“Authentic Jamaican Food, Authentic Jamaican Experience, Good Vibrations, And Helping The Children of the Philippines.”
Review of Jamrock Cafe

Jamrock Cafe
Description: JamRock cafe is family friendly , with a very high hygiene. Standard serving only meals. We don't served pork. Dishes. Or do we use MSG your health is our. Concern .
Reviewed June 24, 2018

I want to apologize first because I thought I had written this review back in November of 2017 but I must have let it slip from my mind. I even recall details I THOUGHT I wrote but apparently did not. So here it is. Sorry for that Orville.

I first visited this restaurant when it was at another location and had another name. It was True :Love Cafe then. I had the curried goat, a favorite of mine from long ago. It was delicious then though that place was much smaller but on the visit in 2017, when I was supposed to have written this review, the place was much bigger and surprisingly so was the portion of lamb

The new place Jamrock Cafe, from the moment I approached the restaurant I could hear the rhythmic sounds of authentic Jamaican music greeting my welcoming ears. We were greeted warmly by the owner, Orville, who personally seated us and remembered me from my first first visit a year or more before. There was a different waitress but with the same satisfying level of attentiveness and professionalism as. She provided water with fresh cut lemon without us even asking for it.
Vibrant Jamaican posters and photos adorn the walls, along with Jamaican memorabilia and is tastefully decorated. The brightly colored walls give the place a very cheery and festive atmosphere.

I ordered the curried goat which was very tender and tasty and WOW, so plentiful too. Not just bones and fat but a lot of tender lean goat meat. The most goat I've ever received at any Jamaican restaurant, in Jamaica or elsewhere. My fiancee ordered the curried chicken and was pleased with her meal. Orville is so friendly. You go for the food but you'll want to stay to hang with him. Very friendly and knowledgeable guy.

UPDATE: Since writing the above review which I mistakenly placed on the trip advisor listing of the old restaurant, True Love Cafe, my fiancee' and I returned for another visit just yesterday 6/24/18. The place is even nicer now. with more posters, the newly reinstalled gift shop section, and the sound system has been rearranged, but still with the very attractive dining tables and chairs with the very colorful knitted place mats and glass holders featuring the colors of the Jamaican flag.

This time I had the Escaveche fish dish and something I left out in the original review, the very, very delicious home made vegetable soup that is served pretty much as a free appetizer along with the most delicious freshly baked bread. The fish covered in an array of fresh seasoned and marinated vegetables, was EXCELLENT. It was accompanied by a healthy portion of what appeared to be a plate of organic rice and peas. Also very delicious and all for just 250pesos or a little less than $5 U.S..

My fiancee had the same thing she had the last time, the curried chicken with all the extras mentioned above for 195pesos or a about $3.80 U.S . You couldn't get a McDonalds Value meal for that price and this is infinitely healthier, much more food AND a heck of a lot better tasting. I guess she must have really liked it. Actually she told me she did.

We also invited Orville to sit with us as it was late and near closing and we engaged him in some really great conversation.

If I may request your attention for another couple of minutes, aside from providing excellent food, a very welcoming and authentic Jamaican atmosphere along with great Jamaican music, Orville is a humanitarian of the first order. When I first went to his other restaurant a couple of years ago and met him for the first time I learned that in his spare time he would go to the nearby mountains and donate food, school supplies, and facility construction to the mountain inhabitants who are mostly poor. He had invited me to join him then on a visit there but I was unable to go.

In November of last year a day after I had eaten there I joined him on a visit to a public elementary school in the flatlands ,near the base of the mountains. There he has financed and built an outdoor kitchen, 2 sets of male and female bathrooms, a general assembly area, paved the grounds so the children would not have to walk in the dirt and so much more. All with his own money.

Recently though, a Swedish customer learning of Orville's exceptional generosity, accompanied him to the school and seeing so many more things the kids needed he returned to Dumaguete City that same day and purchased a wide range of things and returned to the school to deliver them on the same day.

Orville is not rich but he has a heart of gold. He lives very humbly so that he may help others. We traveled to the school on a Jeepney. He does this every week. He also donates various types of food and school supplies for the children and teachers. He is truly a remarkable man. I provided story books and a small amount of supplies when I was there but the staff and the children were so incredibly appreciative. My fiancee and I will be joining him on the next two visits to the school, first to get an assessment of any needs they may have and then the following week to deliver whatever I can afford to bring.

I tell you all of this because when you eat at the Jamrock Cafe, you are not only helping yourself to a truly international culinary and cultural experience you are taking a trip to Jamaica without the air fare but you are also contributing to helping hundreds of Filipino children that this wonderful man, Orville, is feeding, supplying with essential educational supplies as well as facilities to help the children get a better educational experience. And all you have to do is sit down and have a great meal for a very reasonable price. You may do more if you wish but your dining experience is all that's really necessary.

He would never ask or not often even mention mention what he's doing but I will because it's worth telling.

Go for the food. Love the experience while Helping make the world a better place in the process of getting a good meal and a great experience.

Orville H, Manager at Jamrock Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2018

Thank you Sir. JamRock cafe is all about caring for others your health is your Wealth. Please come again .

Reviewed June 24, 2018 via mobile

Excellent tasting food and welcoming atmosphere. The proprietor was out amongst his guests with a hearty smile and soulful laugh exchanging pleasantries. He even accommodated a song request from his Reggae themed music portfolio. A bit of Jamaica in the Philippines!

Thank you. For sharing your experience at JamRock. Cafe. Service is our business. We go the extra mile for our customers .

Reviewed June 23, 2018 via mobile

This is a great restaurant to get Jamaican food in the Philippines. The waitress was very nice and the food was great. This is a new location from when I was there a few years back. Their Jamaican beef pies are great and they actually have festival's also. Kind of like cornbread. Only ever had them before in Jamaica itself.

Thank you please come again one love .

Reviewed June 3, 2018 via mobile

Jamrock cafe has fabulous authentic Jamaican cuisine and we love love loved our visit. Easy to find, centrally locates, themed decor and and comfortable space. We were served with a soup and cornbread on arrival. I had the jerk chicken which was delicious and they made a custom vegetarian dish for my friend. The owner sat with us and gave us a unique personalised experience with great conversation, a tour of the restaurant, history of the Philippines and his own story of the work he does with the children. You can buy souvenirs and it’s such a fun place to go. Thank you so much for a memorable evening in Dumaguete!

It was pleasure serving you. ..JamRock cafe is all bout healthy eating. The food we eat should be our medication at all time. Healthy living .

Reviewed April 14, 2018 via mobile

Great place with very good food and the owner is super friendly .
They play some good reggae music so you Feel really Calm and relaxad !

1  Thank kensson95

Thank you. Service our business. Your health is important to us it your wealth. Please don't stop eating healthy food. One love