See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Texicano hotel is just a backpackers place, no more no less. Do not expect anything except for the bare necessities -- a bed, electric fan, table, chair and a filthy old bathroom. No building maintenance, no customer service at all, so definitely no repeat business. We reserved two double-bed rooms and the receptionist said only one is available even though we already made reservations 3 days prior. The other room she gave is a single-bed room even though its pretty obvious 2 people won't fit in. Sadly, common sense is not so common nowadays. A mediocre customer service would have at least compensated the filthiness of the place but the management just gives their customers a reason to never come back.

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Portia A
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We didn't stay at this place in the end despite being moved three times, to three different rooms.

To put things short: Texicano is filthy. All the amenities (especially bathrooms) have prison-cell standard (smell, rust, dirt, spiderwebs - you name it). Still, at 470 PHP (double room with bathroom) we wouldn't expect much more. What they don't tell you though, is that you get one more extra as standard: 5-6 cm cockroaches roaming the rooms.

When we complained about it for the first time, they offered us another room (with just one single bed, nothing like 'we're sorry' or a discount: 'no matter how many beds there are, our rates are per person') and called a staff to 'spray the room'. But then the situation repeated (roaches all over). We asked to be moved to another building with rooms three times as expensive as the one we booked. Obviously no 'sorry' again or discount. I asked the receptionist if the room is going to be clean and bug-free but when she said 'I cannot guarantee that' we knew it was time to say goodbye.

Date of stay: February 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank mocjan
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Texicano is a backpackers place to start with. So don't expect anything fancy. we got a room from their old bldg at the 2nd floor, P430 for a 2 double bed fan room which is good for 2 pax only. since we're 3, we paid another P220. we were expecting that they will put an extra bed but no they didnt but its okay since my husband & I can share a bed. the ceiling fan is strong, gets cold during dawn but noisy so i couldn't get a good sleep, I am a light sleeper, bed is okay and so are the sheets. Toilets need an overhaul and a serious cleaning. NO breakfast but they do have a coffee dispenser and there's a bakery nearby. we didnt tried it because we have to leave early. we checked out late the following day since we went to alot of nearby towns. the receptionist told us that we have to pay extra P375 (halfday charge), we were haggling but she was strict with their policy. its understandable, She however advised us to next time, inform them ahead so she can check us out on time and not pay late check out charges. I couldnt find their cellphone online but she gave me their number 09234037984. The place is strategic. It is located on the main road (JP Rizal, where you can get easy access to transportations going in and out of Laoag), i think 4-5 corners away,a walking distance, (depending on your pace) to the town proper: Plaza, Capitol, Court, Cathedral, sinking tower,monopoly tower, SM, restaurants/ fast food chains, etc.

Date of stay: January 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank pinaynurse
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

The room was too cheap. I expected little from it. I did not realize that my expectation were yet too high for what I paid for.

My room was small. The curtain was torn and unwashed for quite some time. I could not tell where the stench was coming from. My guess is from the old mattress. I felt like I was sleeping beside a decomposing corpse.

The worse was the noise. The hostel was by the main road. In a rural city, roads are curse with the noise and smoke coming from tricycles. Laoag seemed to have the most tricycles than any place that I've been. The noise was non-stop. It was like being caught in a gunfire. I was lucky to have fallen into light sleep until a louder sound woke me up. It was a long bus running at 100km per hour, taking advantage of the almost empty road. I thought for a second that a bomb blew off. I felt the room move.

In the morning, I packed my bag and ran for my life

Date of stay: October 2013
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Ruth A
Reviewed November 30, 2013

My last day in Laoag. My bus ride back to manila is around 12pm. This is the nearest hotel to the bus station. I inquired for a room. All their a/c rooms are full. I ended up in a solo fan room with t&b. I took it. It's just a few hours anyway. I just need a place to rest before the long bus ride home. The weather in Laoag was a little cold at this time of year, so the fan room was ok. I was given a small soap upon check-in. I went up the stairs (it seems this is standard in Laoag Hotels), entered my room and immediately I got dismayed. This is not a hotel room by standards. The bathroom door has no door knob. Much worse, the toilet bowl has no seat cover. The bathroor floor is so dirty, same with the walls and ceiling which by the way is falling apart. The shower head is rusted and water is not strong. Everything you see in the bathroom is in a mess. I entered the room. Bed sheet is very old. There was also an old towel. The window curtain is full of dust. And again, the ceiling is falling apart. Visitors... Don't sit on the chair. It's a trap. Avoid getting rooms on their old building. There are other budget hotels nearby. If you have no choice, try to get a room in the new building...

Date of stay: November 2013