All reviews superior room lovely hotel tea and coffee making facilities slippers and bathrobes annex building relaxing holiday recommend this hotel inclusive menu reception desk staff were always friendly quiet road pool area night holiday pool towels short walk chicken nuggets inclusive bar
Reviewed June 3, 2016

This was my first holiday with the boyfriend, it was a late, cheap booking for a week in the sun. From previous reviews we were unsure what to expect but were pleasantly surprised.

The hotel was lovely and clean, the pool area was perfect for a chill and not too noisy for Malia. We stayed on the All Inclusive package, food was pretty standard (pasta, selection of meat dishes, fresh salad), they have a live cooking station that a chef man's which produces speciality food of the evening (kebab's, pork, chicken). You would have to be a 'picky' eater to not be able to find anything to eat. We were surprised with the drinks available on the package, we assumed it would just be wine/beer/Ouzo, but you actually get a selection of cocktails as well as the usual spirits. The bar is open 12 hours a day and is just next to the pool.

The hotel is in a good spot being 10 minutes away from the main strip, meaning you don't hear all the madness of the strip but can still get there easily. The beach was also not far and good to visit. To get out from Malia we hired a quad bike and went up into the mountains so that we could feel like we saw more of Crete.

Overall we had a great holiday and wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank 451heatheru
MgrRuby, Διευθυντής at Solimar Ruby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2016

Dear Heather U,

Thank you for your possitive review on Trip Advisor. Your nice words motivates us to perform even better the next time you will visit us, and we are very much looking forward to this..

Thank you!!

Reviewed May 23, 2016 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel. The pool is nice as is the restaurant and the food. The staff are warm and friendly. They cannot do enough for you. The barman Maniols is sooo funny and entertaining. We made good friends with Belgians and Danes. Great holiday!

Only bad thing is there was no Diet Coke.

Thanks Solimar from the Scottish girls...Jill and Claire

Trip type: Travelled with friends
MgrRuby, Διευθυντής at Solimar Ruby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2016

Dear Jill and Claire,

On behalf of the management and staff I would like to thank you for posting your review.
We really appreciate your warm comments and we are looking forward to welcome you again in our Solimar Ruby Hotel.

with best Regards

Reviewed May 21, 2016

We had a very nice week at Solimar Ruby this month.
When we arrived in the night, it's correct, that we were hungry and thursty, and it could have been very nice, if there had been at least a bottle of water in the room.
I also missed my morning coffee, the coffee had no taste at all, so we bought some instant coffee to put into the tea-weater.
Never the less, I recommend the hotel, because there is such a good athmosphere. The cleaningstaff, waitres, bartenders and receptionists are very kindly and I suppose, they will make better coffee and maybe find som water for the guests, arriving at night.
The rooms are nice, it's clean and the pool is best in town, I think.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
MgrRuby, Διευθυντής at Solimar Ruby Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2016

Dear Ms. Gitte Nielsen ,

Thank you for your kind review!
It’s always nice and rewarding to hear positive comments from our guests!

Regarding the coffee kindly note that we have already taken your comment into consideration ,right after your first notice at the hotel, As a result I am happy to inform you that we have changed the type of coffee we used and now the coffee is real nice and tasteful .

We are more than pleased that you enjoyed spending your vacation here at Solimar Ruby Hotel and we will be more than glad to welcome you back.

Once again thank you for your review!

Reviewed May 15, 2016

Everything about our 11 night holiday at the Solimar Ruby was just FANTASTIC!! The staff were so welcoming and lovely we went on the opening night and were treated like royalty, the service stayed the same throughout. We were All Inclusive, the food every day was just wonderful and so tasty, the drinks were very good and went down with ease :). It was close to bus stops and the strip, we are not ones for going clubbing and as the season was early there weren't many going out and not many bars/clubs open which suited us fine, this is a very welcoming, quite hotel but with bundles of character, we will definitely be booking in here again, if I could give more than 5* I would.

Room tip: Rooms in the Royal part of the hotel are bigger and more private.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Indy R
Reviewed October 9, 2015

Have just returned from a week's AI holiday at the Solimar Ruby. I really don't understand the reviews from the Brits on here. We were a party of six and trust me, we are very English and can be very loud! We were made to feel extremely welcome by all the staff, especially Anna and the rest of the bar staff. Drinks were on tap throughout the day and towards the end of the week, we didn't even need to recite our order.

I agree with the reviews that this isn't a "party" hotel. You need to look elsewhere if that's what you are after. The Solimar Ruby is a very respectable hotel who look after all their guests. We arrived home late one night and were asked to be quite. I understand this. If I was a guest asleep at the time, I would not welcome being woken up by another loud group. I believe the hotel have the right balance in making sure everyone is looked after.

The food was great. The variety was good and unless you are a real fussy eater, then you are well catered for.

We had no problem with the other European guests. We made friends with lots of them; chatting in the bar after dinner and finding those that spoke good English to interpret for us.

The pool area was very queit and relaxing in the day. On a few occasions, we livened the place up a bit by playing pool games and despite others' opinions of the European guests, they all seemed to enjoy our antics with many of them participating. I would recommend the Solimar Ruby to anyone looking for a relaxing holiday, regardless of nationality. The staff were great and could not be faulted at all. We never experienced any issues like those described by other reviewers on here. A holiday is what you make it at the end of the day and if you are prepared to go out of your way to make friends, you will. We certainly did.

Rooms were cleaned every day along with the whole of the hotel. You could not fault the cleanliness nor the staff's commitment to keeping the place tidy.

I would also recommend taking the boat trip from Malia Port to visit Sisi. When we booked, we were told "it was not a booze cruise". When we arrived at the boat, almost every single person had brought their own beer on board and not one of the staff seemed to mind. A simple lunch with wine was included and a great day was had by all.

I would recommend this hotel and would definitely return.

Room tip: Request a pool view room if you can
Date of stay: October 2015