward us. Just one aspect of a very disappointing experience.

In our room, our tub did not drain. I am not saying it drained slowly. It did not drain at ALL. How could this room have even been cleared for arriving guests? I finally had to pull the plug out, and after finding it thickly matted with someone's hair, and cleaning the residue in the tub, the water drained. When I reported this to the front desk, I rec'd no apology and housekeeping did NOT honor my one explicit request: now that I had the tub draining, please do not touch the drain until we check out.

One more representative observation: although all Park lodging was FULL, the company was shutting down its shops and restaurants. This left guests with few options and much inconvenience, especially in this isolated location. We know this because we heard it from other guests, besides experiencing it ourselves.

In sum, we did not feel appreciated or respected as guests. We felt much more like two “faces among many,” to be shuffled through the big Xanterra system. We are experienced travelers and past guests here. Next time we visit the park, however, we will strongly consider staying outside the park.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2017

Great location, clean and comfortable, if basic rooms, but there is a security issue. Some of the rooms are situated off a corridor that leads to catering and gift shop. This is open to the public, so you get the public passing your door all day, and there is no safe in the room. I found this a bit of a risk. Perhaps the corridor needs shutting off.

Don't expect TV or WiFi, just think where you are. WiFi can be bought, only in the lobby and it is very slow - so don't bother. You've come to enjoy the wilderness after all. Unusual in that the rooms have shutter and not curtains. If on the ground floor public can see into your room as no net curtain for privacy. Wash basin is in the lobby not the bathroom.

they try to get you to sign up for no maid service, on the grounds of Eco friendliness, but we wanted our beds made each day etc. so declined.

Found it hard to find the front door on arrival. Needs a hotel sign. Parking is where you can find, but we had no problems. Reception staff mixed. One who checked us in was a bit grumpy. Others we dealt with later were great. They, along with the ranger service, helped us to make the decision to cut our stay short by a day to avoid getting snowed in. Proved to be the right decision.

On the whole was a good place to stay considering its location. Typical of in park lodging. Its all run by the same company.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple