See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 26, 2017 via mobile

Just came back from my first low season in Thailand.It won't be my last.I stayed in the independent bo once again as it is by far the most beautiful location I have stayed in..Not talking about over rated 4 Star rooms with Jacuzzi but about back to the roots payable bungalows with charming character and amazing views,right on the beach- authentic Thailand which is getting scarce. A warm welcome is granted and it's easy to make new travel friends or just have some quality time with yourself.Dont be put off by the rainy season.It really doesn't rain all the time,plenty of sun and above all the pace on the island is much slower.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed November 21, 2016

We moved here after i saw some photos of this place on istagram. We were staying in Siam Hut, but were searching for some quieter place.
Independent Bo is a unique place, where you can relax, enjoy the beach, have some conversation with Fiona, the charming scottish host (what an incredible woman!) or enjoy some delicious food in the restaurant nextdoor.
Tourism has changed in Thailand. Sometimes, you are the european, who brings the money, and sometimes you are a welcomed guest. Independent Bo is one of the places in Thailand, where you feel welcome.
The huts are simple, yet cheap. Its a quiet place, but i had some good discussions and laughs there. Fiona is like a mom. Strict, but heartwarming, charming, hilarious and you can learn a lot from this hell of a woman!
I recommend Independent Bo to anyone who wants to leave behind the Fullmoonparties, the drunk and loud Backpackers. Instead of that you'll find some good talks, nice people, good food, amazing nature.
Intended to stay 2-3 nights, stayed for more than a week.

Room Tip: Früh aufstehen, sich was zu trinken holen, ein Buch auf der Terrasse lesen und die Tiere beim Aufwachen beobachten
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank juliasU5443TP
Reviewed May 1, 2016

My girlfriend and I where walking along the beach, looking for accommodation. We were checking out of our hotel the next day and looked to find a nice place on the beach. It's low season on the island and as a manager of a hotel on a different Thailand island, I can tell you, every penny counts during low season!
The "western woman" mentioned in a lot of the reviews is Scottish, I know this as I have lived in Scotland for a long time. She was not rude to me at all, Scottish people can have an accent that tends to sound a little bit rude at times or slightly too formal. What I'm trying to say is that it's not rudness.
However, we didn't book, for the simple reason that we were not allowed to look at the rooms.
So, it's low season, everyone is competing on the island for customers (as it's quite), also, managers and owners are not that busy with other guests so to take 10 mins out of your day to show prospective customers your rooms would only boost your income.

We were going to book a room at 600 baht per night for 3 night, so we would have spent 1800 baht and money at the bar, this never happened and someone else got our custom by simply showing us the room before we agreed to pay.
We did stay for a drink as it was raining, here is what I found, and saw.
We didn't book remember so the business lost 1800 baht. I witnessed two other girls come in to have a look but they too were not allowed to have a look so another 1800 baht was lost (plus drinks they may have bought).
So just within 10 mins the business lost 3600 baht by not showing rooms.
The next point is this, if you are not a guest you can not use the wifi there, the reason is that they only have 1 router. This is fair enough in high season but as most routers can host 28 users and the hotel was empty then allowing some prospective customers to use the wifi should have been allowed.
The third and final point is this. We left our shoes at the top of the stairs (there is a sign that tells you to remove them), when we went to leave they had been thrown down the stairs, I know they were thrown as my girlfriends were at least 1.5 meters apart (this doesn't happen when shoes are placed together), the problem was that it was raining very heavy and due to the shoes being thrown they ended up out side. The problem being that they were a proper shoe and the rain water filled them to the top, I know we are on a beach bu it's not the point, the point being is that an owner of a business should have more respect and regards for people's belongings. This lead me to the opinion of "if that's how they treat people's belongings then I wonder how they treat there own".

So to summarise, in the 1 hour I was there the business lost 3600 baht plus any drinks the customers may have spent. It also cost them a bad review on trip advisor.

The place (as mentioned in other reviews) looked dirty and in desperate need of a paint job and a good clean, something they should be doing every time peak season ends.

It's a real shame as the beach is beautiful but the place is desperately being mismanaged by the Scottish lady.

The worse thing you can ever say to a customer is NO! Ask any owner of a respectable hotel chain!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Dawn T
Reviewed December 2, 2015 via mobile

Asked to see a room and we were confronted with a drunk, abusive western women whom was working there, so we left immidiatly! We didn't even get to see a room, as she wouldn't let us see one without booking 3 nights minimum, but the place looked filthy and unsafe. We have visited ko chang several times and people have always been friendly, we were shocked! I wouldn't stay there if she paid me to! There are much better places to stay for similar prices.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Tim N
Reviewed November 26, 2015 via mobile

The location is really stunning, White Sand Beach is very peaceful with totally clear water and a pontoon to swim out and sit on to watch the sunset. It's perfect if you're looking for a relaxed beach experience.
The hostel itself has a cool bohemian style and is half on the beach and half in the jungle, so you're really immersed in nature. It is the cheapest on that strip of beach so be prepared for very basic facilities (including toilet - no bum guns or bins!) and potentially a steep climb to your bedroom! There are a number of very accessible and tasty places to eat/drink on the little beach strip that surrounds it.
However, we had some reservations about our stay in the hostel itself - they require a 3 night minimum stay, which then starts again if you change rooms for whatever reason. We found this to be a big commitment if you only have limited time on Koh Chang. We therefore also ended up double paying rooms one night as we wanted to stay 1 night in Lonely Beach, but couldn't check out of Bo's for the night due to the minimum stay. We also found that the female hostel owner flickered drastically between being friendly and helpful, to being rude and abrasive. This left us with a bittersweet memory of our time on Koh Chang, at the very end of our trip. All in all, an enjoyable stay on White Sand Beach, but if I return to the island I will be tempted to stay in a different guesthouse down in Lonely Beach, which itself has much more atmosphere and choice in cheaper accommodation and restaurants/bars.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends