1,091 results
All reviews animal orphanage william holden horse riding southern hemisphere beautiful hotel the hotel offers hole golf course breakfast and lunch manicured lawns main building mount kenya stunning views the cottages bush dinner colobus monkeys turn down service amazing place
Reviewed October 29, 2009

The hotel is plush and gorgeous...the service was wonderful too...it is by far the best hotel we stayed at...it does not have the cultural touch but the views are great...we went to their animal orphanage as well - though a bit overpriced...it was lovely because we got to feed a lot of the animals...all in all...an extremely expensive but beautiful hotel..

Date of stay: September 2009
Reviewed August 26, 2009

(First of all, I signed up for Trip Advisor so that I could write this review...that's how bad this place is- please be forewarned). Mt. Kenya Safari Club is set on beautiful grounds with gorgeous views of Mt. Kenya. Rooms are great, views are wonderful, well manicured grounds, nice pool- over all wonderful setting. BUT, none of this matters when you do not have the service to support it.

The service I received while there was the most unprofessional service I have ever witnessed. I have spent a lot of time in Kenya and was so disapointed to encounter this experience. The concierge was a joke and claimed "I don't know much about the mountain" when I asked his advice about day hikes on Mt. Kenya. Reminder: the hotel is at the base of Africa's 2nd tallest mountain- one of the hotel's drawing points! Many more conceirge examples I won't bore you with. The supposed naturalist on site, did not exist, nor was the spa operating (my mom stayed here years ago and told me it was wonderful and that she received the best facial ever- so I was really looking forward to that). Only one of three supposed restaurants were open and it was not of good quality. I was served cold, hard rolls and treated as if I was car part in an assembly line. To makes matters worse, I was over charged for my meals by someone with a terrible attitude (my welcome letter stated that my room rate included full board but when I checked out the conceirge said the letter was a mistake). Ummm....

Please don't waste your time driving there, or your money. There are numerous WONDERFUL other places to stay nearby. I hope the hotel recovers itself b/c it truly is beautiful, but it's beauty is only skin deep as they say! Not sure what happened here; it's a shame. Better to check out Aberdares or Laikipia.

Date of stay: August 2009
6  Thank KJMSAtlanta
Reviewed August 18, 2009

We arrived as part of a 'grown up back packing trip' for one night to the Mount Kenya Safari Club - certianly not good if you are a gap year-er. The welcome was friendly the hotel stunning and the views of Mount Kenya were stunning. It was so lovely that we were only due to stay one night and ended up staying two. The food was superb, all four courses at every meal, the service was great all the staff were friendly - they moved heaven and earth so we could stay another night. The wildlife is worth our long trip up here, and dawn - wow. If you stay here be prepared for a very early start as the sunrises over Mount Kenya they are inspiring and truly awe-some.

My problem with the Mount Kenya Safari Club is since its take over by Fairmont its a bit predictable. The old style colonial glamour of the place had gone, the building hadn't change but it just felt like a american chain hotel. A very nice chain, but still there was nothing there that screamed YOU ARE IN A CHAMPAGNE SET HOTEL! I did however love that we were members of the club whilst we were residents. Maybe i'm just not used to this kind of travel.

There were treatments avaliable and a pool with great views, golf, tennis, dogs to take for a run, curious monkeys and birds, and lots of trips to take. The honeymooners here were treated to allsorts of little extras that I thought were a nice touch.

If you have the budget then stay here, it is very good. They have a sister hotel in Niarobi called the Norfolk.

When i head back to Kenya I will travel all the way from Nairobi to stay here again.

Date of stay: June 2009
Reviewed December 26, 2008

Back after 20 years and what a disapointment. The setting is still one of the best in Africa, but they refurbished the hotel (which was badly needed, indeed) into the same standard rooms you can find in any five star hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Quebec or London. Ugly no-style copies of pseudo French Louis what-so-ever furniture. Open fire with fake MDF-mantlepiece, lampshades Made in China, common pictures of flowers, sad colours on the wall, and sad colours for the orient curtains etc, etc. The only authenticity was the old wooden parquetfloor that they seemed to have restored. What a pity, what a missed opportunity to decorate the rooms in the old nostalgic style of the first settlers with African handicraft decoration. Who was in charge of the decoraton? I saw some Egyptian men taking care. Please fire them for you next refurbishment, they have no feeling at all with the country.
Concerning the rates: why are Kenyan hotels and lodges so ridiculously expensive. Because they have to import everything? But so do we all in Europe. Food is avaliable on their markets and personnel doesn't cost anything in comparison to personnel in European hotels. They charge you michelinstar prices for a meal of good old English boiled carrots, boiled brocoli and peas as canonballs, cooked meat, and a starter of two saladleaves, a half tomato, a quarter of an avocado and mayo from a bottle. The crêpes suzettes were cold and returned to the micro wave and came back as leather;
No televison in the room and no wi fi, as they were still considering what they should charge you.
And they know what to charge you in Kenya...they have fivestar London and Paris prices, and give you twostar Blackpool quality. No wonder only five rooms were occupied during my stay, (which was the case during my whole trip in Kenya).
They should learn in Kenya that worldwide competition is a fact in tourism. It is not emough to have some elephants and rhinos, or some nostalgia stories on Clark Gable and Ava Gardner, or now and then a hype of Out of Africa, to maintain rates that are really exaggerated, especially in those times of financial crisis.

Kenya wants to promote the country as a hidden secret golfdestination: but please not with this golfcourse at Mount Kenya. This is not a golfcourse, just a piece of bush and grass with some flags planted wherever you wants them. Not even a badly maintained pitch and put, Five young Nato military men were sharing one golfbag, one ball and one caddy, and trying to aim the balls at the people ahead of them, probably thinking they were still shooting their bullets..

Date of stay: December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 9, 2008

The hotel grounds are pretty but the rooms are very lodgey! They were remodeling some of their rooms: the suites but that was it. The hotel needs a major upgrade. The food staff just can't wait for you to eat and leave. I'm not sure wgere you should stay in the area but rethink unless you like that lodgey experience.

Date of stay: August 2008