“Unreal location, great staff!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Iguana

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Corn Island
Casa Iguana
Bozeman, Montana
“Unreal location, great staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Unlike some other posters on here, this was my family’s first trip to LCI. I am the one who booked the trip, and I thought long and hard about where to stay on Little Corn. It is pretty tough to know after reading the reviews what you should be believe/dismiss. For me, the reason I chose Little Corn instead of Big Corn was to get away from it all…no roads being the first thing that jumped out at me. There is simply no way to know the true picture of what the lodges are from an online review. However, if you’re going to Little Corn, like we were, for a bit of escape I suggest you look no further than Casa Iguana. It’s the old real estate saying to me that applies even more strongly here “location, location, location.”

LCI Beach and Bungalow might have better accommodations – we only walked by on the beach and did not look at their rooms. But their cabins are very closely located next to other cabinas from other establishments. Casa Iguana, on the other hand, was completely on its own. It stands at the southern end of LCI, on 30 (?) acres of land. The dining area is up on a bank and the view us absolutely unparalleled anywhere else on the island. So if you’re going to LCI to get away from it, your only choice should be Casa Iguana. If on the other hand you want a social scene with more people on the beach, chose a place other than Casa Iguana that might be cheaper. That is not to say Casa Iguana is isolated – it isn’t – but you do get away from groups of people.

On to other items, my blonde-haired, blue-eyed wife is a human pincushion when it comes to mosquitoes. The entire time we were on LCI we had a strong (!) ocean breezes from the east. My wife did not apply insect repellant a single time, yet sustained not a single bite. I have traveled to Latin America many, many times in my life. I am all too painfully aware that mosquitoes can find the smallest opening to penetrate into a room. They could have the finest mesh cover the doors, but the small gap at the bottom of the doors would provide sufficient entry for a female mosquito with a voracious appetite. So while there are some holes in mosquito netting on doors/windows in some of the cabins, the mosquito netting over both our bed, and that of my parents (in another casita) were without holes. Then again, we never even considered using that netting.

Some of the comments on here really had me questioning whether to stay at Casa Iguana or not. It seemed many were unhappy with interrupting the private party of the staff. After staying there, I have to wonder what planet those people who made those comments were from. Margaret, Emma, Megan, and Doug always greeted us with a smile and willingness to answer any question or help with suggestions for fishing/snorkeling/other dining choices. We never once ignored. And Elsa, the Nicaraguan lady who will wait on you during many of your meals here is quick with a smile and helpful “insider” information. And at 50+ years of age, neither my wife nor I are into the “party” scene, so that had nothing to do with how well we were treated. Engage these wonderful folks in conversation and you will be rewarded. We visited with our eight-year old son and my mid 70’s parents. We represented three generations there and all of us were very happy with Casa Iguana.

As for cost, yes Casa Iguana is more expensive than other places on the island. But as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. The location alone is worth the price. And I refuse to gripe about $2 beers when you consider who difficult it is to get anything to this island.
Also consider this if you’re a coffee drinker. Each morning a few people were at Casa Iguana at 7 for a cup of coffee. These were folks who came to Casa Iguana just to have a cup of the outstanding coffee. I have no clue how anyone could claim it was watered down. And it is outstanding. You also must bring your appetite and try the coconut bread French toast. Be prepared though, it’s four pieces…four large, thick, coconutty pieces.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Eugene, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

We returned to Casa Iguana after a stay last year. It is in a perfect location on the windward side so cooler and a easy pleasant walk to "town" and restaurants. The staff were mostly great and friendly. The atmosphere is laid back and restful. The casitas are nicely placed overlooking the ocean with hammocks on a nice deck. The rates were high though compared to what was available elsewhere on the island. Similar or even better lodgings were less. We paid 1/3 again over what we paid last year. The casitas take a lot of wear with all the wind. The window in our room was loose in it's frame and rattled loudly making it difficult to sleep and the outdoor shower door was blown off one night which was repaired quickly. It has become popular and is a nice place to stay but check out your options. Little Corn is changing quickly, much building is happening.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Tempe, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

This was by far my favorite hostels in all of my travels to Central and South America. The location was perfect and the cabanas were over looking the beautiful ocean. They also had a great atmosphere with their bar that introduced us to a lot of new friends. We even got a discount on scuba diving! The best part of it was the hostel staff. Doug the manager showed us around town and helped us find fun things to do everyday as well as at night. He definitely made the stay fun.

Room Tip: Just show up!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Ahsahka, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

My wife and I spent 8 days at Casa Iguana in Feb. 2012. We enjoyed the place, the grounds were nice, accommadations were good and clean, basic as one should expect. The staff was not real friendly, and left much to be desired, but I am sure if you were single, 22 yrs. old, and a bronze beauty or surfer dude, into the drinking and party scene, it would have been different. The windward breezes were excellent and the temps were good in the cabinas even though there was no air conditioning, it was not needed. The restaurant was good. A bit spendy, but most are due to the location. Free coffee for the guests was great, even though it was watered down. All in all, I recommend Casa Iguana, we would stay there again.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Casa Iguana has it all. Rustic but all- you- need style accommodations, excellent lodge meals and friendly staff. We ate in town several nights but each time concluded, the chef at Casa is superb. My stay included 6 nights in a cabina with shared bath just a short distance away. The view was limited due to cabina location but the room nice. The last 3 nights we upgraded to a casita and that was the highlight of our stay as we looked right over the teal green sea. The grounds are impeccably kept and the lodge dogs so sweet. The breezes that cool your room make for many peaceful nights of sleep. I loved everything about this place!

Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Casa Iguana's location is perfect....the grounds are well maintained. There was always a comfortable breeze and the brightly colored Casitas offer a beautiful view of the Caribbean. There is nothing better than to hear the sound of the ocean as you doze off to sleep......Both the local and international staff are friendly and accommodating and make you feel welcome. The staff went out of their way to make sure all needs were met. They were very informative with regard to the island and what it has to offer. The lodge is a great place to meet fellow travelers and enjoy great food and drink. Casa Iguana offers a very relaxing environment. I only wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Miss_Liz_SC
British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Every one at Casa Iguana did a fabulous job of making this a very nice location and destination. From the moment we got off the boat, Margaret and the boy who carried our luggage in the wheel barrel (and also kept night watch) was there to make us feel welcome and safe. When we woke in the morning the groundskeepers were outside working hard and making the grounds look perfect. Doug was always around to answer any questions that we had and had great advise and answers to our many questions. Location was great and close to the village. We met a lot of people on the island who were staying at other places on the island who seemed to think that the location of Casa Iguana was great as well. For a couple, for a a romantic getaway, Casa Iguana is perfect. We had considered LCBB for our stay, as well, but had decided that, for us, as a couple, (as apposed to one couple in a large group), that Iguana might be a better pick. After being there I believe that we made the right choice. The Casitas are very private, while still giving the option to mingle with other travelers in the lodge. Price wise,yes its true that for backpackers,it might be a bit high, but for middle age couples, say, 30 something and older, its perfect bang for your buck. The availability of ice, beach towels,and,Wifi, the fact that they take credit cards and the coffee is ready and free in the lodge at 7 am were also a big plus for us. I would have to say that I thought 65 dollars per night seemed to be fair to me for the casitas. If you do not want to pay the slightly high price for the meals, then the village options are super close, and,if you have a flashlight, also super convenient. If you, like us and many others that we met, do not take enough cash onto the island and need to use your credit card, then the price is perfectly fine since they take credit cards.( Where as most places on the island do not). I did not stay in the cheaper 35 dollar/night cabanas but definatly did not experience any bugs or any other unpleasant critters in our casita at all....not even mosquitos....All in all, I would totally recommend Casa Iguana and would return in a heartbeat. Thank you to all of the workers who really work hard and made Casa Iguana a really wonderful place to visit.

Room Tip: I liked the Casitas
16.8 km away
Arenas Beach Hotel
Arenas Beach Hotel
#5 of 7 in Big Corn Island

Been to Casa Iguana? Share your experiences!