Wawona is just what it bills itself as, a quaint older hotel with a very distinguished lineage of visitors, no TV, no in room coffee makers and optional in room bathrooms. But the other reviewers are right, it is getting run down. We stayed in a room with a bathroom at the Washburn Cottage the week before Memorial Day weekend. There were still vacancies. The walls are thin and the lights are kept purposely dim in the rooms.
The location is everything. It is 35 to 40 minutes of winding roads to the tunnel view in the valley. But the food and gas prices in the Wawona Hotel and convenience store are crazy high. I would advise stopping in Oakhurst (junction of 49 and 41 south of park) and getting gas and food. Don’t worry, the main bear rule is to keep nothing in your car, rooms are fine.
But the location is everything. To stay at Oakhurst would add 45 minutes to your valley floor trip. But be forewarned, Wawona Hotel is telling the truth. It is an over 100 year old hotel with few modern conveniences.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Big Trees Lodge is cherished as one of the most respected and most frequently visited Yosemite hotels. Its authentic Victorian architecture features beautiful white buildings, classic verandas and lush natural surroundings. At the Big Trees Lodge, there's something for everyone-including golf, tennis, horseback riding, or fishing. Evenings are spent gathered around the piano for musical performances in the lounge. Big Trees Lodge dining is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon so you can book your Big Trees Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wawona Hotel Yosemite National Park
- Wawona Yosemite National Park