“Great view, Beautiful room, Wonderful Staff - memorable stay”
Review of Edgewater

Edgewater
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Wanaka
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I only have 2 regrets from my trip to Queenstown and Wanaka - My first regret is that I could not skydive due to weather conditions and my second regret is not having spent more time at Edgewater and Lake Wanaka. It is one of the best resorts I have been to and I had a truly memorable time from check in to check out, it all went smoothly.
I loved my room - cosy with bright colors, beautiful and comfy bed, floorboards in the bathroom and the non-slippery mat & flashlight provided were very thoughtful.
You walk into the room and you get a welcoming feeling with the door open and the radio on. There is also a fan in case it gets too warm. The paper at your doorstep in the morning is also a nice touch.
The view of Lake Wanaka from my balcony was stunning. It made you want to grab a seat, grab a book, put some Gotye on and lose yourself in the novel for hours lifting your head once in a while to admire the view.
The staff were great - really friendly, helpful and always up for a chat. Edgewater is about 15 mins walk to town so it's not too close but you get to walk along Lake Wanaka so I was happy with that. It is also great for jogging and runs.
I loved the fold out map that comes with your room key upon check in!
Edgewater offers the option between a full or continental breakfast. You have to try their award winning scone with whipped cream - delicious.
I loved everything about the hotel and had a wonderful and relaxing time. I will definitely stay there when I return next year.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Kevin S
Edgewater_Resort, Public Relations Manager at Edgewater, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Dear Kevin,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience of staying at Edgewater. I am pleased you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and had the chance to sample our award winning scones! We look forward to welcoming you back again next year.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed at this high level resort for two consecutive years.Everything was to our satisfaction.At 300 -350nz dollars per night I hoped for free internet.This was not the case.The service staff was helpful and very friendly.

Room Tip: A must: rooms facing the lake
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for sharing your experience of staying at Edgewater and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. In response to your feedback we do offer a free internet service at our lobby internet kiosk. Sorry if you were not advised of this at check in. We are currently working with our internet service provider to look at providing an introductory internet service in room.

Reviewed 8 February 2012

Readonably modern, clean and good service (staff are a good blend of tourists / locals). Depending on the room, the view is lake / mountain and is incredible. Winter is awesome and laying on the grass in summer by the lake is equally stunning, good running track along lake from resort too. Close to Wanaka as well. Well worth a look! Food is awesome, always a top chef on board and the food is a reflection of this. I'm a business traveller and they have always made me feel welcome.

• Stayed: July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of staying at Edgewater. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next business trip to Wanaka.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

This is a senstational spot to take in the beauty of lake wanaka and the amazing mountain scenery. The restaurant is excellent with a great menu, friendly attentive service and superb views across the lake.

• Stayed: February 2012

Dear Paul,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience of staying at Edgewater. I am pleased you had a wonderful stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again one day soon.

Reviewed 5 February 2012

This is a nice hotel with a good location and very nice suites, I can sympathise with 'bearsfolks' review tho', I was probably at the party this reviewer talks about, and have to say I would have been a bit fed up if I hadn't been at the party.
Food was ok, Bar Staff very nice although did find the reception staff not so great,
If this was my Hotel I would definitely change the facade of the hotel blocks as you drive in, they look like Butlins in the 60's with these HUGE numbers on each block.
Only other downside is the hotel is rather isolated, it is a long walk to a bar/restaurant or shop.

Room Tip: The suites are definitely worth the extra
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Edgewater_Resort, Public Relations Manager at Edgewater, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

Dear Stephen,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your visit to Edgewater. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

We do have quite large numbers on our accommodation wings which we chose to make it easier for guests to find their way around.

The 15 minute stroll along the lakefront and through the poplars into the heart of Wanaka is enjoyed by our guests and it is only a few minutes drive via road. Edgewater’s lakefront location provides a tranquil, yet accessible haven for our guests (many of whom come from large cities) within easy reach of the boutique town of Wanaka.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

The Edgewater is a beautiful hotel with spacious rooms and a great view of the lake which is within a minute’s walk for a relaxing stroll. Or you can just chill out in your room or just outside and enjoy the tranquility.
That is, you could do so, unless you happen to be there on a day when there is something going on next door, as there was when I stayed there, in which case the windows in your room will be vibrating from the music, and you will hear the pounding base until 1 am. The front desk made it sound like it was a club or a reception site. There apparently isn’t anything that the hotel can do about it, nor, according to them, is there any point to moving you to another room because they claim that the noise is as bad in every room. As the evening progressed, the sound got louder and louder. The noise was so bad that at night we could hear it over the sound of our white noise machine. At 11:45pm, when we complained again, they offered to find us a room at another hotel—something they did not do when we first complained about at 6pm! The manager apologized for “the inconvenience”. In my book, being unable to sleep because of noise is deprivation of a basic necessity that one expects from a hotel; it is not an “inconvenience”
So much for the “long twilight evenings (to) unwind and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere” advertised in one of the hotel brochures.
It could have been a great stay. So, before you book a room there, enquire about the situation next door, unless you want to relive your days at a Club Med. Unless they fix that, you might as well be staying at a backpacker’s motel—nothing wrong with motels, but you know what to expect when you stay at one.
By the way, if you do decide to stay there, I’d suggest that you pick a room without any neighbors above you—the sound insulation seems to be non-existent.
If the Edgewater had any consideration for their guests they would close the hotel down for the day(s) that this sort of event happens, but their basic attitude, based on our experience, is a complete disregard for their guests’ welfare. This was made most clear to us, when we told the duty manager that they were going to get a scathing review on TripAdvisor, he said, and I quote, “Good luck with the review on TripAdvisor”!

Room Tip: Do not take a downstairs room. Stay away from the left side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bearsfolks
Edgewater_Resort, Public Relations Manager at Edgewater, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Edgewater is very sorry for the situation during your stay, preventing you from enjoying a restful night at our usually tranquil location.

The music came from the nearby vineyard as they hosted their biennial music festival. Unfortunately a change in the direction of the wind during the evening accentuated the direction of the music, affecting Edgewater more than we would have anticipated (and we believe further afield in Wanaka). The event finished at 12.30am.

As it was a long holiday weekend, Edgewater was fully occupied and we were therefore unable to offer an alternative room for you. However, given the weather and wind conditions it may not have made too much difference in this particular instance.

Again, please accept our apologies.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

we stayed there for 3 nights... the suite was very big and well equipped.
the restaurant is good... staff is polite and helpful...

only problem i found was they didnt have a elevator to go on the 1st floor, so it becomes tiresome with the luggage... other than that everything was good.

they have a huge lakefront.... so everybody gets their own space.

i am impressed and will definitely go back.

Room Tip: get a room on the ground floor... you will enjoy the lush green lawn and very easy access to lakefro...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of staying at Edgewater. I am pleased you enjoyed our lush lawns and lakefront location. Do come back and visit us again one day soon.