“Not too bad if you plan ahead”
Review of Fajardo Ferry

Fajardo Ferry
Ranked #9 of 11 things to do in Fajardo
Reviewed April 5, 2018

My wife and I took the ferry from Fajardo to Culebra for a 3 night stay in Culebra. We read alot of negative reviews beforehand about taking the ferry but we decided it was our only option since we are both afraid to fly in the small prop planes that fly to Culebra. In alot of the reviews, we read that you have to arrive several hours early at the ferry terminal in order to stand in line to buy tickets. Afterward, you have to stand in a second line in order to actually board the ferry and you are not even guaranteed a seat on the ferry. Not to mention that the ferry can be cancelled at anytime due to weather or mechanical failure. The night prior, we stayed in an airbnb and our host had purchased us a set of roundtrip tickets for the ferry a couple of weeks in advance (for a small $20 fee). Make sure to buy roundtrip tickets in order to make things easier. I have read that you can't buy ferry tickets in advance or buy them online but our host was able to do so. I have also seen at least one company online that offers to buy your ferry tickets for you after you send them a fee through paypal. We arrived at the ferry terminal about 1 hour and 30 minutes from departure. We parked in the parking lot nearest to the terminal that charges $5 a day instead of the much larger area that increases by $5 each day. We then stood in the main line (disney style lines). It was already about 3/4 full and completely full after about another 30 minutes. There are no chairs so you have to stand up unless you want to sit on the ground. Also there is another area nearby for VIP's and island residents that does have chairs for them. Once boarding starts they are able to board first. We had two carry on suitcases and one large suitcase. We read online that they charge a small fee for baggage however, we did not have to pay anything extra and many people had suitcases, backpacks, coolers, and beach umbrellas with them. There were even a couple of small dogs. Once on board you have to place your luggage in a luggage room at the front of the ferry located on the main deck. We wanted to be close to our luggage so we sat on the main deck. The windows on the main deck are slightly too high to look out of while sitting down and they don't allow anyone to stand up while the ferry is in motion. On our return trip we tried to sit on the next level up but they had it roped off when we boarded. The actually ferry ride for us was rather smooth due to the good weather. I took a dramamine pill anyway and fell asleep. It took about an hour each way and many other people on the ferry also slept. Not too bad as long as you plan ahead to avoid the lines.

5  Thank VegasTravelin
in 16 reviews
"seasick"
in 28 reviews

Reviewed March 30, 2018

We read to get to the ferry early to ensure our tickets (we did - 2 hours early to be exact) the ferry was an hour late leaving and by that time we were in the sun and baking. My kids were ready to give up just as we finally boarded... I'm glad we didn't!

The cost was less than $20.00 for 4 of us and the best advice I got was to buy a round trip ticket leaving Fajardo so that we didn't have to wait in line on the way back - while the to get to Culebra was long, the ride was smooth (I do sometimes get motion sick so I was worried, but had NO issues whatsoever) and the wait to board back was only about 45 minutes or so...

Upper levels were air conditioned (top deck wasn't open for either of our trips) and my best advice? Know that the destination is worth it and look at it as a cultural adventure. The staff spoke little to no english and were definitely on "island time" but in your beach chair with a cooler of beer and water and a good book? Who cares!!

1  Thank Shauna S
Reviewed March 17, 2018

Big waves had it in for a good ride. Very reasonable fare and comfortable seats. On time and easy access.

1  Thank Kinshasajack
Reviewed March 16, 2018 via mobile

At first I was afraid to take the ferry because of all the reviews, it was delayed on the way to vieques by 15 minutes. On the way back it was a beautiful day so we sat up on top and then if you’re tired you can take a nap down in the bottom it is very cold inside with the air conditioning.

1  Thank nabra2017
See more reviews
Reviewed March 12, 2018

One of the WORST experiences of my life. It may be a cheap way to get to the island of Culebra, but you may be in for a horrible experience. Trying to get a ticket on-line is a joke. The ferry schedule fluctuates because no one is in any kind of hurry. One hour going out and two hours coming back on the "cattle car" they took us on. As soon as I saw men on either side of the cabin with a stack of "barf bags", I knew I was in trouble. I have never been so sick in my entire life. Try anything to get to Culebra other than the ride from hell!!!

Date of experience: April 2017