“Comfortable but needs upgrading”

La Residencia Almar Hotel
Ranked #32 of 37 Hotels in Dumaguete City
Reviewed 22 July 2017

We stayed in this two-storey hotel while doing business in Dumaguete. Its comfortable and homey but it is showing its age and a thorough cleaning throughout the hotel might be a good idea. The bed is firm and clean. However the shower takes a while to get hot.

We were assigned the back room and have a very unattractive sight from the window: rusty roof and at the far left, clothes on the clothesline. The kitchen of the hotel cafe seems located below our window and can hear pots and pans clanging and men talking loudly. Thank goodness the cafe is not open 24 hours.

Room Tip: Choose the front rooms to have a quiet and pleasant view.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

We like the area & the theme of the hotel. Its quaint & intimate. The problem is it needs cleaning since dust accumulates inside the room.

The room we stayed has a complicated aircon. It was so hot & we were sweating. The room we were occupying is facing the bay.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2017

you can have breakfast at sunrise at this hotel facing the shore that is if you are able to wake up the staff to serve you a cup of coffee. the front desk is okay and they will help you with your luggage up the stairs. didnt see any elevator and luckily i just had an overnight bag. the room is small and cramped and my view from the window is some other house's backwall. there is this damp smell admixed with a hint of "was it sewage, i hope not). dont have an area to place my laptop and connect to an outlet at the same time. not good for business travelers. It's probably just a safe place to stay but i wouldnt hole up in my room because of the smell. it's just a place to store my things if my intention is to stroll along the boulevard and visit the Siliman university to attend a seminar there.

Room Tip: get a room fronting the boulevard otherwise you will get claustrophobia
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank anonymous_momdoc
Reviewed 30 December 2016

This is an old, small, 2-storey hotel right smack in the middle of Rizal Boulevard. I found it charming, I stayed here about 6 years ago and it hasn't changed much. Wooden plank floors, We got a family room with 2 beds. The sleeping area was sufficient for 2 adults and 2 kids. But the bed was not enough so we ordered and paid for an additional bed. Beware, they only give you a mattress on the floor, we found out that the lining of the banket was a white shower curtain. I know, it had holes where you attach it to the curtain rod.
A/c was good enough for a hot day. The room had a balcony that opens and you can sip coffee looking at the boulevard. Nice!

The bathroom was small. We were given the really tiny, thin bath soaps and shampoo was in a dispenser. We asked for toothbrush, but they have none. But hairdryer is available. Good thing 7-11 is just stone's throw away if you wish better toiletries.

The room did not come with breakfast so we went to their cafe, Don Atilano, for ours. There were 2-3 other families being served and there was only 1 waiter taking and serving orders. It took a long time for breakfast (just fried items) to be served. Turns out that only one cooks. One couple had to back out. I even had time to grab pictures at the nearby Silliman University, and breakfast hasn't even arrived!

Parking is scarce so if you're taking a car, it's first come, first served.
Location is excellent. Staff are friendly enough.

Room Tip: Choose rooms with views of th boulevard or even the one with balcony. Get room 201
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2016 via mobile

There's no room available at this time since they're celebrating at the moment the Sandurot Festival from November 18 to 27, and I just showed up to inquire of their availability. The room that was offered to me was the Ocean View for Php2,600.00. I stayed for one night. The linens were soft as well as the pillows, I had a good night sleep and they have friendly, cheerful and accommodating staff. The room is of contemporary design. The mattress, pillows and linens were soft. I feel really comfortable in this hotel. I had a good night sleep.

This hotel is across the Rizal Boulevard. If you go left, it's a 2-minute walk to the I ❤️DUMAGUETE spot for picture taking. It's a 3-minute walk going to Silliman University. A good 5 to 10-minute walk going to the Dumaguete Port that goes to Siquijor. And best of all, this hotel is conveniently sorrounded with restaurants that caters to different taste buds and budget.

My comments for this hotel:

1. Breakfast NOT included.

2. The only free in the toilet is the soap (a cheap soap that dries your skin, I only use this to wash my hand). You have to provide your shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste. I always carry my own toiletries but for the price they charge per night, I was expecting they have these usual stuff.

3. The aircon needs to be fixed. You have to turn on and off the remote a few times before cold air comes out from the aircon.

4. The bathroom looks old (but it was clean), it just has that nasty (but not disturbing) smell. The exhaust fan was noisy.

Anyways, my overall stay was very good.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank lakbay29
Reviewed 9 July 2016

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. I was attending a conference at Silliman, so I wanted something convenient. I had not booked a room when I arrived because none of the hotels seemed good enough based on reviews here. We checked out this hotel before checking Bethel but, since that was fully booked, we decided to stay here. They first offered us the family room (saying it was what was available), which I believe is the most expensive room and has a bay view. When I asked about a more quiet room, they then showed me a side room that still had a window (I think some of the middle rooms have no windows?) but, since that was smaller (and I'd been traveling for 3 weeks and I wanted breathing room), I picked the family room.

The room was spacious -- 2 double beds, but no desk. I didn't have a problem with the beds (could have used better linens) or the a/c (though it didn't work as well on our final night, and I couldn't sleep). It's definitely noisy with the traffic from the road. I normally have trouble sleeping when it's noisy, but I think I was too tired from my trip to care at this point. It was also balanced by the view and the opportunity to people watch. (As I didn't have time to go around, this was my only chance to really see the town doing its thing.)

The bathroom is awful. It looks awful & is in need of a renovation. Water stains everywhere -- in the shower, in the toilet bowl. It doesn't have a shower door or curtain (just a half wall), so the floor will get wet after you shower -- I hate wet floors. The water never got hot. When we asked for help late at night, there was only the guard and one other guy left & he said to give it 10 minutes. Coming from California, where we have a drought, I was appalled at that suggestion. Also, I don't exactly have 10 spare minutes when I have to get to a conference early. The water came out tepid at best. I asked them again the next day to check it out but still the same.

I can't say much about the cleanliness either. Walking on the wood floor, my feet were definitely collecting dust. I asked them to clean it the first morning, but I don't think they did a good job.

The internet sucked. Not at all helpful for business travelers.

I paid about $60-$70, which is definitely on the high end for hotels in the city proper, and it didn't even include breakfast.

This hotel has potential, if the owners would only do something about it. I doubt they will. If you're looking for a cheap hotel, there are lots of other options. If you're looking for luxury, this isn't it either.

Room Tip: Bay view rooms are noisy, but it's big.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank islddreamer
Reviewed 24 June 2016

I have traveled worldwide (27+ years) and must report this is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. If you ignore my warnings and stay in this hotel... my words will ring in your ears "WORST HOTEL EVER!". We changed rooms 3 times to settle on a room where a spring in the bed did not stickup through the mattress like a ram-rod. The room we finally settled on had mattresses so bad that after 2 nights my girlfriend and I both had sore backs because the bed bowed like a banana! The comfort room faucet was so loose that the entire fixture wobbled in your hand when you attempted to operate it. The water in the shower never got warm so you were forced to take cold showers and the electrical connections for the comfort room light fixture were exposed with no protection...TOTALLY RIDICULOUS hotel. I asked to speak to the manager and was told the hotel was owned by a family in another city and they could not be reached. The hotel receptionist tells you at check-in you must pay in advance... big red flag!) and so unfortunately I did... and soon realized why once we entered the first room! The pics of the rooms they post online are completely and totally misleading... the rooms are old, tired, worn out rooms! The cabinets are particle board and falling apart and the aircon runs half the night and shuts off and you have to reset it to get it to work again! The outside of the hotel is very nice and appears to be a quality hotel... but this is like a sea creature that disguises itself as a flower and soon devours its prey. The food in hotel restaurant is equally pathetic. When we ordered breakfast they served us orange drink... not orange juice as listed in the menu and the eggs were served barely warm and were cold before finishing the meal. DO NOT WALK... RUN FROM THIS HOTEL... UNLESS THERE ARE NO OTHER ROOMS FOR 100 MILES AND YOU MUST SLEEP IN YOUR CAR... THEN IT BARELY BEATS THAT!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family