4,273 results
All reviews infinity blue all inclusive package indian restaurant our honeymoon zenzi bar c beach club african drums seven colours free massage a la carte restaurants jean marie walk in wardrobe balafon buffet book restaurants boat trip nature reserve main bar
Reviewed February 27, 2015

This was our 5th visit to Mauritius but second to Awali. We stayed for 19 nights and golfed most days. Golf course as good as ever and held up well after really heavy rain early in the holiday.
The addition of the Indian restaurant is an outstanding and the food there is to die for. The infinity blue is as good as ever. We also had a steak at the steak house and this too was fantastic even though we had to pay a small supplement.
Special mentions for Maniisha and Nishta in the golf pro shop who lit up our early mornings by attempting to teach us French unsuccessfully but we had a great laugh trying!!!
Having been previously we were worried that the more limited choice of restaurants would detract from our visit but the addition of the indian more than made up for this. Thanks also to the boys on the beach who kept us supplied with drinks in the heat and were as friendly as ever.
Highly likely to return again

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank NormanCambridge
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2015

Dear NamronCambridge,

Manesha, Nishta and the beach boys along with all the team members join me in to thank you for having preferred the Heritage Awali, once again, for your recent stay in Mauritius.

Let me also thank you for having shared your comments on Tripadvisor.

Please rest assured that your appreciation will be forwarded to all staff

We look forward to your third visit in the Domaine de Bel Ombre

Christophe Ramdiane,

Reviewed February 23, 2015

As started above, this place is one of the best and the worst hotels I have ever stayed at.

In terms of location, design, and food it is great and hard to fault. BUT the staff and customer service is appalling. This was a big shame as I have saved up for this trip for a long time and also proposed to my girlfriend whiles there.

The big issue is that only about half the staff can speak good English. This means that you have to spend a large amount of your stay miming what you would like and then about 20 minutes later a slightly confused looking waiter will turn up with something completely wrong.

Unfortunately the half of the staff that can speak English are not much more helpful. The best example of this is that after I proposed to my girlfriend, I wanted to book the romantic dinner option on the beach. I went to the so called “customer relations” desk to book this and was told “your ONLY engaged? I’m sorry, that is only for married couples”. Getting engaged where I am from is a fairly big thing and we were pretty insulted by this approach from the hotel. I wouldn’t say it ruined the moment, but this hotel certainly didn’t make it either.

I wouldn’t go back which is a shame as it is a truly beautiful place that is only ruined by terrible service.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
6  Thank tom T
Christophe R, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2015

Dear Tom T,

I wish to seize this opportunity to thank you for having preferred the Heritage Awali for your recent stay in Mauritius

Thank you also for sharing your comments, which will help us sort out and improve on certain areas.

I do sincerely apologise for the lack of customer service you encountered but rest assured that I have forwarded this comment to Joelle, the responsible for the guests relations, who will personally look into the matter and make sure it never happen again.

I hope to get the honour of welcoming you again in the Domaine de Bel Ombre

My best regards

Reviewed February 22, 2015

My husband and I (both 30 years old) stayed here for 10 nights for our honeymoon in Feb on an all inclusive package.

We booked a sea-view room - well worth the small price increase from a garden view. Views amazing, spacious balcony area to relax. Massive bathroom, large comfy super king bed. Slippers and robes provided in the room. Mini-bar included. Stayed in block 4000 on the first floor. Good location, short walk to the beach, bars, restaurants. Very quiet at night, we were never disturbed by noise. We were initially given a ground floor room but this didn't have a private balcony as it stepped directly out onto the pool area - we asked if we could swap rooms which reception arranged straight away no questions asked. Our room was cleaned daily and excellently by our house keeper Madhuce who even went out of her way to replenish the mini-bar with our favourites! Turn down service, clean towels and fresh water each evening.

All inclusive package was great. Premium spirits, great wine and champagne all included. We never went hungry! We found the AI package straight forward and all is explained in the hotel info when you get there. Choice of restaurants were great. Balafon buffet, Indian restaurant Zafarani and Infinity Blue all included in AI for dinner. Balafon buffet had a great selection, freshly cooked food at different stations - different theme every night and waiter service for drinks. Inifinity Blue was more European with a more relaxed feel (don't wear heels - sand on the floor!!). Indian Zafarani we would recommend - amazing food and service - the waiter even remembered our wine selection from our visit the week before! We also ate at Ginja at sister resort Le Telfair. All the restaurants at Le Telfair you can visit at a slightly reduced price - we were told this was 2000rupees each towards the menu but found when we got there this wasn't the case - it was a reduced price of diff things on the menu. We paid around £65 for us both with starters, mains and wine which we thought was great value as the food was delicious. Some reviewers have said they found the service slow - this was never the case for us. We found the staff very quick, efficient and friendly at all times. Like other reviewers I would recommend booking on arrival at guest services. They will try to offer you either 7pm or 9.15pm (I presume this is so they can get 2 sittings in?) but push if you want a different time. It also seems impossible to get a booking less than 48hours in advance (even if the restaurant isn't fully booked - not sure what the reason was for this). We booked all ours on arrival but then changed the later ones a few days in as we discovered which ones we liked more.

Most people seemed to drink at the main bar at the hotel, band played at night for entertainment. Not really our thing - aimed at an older crowd I think! It was fine though for sitting and having a drink after dinner.

Drinks are available all day anywhere in the resort until 11pm. Great selection of cocktails. Beach service during the day - we had amazing service from Avinaash on the beach who was so friendly and remembered our drinks orders each day bringing us new cocktails to try and making sure we were never without a drink! Plenty of comfortable sunbeds on the beach and around the pools. However - we did find that people tended to put their towels out first thing to "reserve" sunbeds meaning that sometimes there weren't any available in the shade. We moved a couple's towels off after seeing the sunbeds unused for an hour only to have them come and shout at us in a fit of rage when they arrived!! We spoke to the hotel manager who advised that it is hotel policy that people shouldn't "reserve" sunbeds in this way. We discussed that perhaps they could get the beach boys to remove towels from unused sunbeds to prevent this from happening but this didn't seem to happen. Perhaps the hotel could try to implement this in future?

My husband played golf on the 18 hole and 9 hole pitch and putt course. The buggy was £20 per person (only pay for those playing). Green fees included. I drove the buggy for him, took photos and enjoyed the views!! Beautiful well maintained course. Lunch at the golf club included in AI with drinks between 12-2.30pm, great selection.

We went on a trip with a guy called Paolo swimming with dolphins. He walks up and down the beach promoting the trips each day, red boat. The trip was ~3hours, 6 of us on the boat. We went to 4 different nearby locations where they found the dolphins and we were able to swim with them. They then took us snorkelling to a nearby reef. Amazing experience and well worth the £50 each (5000 rupees for two)!! We had read reviews about awful experiences swimming with dolphins in the north - this was not the case here. We found them to be very respectful to the dolphins, only a few other boats in the area too, all with engines switched off. Dolphins never seemed distressed.

We went quad biking at Frederica Nature Reserve ~£70 per couple for a double quad. Lasted ~2hours, bit of a hectic fast paced trip, not really able to take in the scenery. Would recommend if you want to quad bike but not if you want a leisurely sight-seeing trip!

Free 45min back massage included in the AI in first few days of arriving. Great! We booked a further 70 min mauritian massage for later in the trip for ~£60 each.

Wifi available in main restaurants, reception areas and rooms. We found it fast enough to check emails, surf web but not streaming.

You can snorkel directly outside the hotel. Beautiful clear warm sea. You will need sea shoes as sharp coral on the floor. Also beware there is a strong current. We took our own snorkelling equipment but it is available from C-beach club if not. C beach club is located down the beach past Le Telfair. About a 10minute walk up the beach. Drinks also available at C beach club but no beach service here.

Le Telfair seemed to be have a bit more of a stuffy atmosphere and mainly aimed at French guests, of which most seemed to be! Awali seemed much more relaxed.

Overall would definitely recommend!! Seemed to suit all ages - honeymooners, families, older guests.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Travelleruk3103
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2015

Dear Madam,

I wish to seize this opportunity to thank you for having preferred our resort for your last stay in Mauritius

Thank you also for having spared some of your time to comment on your experience in the Domaine de Bel Ombre

Please rest assured that I will forward your appreciation to all my staff and most especially to Madhuce and Avinash who will be delighted to know that they have contributed to the success of your holidays

We all hope to get the pleasure of welcoming you again here

Reviewed February 20, 2015

Like other reviewers we arrived in the early hours of the morning to the sound of the drums and the smell of jasmine .
We knew the room would not be ready so came prepared by bringing beach clothes and shoes in our hand luggage . After a quick shower in the courtesy room we were ready for the beach,having already had breakfast . We were told our room was ready and taken to block 5000, which overlooked one of the pools and the beach. The luggage arrived soon after.
At reception we met Natasha who showed us round the resort and we immediately struck up a friendship which lasted the whole of our three weeks. I cannot thank her enough for making our holiday so memorable!
We met two managers during out stay who were very intrested in any feed back we had.
I managed to learn some creole from Natasha so had lots of fun with all the staff making them laugh at my terrible accent. What lovely people, right from the top to the gardeners and beach boys who were always ready with a drink and a smile.
We took the five minute ride to the golf club, where we played on a superb course 12 times.
We met Ryan ,the manager at the golf club, who had been so helpful booking our t- times from my e-mail before we arrived. We wish him the best of luck with the European tour mauritious open in May , which will be great for the island. He managed to always have a chat with us although he is always so busy.
I have to mention manisha, priscilla and nishta in the pro shop who always welcomed us with a smile, as did all the staff who looked after our clubs and made sure they were ready on our buggy when we arrived.
The lunch menu is between 12 and 2.30 on the all inclusive package so get your timing right , and you will again be greeted by the smiling faces of the staff.
This holiday has been superb, if you engage with all the staff you will have a great time and remember how lucky you are to be there!
Try the creole coffee!
Ellen & Kevin Steel 5102

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Ellen S
Christophe-Ramdiane, Manager at Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2015

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Steel,

I wish to thank you for having preferred the Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort during your last stay in Mauritius

Natacha, Manesha, Priscilla and Nishta will be happy to know that they have contributed to the success of your holidays in the Domaine de Bel Ombre

I will forward your review to Ryan as well.

We look forward to your next visit here.

Reviewed February 18, 2015

We had the second week of a fortnights stay on the island is this excellent hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it. The setting is gorgeous, on a long stretch of Palm fringed sandy beach with warm sheltered water set behind the reef.
Our ground floor room ( 5008 ) was well furnished, providing all one could expect, with direct access to a small terrace, tropical gardens and the beach which was within 50 yards or so. The approach to all the rooms from the hotel reception through the wonderful and mature tropical gardens was also a feature, and the best of any of the four hotels in the immediate vicinity.
The all inclusive package is great - order what you want, more or less when you you want it but the scales back home will provide you with bad news when it's all over. The food was good throughout the hotel at all times. Infinity Blue allows a la carte on the beach with the sand between your toes and is well worth booking in advance of arrival - it can get very busy during peak season. We ate there 3 times during the week - the steak was fab.
It's worth checking out which facilities are available at the superior sister hotel, the Telfair, which is next door. This has a lovely colonial vibe, but you can use their pools, water activities and drink in their beach bar FOC on the AI deal.
A quick word about the golf - the course is in great condition and reached via a regular shuttle bus from the hotel reception, reached in a few minutes. Again, you can eat and drink there free on the AI package. Golf carts are £20 per person and not £40 as stated in other reviews, so if you end up in a cart by yourself, it won't break the bank. The Heritage Classic European Tour event will be televised by Sky the second week in May - well worth a look.
If you're looking for a lazy beach holiday with some golf, good food and an option for a few water sports in the unlikely event of a burst of energy, this will be hard to beat.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Jon G

Dear Jon G,

I wish to seize this opportunity to thank you for having preferred the Heritage Awali during your last stay in Mauritius

Thank you also for having shared your review on Tripadvisor, review which will be forwarded to all the team members of the Domaine de Bel Ombre

We look forward to welcoming you again here, and hopefully in a very near future