“Best Place to Stay in Castellina Area”

Romitorio di Serelle
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I stayed at Romitoro last year when I visited Italy. When I returned this year, I was going to be traveling alone and wanted to be a little closer to Castellina so I wouldn't have to drive the windy roads late at night by myself. I booked 6 nights at a place that was highly recommended here on Trip Advisor. But upon arriving, I found I was very disappointed. It was nothing near as special as Romitorio -- and I was really bummed that I would have to be there for 6 nights. The apartment was small and dark, there weren't very many places outdoors to relax, no one was on site and it felt deserted during the day, and it was down this long, dark, creepy dirt road. So, on the 2nd day, I contacted Romitorio to see if they had something available and YES - they did. I was willing to lose about $500 in a non-refundable payment to transfer over to Romitorio. While I was in the area, I drove around and checked out several properties recommended here and none of them were as nice as Romitorio. For one thing, many of them sat in a valley or in part of a forest area with views that weren't that special. Also, some of them were really small properties -- so it seemed like it would feel like you were staying at someone's house vs. an estate. Romitoro has several buidings and one of the things I like most about it is that it sits sort of on a plateau with sweeping vineyard views on 3 sides. You can see far across the valley to distant hilltop towns, other villas, etc. Also, Romitorio has MANY outdoor areas where you can sit, read a book, drink a glass of wine, or nap under the Tuscan sun. Finally, they have a restaurant on site that is for guests only --which is really nice. After a day out you don't always feel like getting dressed to go back out for dinner, so it's nice to just mozy over to the restaurant and have a casual dinner -- and the meals there are always good. The apartment I had this time was wonderful with this cute little balcony patio that was very private - I sat out there every moring in my PJs and had my coffee -- looking at the beautiful views.

I have learned my lesson -- when in the Castellina area I will NEVER book anywhere except at Romitorio.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank BagsPacked58
There are newer reviews for Romitorio di Serelle

Reviewed 16 October 2010

My wife and I just returned from a week at this spectacular farmhouse in one of the prettiest areas of Tuscany, I cannot say enough good things about the views that surround this place. Walking around the property the views are spectacular in every direction, and with the colors just beginning to change into the reds and yellows we are accustomed to in New England, it was a great setting.

Marco and Roberto were gracious hosts and were willing to go above and beyond our expectations, giving us special dining options. Food was a great value at $ 26 euro per night for a 4 course very delicious meal.

We had the opportunity to visit Volterra, Siena, San Gimignano, Florence and Castellina (loved all 5 places) and did the Castello di Verrazano wine tour/lunch, which we both loved and would recommend to anyone.

Weather was not great for our week with only 2 sunny days and temps never reaching 70, but we left very happy knowing that someday we will return again and will whole heartedly recommend this place to everyone.

the only reason our rating was not 5 stars for everything was the overly hard mattresses which left us uncomforable. We have plush pillow top mattress at home which could have affected our opinion as well.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2010

We have just returned from a wonderful week spent at Romitorio Di Serelle. The location is just perfect with the most fantastic views of the Tuscan countryside from all directions. It is the ideal base for sightseeing, being so central in the Chianti region and less than an hour from Florence and Sienna.

Our apartment "La Torre" was beautiful, very rustic, full of charm, clean and spacious. Marco, Roberto and Co were all very friendly and helpful, providing the answers to all our questions.

We ate in the restaurant and found the food to be authentic and delicious, it is 4 courses and very filling but they change the menu every day and it was some of the best food we have had in Italy.

We had a fantastic week and each evening we looked forward to returning to the perfect spot to relax and unwind and after a busy day of sightseeing.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2010

Just how beautiful, serene, and romantic this place is. As soon as we arrived, and checked out our room (La Tinaia), my wife and I both remarked that no matter what words we say, or how many pictures we show, we will never be able to convey the feeling of looking out over the vineyards, olive groves and forests of the Chianti area, the town of San Donato off in the distance, the peace and solitude. Another reviewer has already described RdS as Heaven on Earth. Indeed.
Opening the bedroom window in the morning (see picture) actually took my breath away.

The restaurant is excellent. Great four course meals (fixed menu). Each night was a different and new surprise. At 26 E a plate, plus another 20 - 30 for wine (some of it grown "in that vineyard, right over there" you are dining al fresco, overlooking sunbathed vineyards as the sun sets. Beat that!

Marco, Lorella, Roberto and various other family members (and 2 cats) were all gracious hosts. Never intrusive, but by the end of the week, you almost feel like family. No wonder several of the other couples there were repeat visitors ( one couple on their sixth visit!).
As well during the week, you get to meet interesting people from all over the world, partake in a wine tasting event, and best of all, relax and unwind under the Tuscan sun.

We will be back,

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2010

What an incredible Tuscan experience! We loved staying at the farmhouse...exquisite views all around, beautiful landscaping, gracious hosts, incredible food... Marco and Lorella are welcoming and accommodating. Roberto served us the most amazing meals, always with smiles and kindness. And the friendly groundskeeper and cook are of course greatly appreciated as well. The Romitorio di Serelle is conveniently located in the heart of Chianti, making daily excursions to various towns in Tuscany very convenient. We loved Castellina -- the closest Tuscan Hill town. Traveling to Sienna, San Gimignano, Radda, and Florence are easy day trips. Great pool for the kids after a day of exploring. Highly Recommend!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2010

The setting,overlooking vineyards, is spectacular. The apartments were neat, clean and spacious. The management could not have been friendlier or more helpful. Our evening meals were amongst the finest we experienced in all of Italy. Easy travel by car to other areas in Tuscany. The swimming pool was most relaxing.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2010

What a beautiful spot to unwind. We had Rosemarino apartment, 2 bedroom,2 bathroom complete with patio table and chairs. The only downside were the beds being extremely hard compared to what we are used to. The food was great as was the service. The pool was clean with lots of loungers.
The road is windy (but paved) and once into town, you have access to the freeway and all the neighboring sites close by. Going the other way on the windy road takes you to towns such as Castellini and Greve.
Look forward to booking our next stay there.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barberino Val d'Elsa
16.4 km away
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
11.7 km away
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica & Spa
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica ...
#2 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
8.3 km away
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort & Spa
Hotel Villa Campomaggio Resort &...
#1 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
6.2 km away
Villa San Filippo Resort
Villa San Filippo Resort
#6 of 12 in Barberino Val d'Elsa

Been to Romitorio di Serelle? Share your experiences!