“A nice surprise.”

Ranked #2 of 61 Restaurants in Matagalpa
Price range: US$2 - US$11
Cuisines: American, Latin
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Happy was born from the desire to bring the diverse range of cuisines and ethnicities from California to Matagalpa while utilizing the freshest local ingredients to support small, local farmers and producers. Chef and co-owner, Thor was born and raised in California and cooked professionally in several renowned restaurants and hotels in the San Francisco Bay Area. Co-owner Gustavo, born in Matagalpa, spent over 30 years in the San Francisco Bay Area working in Banquets and Catering. Specializing in fine hospitality and friendly service, Gustavo excelled at such well known hotels as Crowne Plaza, Sheraton, and Hilton. Together Gustavo and Thor have created Happy, a place to enjoy comfortable, delicious, fresh, and affordable cuisine. We will continually strive to provide the best quality ingredients and occasionally change the menu to evolve with our customers' feedback and culinary desires. We welcome your comments and very much appreciate your patronage.
Reviewed 21 November 2016

The name makes you smile and then wonder exactly what California food could be? Although I was afraid it would be bean sprouts and salad, we were pleasantly surprised to find a very varied menu. I enjoyed the "Wet" Burrito with the shredded pork which was excellent; my husband enjoyed a pulled pork sandwich and my friend, a good ole hamburger. The owner was pleasant and we enjoyed meeting him. We will go back and try a few more items on the menu.

Reviewed 21 November 2016 via mobile

After walking around Matagalpa for a couple of hours, my friends and I decided we needed some food. We went to Happy California and were not disappointed. We were greeted warmly by one of the owners and the coolness of AC, and free wifi.
The atmosphere is relaxing after a small climb up the steps to enter the restaurant. Tables are made from tree trunk sections and has a warm lodge feeling. The menu is basically American fare, with just the right amount of options. One friend ordered the happy burrito, it's a like a breakfast burrito and a good sized burrito at that, the other friend ordered a BLT and it smelled like summer deliciousness, fresh, and I ordered the hamburger with everything and fries, one of the best hamburgers I have had since arriving in Nicaragua.

Prices may seem higher than some other dining options available, and it is worth it if you are in search of a good American-style meal. You will find happiness here.

Reviewed 19 November 2016

I highly recommend this restaurant. it has a superb menu; everything we ordered exceeded our expectations. But, above all the service was great; very friendly staff.Great customer service. We are definitely going back to enjoy their delicious dishes.

Reviewed 19 November 2016

Like most of you, we found Happy on Tripadvisor and visited the restaurant looking forward for a break from rice and beans in Nicaragua. Immediately we were greeted with warmth by Gustavo, Happy's passionate and effusive owner. He turned on the A/C which was a very nice gesture considering the midday heat and he discussed the menu with us as we struggled to decide between all the wonderfully described items.

Despite the variety of enticing dishes, I was feeling Texan and chose the pulled pork sandwich. I am not exaggerating when I say that at the first bite it was clear that this was the best food I had had in Nicaragua. The bread was fresh and delicate, true artisan style, the pork was perfectly tender and seasoned in only the way the most creative chefs can. The sandwich was served with a bright and creamy jalapeno coleslaw which was, of course, excellent and yes, even the fries were fantastic. Just incredible. It is insane, but that pulled pork sandwich ranks among the best pulled pork sandwiches I've had anywhere in Texas. I cannot speak for my travel companions, but they seemed to be blown away with their choices - the wet burrito and another pulled pork.

After eating rice, beans, and plantains for a month, this place was a revolution, and even then, this place would be an excellent eatery in Austin, Miami, San Francisco, and New York. It was not just the quality of the food and the restaurant's ambiance, but the way that Gustavo treated us, genuinely warm and curious about our travels and inspired by his place and the great food he has crafted.

After writing this review, I will go back for my final meal there!

Reviewed 19 November 2016 via mobile

We found this place via trip advisor listed as a top restaursnt in Matagalpa and are so happy we did! Great location we sat outside overlooking the square where there was a hype of activity.

The owner was so friendly, not pushy in any way and gave us some brilliant recommendations of things to do whilst we were here.

I ate the hamburger which was mouthwatering good!! My partner had a wet burrito which was also delicious.

As two backpackers on a tight budget we don't usually eat in restaurants but are so glad we made a trip here. The food was very fairly priced and the quality was fantastic.

Highly recommend thank you for a lovely lunch!!