“Disappointing”

Bistro Gentil
Ranked #4 of 91 Restaurants in Wanaka
Cuisines: European, French, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in a beautiful garden setting infused with artwork from world renowned artists, overlooking the lake and mountains of Wanaka, Bistro Gentil serves wonderful modern French cuisine using only the best seasonal produce from Central Otago and it's kitchen garden. Being the first South Island restaurant to house an Enomatic wine-dispenser system, diners can enjoy a range of fine wines by either the glass, half glass or taster. With indoor and outdoor seating, we are open for à la carte dining Tuesday to Saturday evenings. A seven course degustation menu is also available on Friday and Saturday. You are welcome to try our complimentary samples of olive oils and pure fruit balsamic vinegars. Bistro Gentil was recommended in the 2014 Cuisine Good Food Guide.
Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

Visiting wanaka we decided to splash out and do the 5 course degustation.
I know it is a wine bar, but we were really there for the food (sample menu looked great).
We were presented with a wine menu. I said that I was sober driver and asked if there was another drinks menu, I was told no, so I asked what non alcoholic options there were. I was told “juice” apple or orange.
My partner asked what beers were available, there were 2 options, when he chose one of the options he was told that was actually unavailable. Wine was offered, but again no other options so he opted for water.
Service was super slow, it was busy, but even so, we were eating off a set menu.
We were pretty disappointed when we saw another table with cocktails, this option wasn’t presented to us.
The food was delicious, but very small in comparison to other degustation menus we’ve had. Unfortunately I had a reaction to my apple juice and even though we had been there for 2.5 hours we had to leave before the final course.
To their credit they removed the cost of the final course from our bill.
I see on the website quite an extensive drinks menu....wish we had this option.
Sorry guys, it was a bit of a miss.

BistroGentil, Owner at Bistro Gentil, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2018

Hi there Joanna M.
I'm so sorry that we didn't make your evening special. It was unfortunately one of those evenings where everything went wrong and by the time we realised our mistakes, it was too late. The waitress who served you had her first trial shift that night aswell, so she didn't know about all our mocktails. We would love to make it up to you in the future. Have a great day.

Reviewed March 27, 2018

Exquisite cuisine and excellent service, complimented by the excellent variety of wines.
Clean plates all round!

Reviewed March 22, 2018

We have dined at Bisto Gentil a few times now and we always have a lovely meal and the service is always top notch. All the food is presented beautifully and the menu has a good variety.

Reviewed March 22, 2018

We drive pass this restaurant on the way to our motel. My friend thought it looked nice from the outside and when we looked up the review for the restaurant, it confirmed our decision to come here. When I called the restaurant they had closed off kitchen already but the owner/chef was very kind to reopen it to accommodate for me and my friend. When we arrived, the staff was super friendly and didn’t feel annoyed about two late customers at all. Our experience was very pleasant and it definitely did not disappoint. The ambience was warm, welcoming and has a homely feel to it. We could taste the freshness of the food and it was cooked with care. Would highly recommend this place.

Reviewed February 22, 2018

Thank you team at Bistro my darling husband took me for our valentines dinner it was so special with the champagne and oyster then then venison finished with desserts and of course a Hendrix made to perfection! Love you guys xo

1  Thank tab069