“Great stay”

Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Springdale
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Great stay”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The newly renovated kitchenette area was excellent. Nice countertops, new fridge and powerful microwave. Service and maids were terrific. The location is fantastic. If you don't mind the stairs, a second-floor room would be better for privacy and better views. People walking by on the first-floor sidewalk are very visible and audible.

All that said, we had a pleasant stay and were sad to leave. We were a couple staying in a room with two double beds. It was perfectly spacious for the two of us, but would have been crowded with four.

I had called in advance to ensure that the hot tub would be operating, and they told me it would be. Then when we arrived, they said that they were not allowed to let people in the working hot tub because the pool wasn't functioning. I can't believe that there is no way around this problem (a pool cover, whatever). If there isn't, they need to stop advertising the year-round hot tub. I might have chosen a different hotel if we had known the truth.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Korean first
St. George, Utah
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Their website says rooms start at $169. There is no way I would pay that much to stay here! I booked through hotels.com and booked two rooms for $69 each. (hotels.com provides little to no support after the transaction).

'Historic' Pioneer Lodge just means its old. They have done a reasonable job upgrading the rooms, but the floors still creak and there is no sound barrier between rooms. The rooms are clean and the bedding is decent although the pillows were pretty lame. The TV is old with limited channels. The AC works well as long as the room has a remote, which one of our rooms didn't have.

Check in was a fiasco. The key machine was broken so the employees had to go to each room to open the door for guests. That was a random incident that no one could foresee, but we also had several issues with the rooms they were trying to give us. The employees checking us in we're fairly new and were somewhat overwhelmed. After about an hour, The manager on duty, Bobby, finally stepped up and got us set up with acceptable rooms. He even offered to comp us a night during a future stay. Our stay after that was uneventful.

As far as positives, the location is the strongest point. It's very close to the entrance to Zion NP, and the view from the rooms is spectacular. That being said, Springdale is a very small town, so those aspects are shared with every other place in town.

The next time I visit with my family I will probably stay at the Best Western down the road. It's $89, but has wi-fi and breakfast at the Switchback restaurant is included.

Room Tip: If you do stay here get a room upstairs...you don't want the floor creaking above you.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Spitfires135
St. Louis
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I booked the hotel by calling them directly. The lasy I taked with on the phone was VERY polite and helpful. I prefer to do it this way because you usually get a better rate. We arrived and went to go check in. The lobby was nice, it had beautiful local photography and a cafe with computers and a printer for guest use. I held the room with my credit card, but my boyfriend wanted to pay and we CLEARLY stated this ahead of time before check out. The clerk behind the desk ignored us and charged my card for 2 nights anyway upon checkout. No one behind the counter asked it out stay was great, and didn't offer any assitance, where our room was located, or if they can do anything for us. He was less than friendly, but happy to charge you for the stay. He barely knew how to work the computer and seemed unsure of the whole process.

The rooms were great. Very roomy, clean, comfy beds. Good thing we didn't need anything because I'm pretty sure we would never get it. I recommend this hotel for anyone hanging out in Zion, but their customer service NEEDS TO IMPROVE.

1 Thank STLMountainChick
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The Pioneer Lodge is definitely a budget motel but it tries - there are (plastic) flowers in the rooms and an attempt at decor. Our room was completely clean and fine other than the fact that we could hear word-for-word conversations from the people in the motel room next to us (they weren't speaking loudly). It was nice to wake up and see the mountains looming above the hotel and we had a very quick drive into Zion National Park.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Please pay the extra money for a nicer place upfront to avoid any trouble or headaches once your vacation has begun! I have many complaints about Pioneer Lodge. I sent three emails to confirm my reservations during the weeks leading up to my trip, I received no replies. When calling to speak to someone, I had to keep trying for over three hours because the phone was always busy (once I arrived I learned they only have one business phone and line as the employee helping me had to ask a coworker to borrow his personal phone to make a work related phone call while he was on the office phone). When I finally got through, I was told they had no record of my reservation and to contact the website I booked through. When I got through to the website they said they did in fact send the motel all of the necessary information, but that they would send it again. So the next morning when calling to reconfirm, again the same troubles with the phone line being busy for hours. When my call was finally answered I was told there were "technical difficulties." Again I was told they had no record of my reservation. This time a hotel employee told me she would try to get it cleared up and get back to me. No response for four hours, I called to check in with her, only to be told she would not take my phone call and that I should fax my confirmation information to them. Two hours after I sent the fax I called back again, this time I was told they had my reservation and I would have a two bed room on the first floor. Success, or so I thought! We arrived around one pm to see about checking in or at least leaving our bags while we went into the park. I was told the rooms were all still being cleaned so I could not get checked in or get key cards, but that yes they had a room reserved for me so not to worry come back any time after three pm and get your room. So much to my dismay when I arrived to check in, I was told that they had overbooked and therefore had no room for me and I should try a place down the street. Why did they not tell me this earlier when I tried to check in? Obviously I was upset but tried to remain logical. I asked if they had any available rooms (as the vacancy sign was still lit) and was told that they did have a couple of rooms but the heaters did not work and they did not have any portable heaters they could provide. I was told that someone was working on repairing the heaters at that time, so asked if they might call me if they knew a room would be in good working order for that night while I went to inquire of the other hotel they suggested. Even more frustrating was that while I had already paid for the room at the Pioneer Lodge, if I did find accommodations elsewhere I was told I would have to pay for that, there was no sort of agreement that my reservations could be honored or that they would "put me up" in another place since they still had my money and it could not be refunded until I contacted the company I booked through and they got my money back for me. The motel they referred me to was no help as the man at the front desk wearing the "manager" name tag was on the phone for at least 15 minutes doing nothing that sounded like actual work but more of a personal telephone call. After going down the street to a place I will actually go write a positive review for, we were told that the Pioneer Lodge has recently been purchased by new ownership and the townspeople have heard nothing but troubles and complaints from people staying there since that time. During this time I was called back by Pioneer Lodge to be told that they did get the heat working but it was only in a one king bedroom so we would need to rent a pullout bed if we needed the second bed. This was really the last straw so I told them I would like to just get my money back. I was told I needed to go back into their office to sign off that I didn't stay in the room. When I went to do this I was told that they had already told the booking company to refund my money, but surprise surprise when I called the company they had not heard anything from the Lodge, in fact they had showed that the Lodge confirmed my room and that I was staying there, so they had to call the Lodge to confirm the situation. I was told that the Lodge would not send them the written confirmation they needed to refund my money, so I'm still trying to get it back...Throughout this ordeal their vacancy sign remained up and their website still showed that I could book a two queen bedroom. Really disappointed that this ordeal was such a time consuming headache that I had tried multiple times to avoid. I'm not sure who is writing the other reviews but I wish I had seen one that was honest so I could have booked elsewhere the first time around:(

Room Tip: Avoid this place if at all possible
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Gina333106
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I made our booking through Booking.com for 2 nights to celebrate my wife's birthday. Upon arrival, they could not find our reservation and the town was sold out during spring break. They were able to accomodate us in a different room than had been requested. However, they (Bobby) treated us to breakfast the next morning. Upon return to our room the next day after hiking the trails of Zion National park, we were moved to an upgraded room with the accomodations we had requested along with an additional bonus - a jacuzzi bath at no charge. In spite of the trip starting out not the way we would have expected it, it finished very well and my wife was very happy with the weekend. Thanks go to Bobby and the Pioneer Lodge in Springdale, Utah. They obviously care about their patrons...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
super8BYU, Sales & Mkt. Rep at Historic Pioneer Lodge, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Jack C,

Thank you so very much for your compliments, we do strive to provide the utmost customer service to our patrons, and we do care very much that all our guest have the best experience during their travels.

Sincerely, Yours,

Ana
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed 13 March 2012

If you are looking for a get away with a first rate experience, this is the place to stay. The views are beatuful, the location is second to none, the rooms are clean and comfortable, but what made my stay most enjoyable was the customer service. I was treated as if I was the most important customer, in fact, everyone was treated with same personal and unique service, this made my personal trip an epic event.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
super8BYU, Sales & Marketing Rep. at Historic Pioneer Lodge, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Shelly H,

It was delight to have you stay with us! Thank you for your kind words they are very much appreciated, we hope to have you come back to visit us here at the Pioneer Lodge on your next trip to Zion National Park.

Sincerely yours,