“Amazing place to stay”

Dumaguete Studio Apartments
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

This place has much more than you can hope for. A pool, great on-site owner management, free motorbike use, amazing pool, security, great staff, extremely well maintained property, great location, conveniently located to a store for everyday needs and also a vegetable seller a few doors away as well. They are professional and have thought of everything. I can't wait to go back.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 June 2017

We stayed at Dumaguete studio apartments for 3 months.
We were very happy with our stay and not only because the rooms were
wonderful and very well maintained but also because the owners made us feel right at home.
Dave is a bit more strict but very fair, he doesn’t ask anything absurd but he likes order.
We had some very loud upstair neighbours and we told him, they directly took the matter
at hand and spoke to them (problem fixed). They are very flexible and they try to make you feel as welcome as humanly possible.
They explain where to go and how and they don’t think twice to help you in a good as way as possible.
We had a couple of weeks of the 3 months at the end where we had a lot of stress and they
actually helped us and talked with us about it. They were a beacon of light.
The apartments are of the western standards and have everything you need.
Also the staff working there who are Philippines were very friendly and helpful.
When my wife had a hard time they were also there to talk with her (and thats not a part of their job).
Also ‘ate’ Marisa was so amazingly wonderful, kind and sweet.
And lets not forget princess the ‘guard’ dog or rather the love dog.
All in all we had an amazing stay at their place and we will always be grateful for all the love we received.

We wish you all the best
Warm greetings from Spain,

Jenny and Josh

Room Tip: We stayed in the 5 wich was a lovely apartement
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Jenny a
Reviewed 19 May 2017

I arrived in Dumaguete on February 18, 2017 and am leaving here on May 22nd. I cannot say enough good things about my stay here. It was a perfect place to stay while figuring out all that the Dumaguete area has to offer. Here's a quick breakdown (forgive the grammar...just quick notes):

Facilities and Grounds: Great aircon and fans in the rooms. Immaculately manicured landscaping. Everything I needed was in the rooms, from pots and pans for cooking to extra linen for the bed, towels for swimming, etc. A water dispenser is in the room, and the apartment staff has extra bottles of water (5 or 10 liters...not sure exactly...enough to last me for more than a week) for only 45 pesos each. The swimming pool is kept in pristine condition, and I used it almost daily. It's especially nice to take an evening or night swim, or get your morning started with a quick dip in the pool. A full kitchen is located just outside the back door of each room with privacy walls built between each outdoor kitchen, also. Bottom line: you can show up at these apartments with just your clothes, and you will have everything you need. A quick trip to the market (go there and learn to navigate the market...it's an adventure in itself!) for some fresh fish, meat, and vegetables, and you are all set! Or you can drive one of Dave's motorcycles (provided, also!) into town and eat at a great restaurant. I personally loved the freedom to take one of the motorcycles and explore the area...more on this below.

Staff: Dave and Marissa are wonderful hosts, and all of their team members are great, also (even Princess...the 24/7 security guard dog). Upon check in, Dave gave me a rundown of the apartment and some great safety and security tips for when I am exploring the area. The ladies who worked in the kitchen area make a great breakfast for about 180 pesos, and they will also do your laundry for a small fee if you want them to (or you can take your laundry next door just outside of the apartment gate). There is also a sari sari store just past the laundry/water/bake shop...just keep walking in that direction...nice people work there. The apartment grounds crew were on top of everything and quickly fixed a couple of maintenance issues while I was there (same day service). They keep the grounds in an immaculate condition...the landscaping is very beautiful here. They also are very meticulous in the maintenance of the motorcycle fleet so that us visitors will be able to safely travel around Dumaguete on reliable transportation. More on Princess: she gave me a good barking at first to establish her authority, and then expected a good scratching and belly rub every time I saw her after that...a well-deserved payment for her excellent security services.

Transportation: okay, again on the motorcycles, use them! The grounds crew will give you a quick motorcycle driving lesson if you need some, and then go explore. You will enjoy much more freedom here if you use the motorcycles that Dave provides instead of trying to go everywhere on the local trikes. The motorcycles provide an incredible sense of adventure and freedom while you are here, so please use them and enjoy.

Security: Dave and Marissa take security very seriously and ensure the safety of their guests. He keeps the place locked down at night and shows the guests how to get in and out of the compound for when they are out past 9pm. The Philippines is a great country with very friendly people, but don't let your guard down. Take your security and safety seriously while you are here. Enjoy it all, but use good judgement, and keep up on the news also. Don't be the one foreigner who loses control of his bearings and ends up in a bad situation.

Internet/Comm: I never had any problems with the internet here, and I was using YouTube continuously for both business and information purposes. I also streamed a few movies on Amazon and had no problems. The internet goes down in the entire area on occasion, so just be patient and it will come back up. Dave has his own server room, so if the problem continues, just inform Dave and Marissa so they can check if a reset in the server room might be needed (happened once to me in my stay, and the problem was quickly fixed). Phones: since I was going to be in the Philippines a few months, I decided to purchase a relatively inexpensive cell phone and a sim card. This proved to be invaluable to me. You will need it if you will be communicating with any locals, and almost all foreigners in the area have one. Most people here communicate by texting. If you need to reload your cell phone, just walk to the sari sari store I mentioned above and ask for a reload. It's a simple process.

Restaurants I liked in the area: Racer Cafe. Moon Cafe. Hayahay. Taco Surf (great sushi). Senoritas Mexican Grill (closest to Tex Mex I could find). Pacos Tacos (in Valencia). Gie Gie's (expat hang out...great sub sandwiches and breakfast menu). Lord Byron's Back Ribs (look for Hermogina Apartments sign just past Robinson's Mall). Octagon Sports Bar. Casablanca (excellent menu...start with one of their cream soups!). Dauin Dive Cafe (after a morning of snorkeling).

Other things I enjoyed in the area: Pulangbato Falls. Pura Vida Resort (just did a day trip there). The Boulevard.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

Professionaly managed apartment complex, clean, well equipped.
The owners offer furnished apartments in a gated complex. There is a swimming pool, a common area, and tenants have access to well maintained motorcycles that let you ecplore the island on your own. There is a laundry and a small corner store outside which is convenient for those days you did not get around to go shopping. You can also get refills for your drinking water dispenser on site, as well as cold beer.
Thanks to Dave and Marissa who made our stay such a great experience.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2017

I spent 2 months here mid Nov to mid Dec in 2016 with my fiancé. We had the best time ever, Accommodations were great (very clean, quiet, and efficient with outside kitchen), management, hospitality, and service was great and very friendly, pool was great, motorbike was great (clean and well maintained, like new), very secure location, close to Dumaguete (10 min) close to Valencia 10 (min) Well stocked and friendly said sari right outside the gate, Can't wait to take make it back there.

Room Tip: Captain Dave and his wife Marisa are the best.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gsilva46
Reviewed 11 March 2017

I was staying there 3 months and really enjoyed that time. The apartments contain all facilities necessary to live like a fridge or a microwave oven, the bed is large and comfortable. I also appreciated huge swimming pool. A motorbike is provided inclusively what is super-useful because it is the most comfortable way of traveling in Dumaguete. Don't be afraid if you're a novice in riding because you can take driving lessons in very affordable price. The staff is very friendly, actually, I felt like in a familly. The last but not least, the internet is quite good what is not obvious in Philipines.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 February 2017

The pool is great as is the staff. If you are relaxed they will treat you like family. The place is a long way from Dumaguete and because trikes are difficult to get back from town, I think to make the most of your stay here you need to be able to ride a motorbike which are provided and are all well maintained and low milage. I spent 2 months and it was great but can ride - if I couldn't the location would be debilitating. I would certainly stay here again for another 2 month stay. Thanks to Dave and Marissa for being great hosts.

Room Tip: I was upstairs which I think was cooler than the downstairs as it would get the breeze
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
David W, Owner at Dumaguete Studio Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2017

I don't understand why Paul knocked our rating down due to the distance from town. It does take 5 to 10 minutes to come and go using I free motorbike, but he knew that a long time before he decided to stay here. Distance and travel time is clearly posted on our web page so why give us a poor rating on distance from town. Most of our guess love it here because we are 5 minutes from town and not in the crowded area. On well, I guess I will never understand lots of folks. Anyway, Paul did say he would gladly stay here again. His comments should be taken as 5 stars!

David