All reviews foie gras snails faded elegance the fixed price menu four courses small village euros per head tennis courts swimming pool an excellent restaurant two night stay fresh fruit visiting carcassonne lobster salad suckling pig chateau wine
Reviewed June 5, 2017

We really enjoyed our stay here this is the second time we have been and we will come again. Hotel staff friendly and professional. Breakfast excellent evening meal delicious four courses for 45 euros with wine . Close to lake and carconsonne old and new. Swimming pool and the room we stayed in rose Pom Pom

Room Tip: Looked at the description on the website
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank rczerwinski
Reviewed May 31, 2017 via mobile

This is the second time we have stayed at the Chateau de Cavanac. It's not often the case that repeat visits live up to a first memory but the Chateau gets better every time! It's location is also perfect for visiting the delightful medieval town of Carcasonne.

We stayed for one night on a longer trip across Europe. The grounds are beautiful and, after a long drive, it's lovely to relax in the sauna all to yourself.

The rooms are fabulous. Large, tastefully decorated and each with its own individual style and features.

But the stand out reason for staying here is the food. For less than €100 per couple you can feast on five courses of hearty, delicious, local fayre. We have tried the foi gras, lobster, scallops, snails, crayfish, suckling pig to name a few and it is some of the best food I have ever eaten.

I cannot recommend the Chateau de Cavanac highly enough and I know we will be back for a visit again soon.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2017

A fabulous old building set in peaceful surroundings and within easy reach of the old city of Carcassonne....However dreadful smell of drains/sewage (?) in bedroom which really spoiled it for me, such a shame, as I'm sure this problem could be sorted out by owners ! No coffee making facilities in rooms either, and because I didn't sleep that well (due to blankets on bed and thought that perhaps hadn't been washed each time bed linen changed) I really needed a coffee in night or early morning at least. Hotel receptionist Karine/Carine? was extremely pleasant and helpful also Damien the waiter in restaurant in the evenings. Meals extremely 'meaty' and unusual fish meals too, so not to my personal taste, but all beautifully cooked and served. However, once I mentioned the fact, they were helpful and cooked me a cheese omelette. The breakfast was adequate, but a miserable lady 'in charge' who reluctantly re-filled coffee pot for me then tipped old cold coffee into fresh pot ! They also ran out of croissants and it was Easter Saturday so should really have had sufficient for extra guests. Only small points, but would have made an almost perfect hotel even better!

Room Tip: Sniff them out first ! (see drain comment above!)
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank westburygirl
Reviewed November 7, 2016 via mobile

The last night of our tour through Spain & Portugal before returning home to Provence and it was really nice to be in this gorgeous chateau- We new we were back in France. Recommended to us by two other couples who have stayed in the past our room Anemone was warm and comfortable with a superb walk in shower. We had pre dinner drinks in front of the open fire, a very good dinner ( as described by other reviews)and slept extremely well. Service in hotel and restaurant friendly and efficient. This is ideal for a quiet getaway or for friends or family gatherings. All in all good value too.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2016

This hotel is very unusual. It is also a vineyard so as well as a good dinner each table has red, white and rose wines provided by the hotel. Huge choice of menu, locally sourced.

Your room will give the sense of staying in a real chateau.

Good secure parking provided.

We have gone with several other couples, all have rated it as a real experience.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family