“Fajardo to Culebra round trip”
Review of Fajardo Ferry

Fajardo Ferry
Ranked #10 of 12 things to do in Fajardo
Reviewed August 1, 2017

The tickets are cheap but the experience is taxing because it is over crowded, difficult to buy tickets in advance, often behind schedule and the lines can be insane.

Reviewed July 30, 2017

We booked a kayaking/ snorkeling trip from Fajardo to Culebra. We paid in full which included the transport fees to and from the islands via the ferry. First, we sat in line forever - over an hour and fifteen minutes - on the filthy ground and packed in like sardines! Then, our ferry didn't leave until well after an hour than it was supposed to! (Causing our guided trip to also be shortened in length!)

When the "guards" went over what I can only guess was the rules and safety precautions for the trip, my family and I felt we were at a boot camp where a giant man was YELLING at the people in our section of the boat in spanish and we had three more guards around the interior of the section which felt eery.

Coming back, the line was better, but again, we left over an hour late, causing us to miss our dinner reservations we had planned well in advance. There is NO taxi stand (our concierge said there was) - so when returning, make sure you have transportation set up in advance!

This needs to be run by a charter company with MUCH better customer service reliability.

Reviewed July 27, 2017 via mobile

Tried twice to access during our 1 week stay in PR. First time leftbSan Juan A-T 5 am and arrived in Fajardo at 6 am , we were told we'll have a 50/50 chance , and after almost 3 hours of not moving in line, they were sold out .
Second time we thought we'll be there early to catch the 4 AM ferry or the 9 AM ... Arrived in line at 3 AM , still hundreds of ppl in line that have been there since midnight ...were told to wait for 1 hour , then the 4 am sold out . The 9 Am ferry that takes 600 ppl was broken for the day and they were trying to fix it , we just decided to leave since we were told it may be after lunch that they might leave , if they ever fix it ... Worst experience , exactly like the reviews we read and we should have listened to ... pretty much it ruined two of our days of vacation, waking up in the middle of the night for nothing . Nobody knows how many tickets are left , how many people they can take , what are your real chances of getting on the ferry if you wait for hours . We did feel like animals being herded without direction !
Oh , and the waiting area - it's in the middle of the road , surrounded by trash , stray dogs, disturbed / drunk locals picking cigarettes off the ground and talking to themselves , ppl trying to convince you to park on their " private " shady parking lots and loud music coming from all directions . Quite a scene !
If you don't want a snorkel/ scuba tour on Culebra-which we didn't because of open water rather than off shore , the only way to access the island is by this ferry( which is meant for The Culebra rezidents) or expensive flight ( around 100$ / person). Good Luck !!

Reviewed July 27, 2017 via mobile

I lived her in the 90s and it was never like this.
Of all the places I have visited on this planet this has, by far, been o e of the most disappointing experiences. It is pure chaos with no signs. We came at 8am for a 9am ferry to Culebra. It was so confusing and chaotic we did not even receiver our tickets until 8:48. Then we got in a line under a hot tent with 6 small fans and about 300 until after 10am. Then they let the people who got in line last go first onto the ferry. The lady taking the tickets was rude and screaming at everyone. The need a newer streamlined system. Also, many people were standing in a line in the sun the whole time as well and never even got on the ferry. Horrible.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 27, 2017

What a nightmare. We arrived at the ferry at 7:30 AM for the 9 AM trip to Culebra. We had already reserved our tickets, so we were able to skip the massive line that had already formed. A security guard looked at our tickets and then at us. I use a cane to walk and my 71-year old mother was with us. The guard handed us our tickets and told us to go to a specific corral to wait. My husband and son were sent to the general waiting area. Fearing there would be steps to navigate, my mother asked the guard to let us stay together so that my husband could help me. The guard refused. My mother argued with him, pointing out that I was handicapped. He said "Prove it. A cane means nothing." My mother went to a different official, who allowed my husband to join us but my son had to stay in the other area because he was "old enough" to wait by himself. We definitely felt like cattle that had been herded and leaving my son alone was very uncomfortable for me.
The ferry did not depart until 10:30, an hour and a half late. The ride was very rough and several people were obviously sick. Of course, the ferry operators cannot control the roughness of the water but the staff seemed to be so used to sick passengers that they offered no assistance beyond passing out barf bags.
The islands of Culebra and Vieques are beautiful but the ferry is the primary way to reach them. A nicer ferry with a compassionate staff would be appreciated.

1  Thank queendawn