“Amazing!”

Borgo Argenina
Syracuse, New York, United States
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

My trip to Borgo Argenina was simply amazing! Myself and several family members (13 to be exact!) spent some time at Elena's over the US Thanksgiving holiday. The setting, the villa, the food, hospitality and attention to detail are second to none. The villa is so warm and welcoming and Elena a wonderful hostess. I was sad to see our time at the villa end. Our cooking lesson was fabulous and the food quite delicious. I cannot say enough about my experience except that I will definitely return.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Sue M

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Our 4 night stay at Borgo Argenina was the highlight of our trip to Tuscany. The rural setting was beautiful, with long distance views. Elena's compound is attractive and perfectly maintained, with flowers all around. Our room was spacious and attractive. Breakfasts were tasty and inviting. We enjoyed a fabulous dinner and wine with other guests the night we arrived, prepared by Elena and served around her large kitchen table. We appreciated Elena's suggestions for restaurants in the area for other dinner meals.

The location was perfect for exploring the hill towns in the Chianti region. We brought our Garmin Nuvi GPS (we called her "Bella Nuvi") with an SD card of maps of Italy and Greece for our rental car and it was invaluable. Even though we had an excellent road map, we would have gotten lost time and time again without Bella. She got confused only twice and if we missed a turn, she would recalculate and give us an alternate route. Two guests at Elena's told us they got rental cars with the GPSs included and neither of the GPSs worked, so we were glad we brought our own.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Kirkland, WA
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I would love to say we had a marvelous time at Borgo Argenina, but sadly, that was not the case. I have never written a review with such horrible news. First of all I have to say that Borgo Argenina is a very nice place as far as the buildings and accommodations go. Our problems were with the owner/innkeeper. There were so many issues that caused frustration (to put it mildly), that I decided to list them so you would not think I just didn’t like the owner and decided to write a bad review. So here goes…

1. Upon arrival in Rome from US, I discovered I had lost my ATM card and had no way to get any cash. I did not have a pin number for my credit card to get a cash advance so that was not an option either. Knowing we had 3 weeks in Italy, finding resolve for this was our first priority upon arrival to Borgo Argenina (BA). To begin with, we were a bit confused trying to follow Elena's directions to her place, and finally decided to call her. When she answered the phone the first thing she said with what sounded like anger was "Where are you? I have been waiting all day!" She seemed shocked we could not easily drive there following her map. She would not stop talking and truly seemed angry with us for getting lost. She kept repeating that her map is perfect, that we could not be lost. I actually had to assertively ask her to stop talking so I could tell her where we were and to ask again how to get to BA from there.
2. First thing the next day she came to our room and told us she was angry that we did not sit down with her for her "Formal introduction talk" immediately upon our arrival for sight seeing and dining in the area, but instead talked to other guests for their ideas. She said we should ask her, not others, as this is her country. It was as though we "broke her rules". I am serious, she used the word "angry". I also heard her tell this same thing to other guests.
3. After breakfast we wanted to use her phone to make a collect call to our bank to request a new ATM card. I looked for Elena to get her permission, but was told she had left to go shopping. Since she knew about our problem concerning the ATM and the call was collect, I went ahead and used her office phone for the collect call. She came back while I was on the phone. As soon as I got off the phone, she ANGRILY confronted me saying I had no right to use her phone!!! She was raising her voice with me and I had to try interrupting her several times before she heard me say "I called collect".
4. My husband ask her if she would please call her bank and ask if they would accept a money wire from his brother in the US to hold us over until we could get a new ATM card. She refused to even make a call to her bank to ask.
5. A couple of times a week she cooks dinner for guests and they also help her cook if so desired. We had reservations to do this, but she refused to let us have dinner there because she only accepted cash for the dinner even though she knew we had the ATM issue. Alena accepts credit cards for the rooms, and she knew we were attempting to get a credit card cash advance from a bank in Florence 2 days later.
6. When we made our reservation, Alena let us know that we would have to change rooms 2 times while there and we agreed to this. In the email she wrote:
“Anyway don't worry we'll think about moving the luggage and you will enjoy your vacation just coming back in a different accommodation.” But she flatly refused to move our luggage at all. She told us she could not possibly do that by herself. When I suggested she have her staff help her, she said, “That is not possible” and left the room.
7. She approached us on our 3rd day there and said she “made a mistake” and she owed us for one night since she noticed that our reservation was only for 4 nights, not 5. I told her it was for 5 and we would be leaving Saturday. She said, "That is not possible. I have already rented the room to other people". We had to show her our confirmation email she sent us for 5 nights and then she backed off. Thank goodness I traveled with my computer!

Overall, Borgo Argenina was a horrible experience. You may find it hard to believe that all this happened, but it did. Luckily, touring Tuscany was still as nice as ever!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank captainzap71
Elenabedandbreakfast, Owner at Borgo Argenina, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Dear Sandy,
I'm very sad you were not happy here and you had so many problems with your bank and credit card. Sorry if I couldn't give you cash money in exchange to your credit card.
You didn’t realize I would be charged the tax on that amount....

Also if you remember it wasn't not easy for me to follow you in your reservation.
You changed your mind many times and I got confused.
I tried to calm you and make all my best to show the beauty of here. But you didn’t want to see.
I hope you will find peace with your husband and quietness in your heart.
Elena Nappa
Noida, India
Reviewed 3 November 2011

We stayed for four nights at B.Argenina and enjoyed it thoroughly. It is located in such a beautiful place, you could happily spend several hours just sitting out on the patio looking out over the vineyards. Elena has renovated the buildings ith a perfect eye for detail, and even the breakfast is well laid out with nice touches and no skimping. The fruit was heavenly and oven-fresh cake as well! The two ladies who help Elena run the show do a great job :) Not to forget the doggies who were my daughter's best friends for a few days.

For those who venture into Siena, try to find the right parking, else you end up walking far too much to get to the centre. The city centre is largely Traffic-free. When you go into Siena from the b&b you are on the SP408 road, you reach the northeastern bit of the city, and the nearest gate is the Porta Ovile. You enter the walled area through Porta Ovile and take a right, follow signs for the covered parking area, it costs less than two euros per hour and is well worth it.

A city map showing all the gates and parking areas (there are several) is useful if you are approaching Siena from another direction. You can get this from the i at Il Campo. We went into five of these i offices while driving around Tuscany and all of them (except one in Gaiole) had very friendly helpful staff so you know where to go if you need maps or if you get lost!

• Stayed October 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 November 2011

My husband and I and two of our adult children spent two days in Elena's beautiful paradise in Chianti. We all loved the accommodation, comfy beds, private roomy bathrooms and of course the lovely decor of this amazing hamlet. Elena went out of her way to assist us with dinner bookings and had great suggestions for day trips. She welcomed us with Chianti wine and gave my daughters her cookbook which was so inspirational.
The only slight frustration we had during our visit to Tuscany was that we were constantly getting lost whilst driving around. However, the scenery is so beautiful that we didn't mind too much.I can't wait to come back for a second visit. Thanks Elena!
Ann/David/Natalie/Tanya

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 November 2011

My husband and I just returned from a three night stay at this beautiful hamlet. This truly is an amazing experience that you do not want to miss. You are in the heart of "Classico Tuscany". I felt as though I was in the middle of a painters canvas. The scenary is breathtaking. They trees and grapevines and the rolling hills were all turning the beautiful fall colors that you see in all the pictures of Tuscany. Elena is the perfect hostess, from the minute you arrive, she invites you in her home to share a glass of Chianti and review her wonderful hand drawn map of the area. There are so many wonderful towns to visit, castles and wineries beyond your imagination. I would recommend to bring your GPS because it does help, along with Elena's Map. You will still get lost, but that is part of the adventure. The driving is very curvey and you have to watch the signs. Quite frankly, after two days of driving, my husband and I decided to have a nice lunch and come back to the Inn to enjoy the beauty of the daytime, instead of arriving at dusk each night. We just sat on the balcony and soaked up the sun and scenary. Night time driving is a bit tricky. On our frist night we arrived late in the afternoon and Elena sent us to a restaurant that was about 15 minutes away. No matter the distance, driving at night is not fun. The second night we decided to pick up some bread, cheese, wine, grapes and have a candlelight dinner in our beautiful villa. We stayed int he Piccola Villa and it was charming. It brouhgt you immediately back to the true Tuscany lift style.

Dont miss cooking with Elena. She will share her stories and wonderful recipes with you. We helped make lasagna, and Tiramisu. My husband was in charge of keeping the fire going in her big fireplace in the kitchen so we could grill the meat on the fire like they did way back when. Elena makes the experience of having dinner like you stepped back decades in time. There were 10 of us that sat around her big table for her delicious dinner that was Lasagna as a prima and the wonderful sausage and meat from the ragu as a main along with the grilled pork ribs (that got cooked on the fire my husband kept going) and a big salad. Of course her wonder Chianti. Finishing with our Tiramisu and her surprise of her homemade Limoncello. We felt like we were on big family by the end of the night. This will be the best meal you have during all your travels in Italy.

I would choose to do this at the end of your travels to wind down from your vacation before returning back home. Because once you park the car, you will not want to leave this beautiful home away from home.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 23 October 2011

We spent 6 nights here at this beautiful B and B. Elena Nappa graciously invites you into her home, serves you chianti, gives you a map with her advice for your trip, introduces you to the lovely four legged girls, Guseippina and Pasqualina and the vacation begins...ahhh.
Such a peaceful setting. Perfect for relaxing or exploring the region. Elena has definitely put love into this place, making it obvious Borgo Argenina is her passion. We signed up for the cooking class and it was a highlight of the trip. The class was casual and fun, but mostly delicious. I would most definitely recommend a stay here if you are in the region.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gaiole in Chianti
8.8 km away
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive Tuscan Resort & Spa
Castello di Spaltenna Exclusive ...
#1 of 8 in Gaiole in Chianti
11.7 km away
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica & Spa
Palazzo Leopoldo Dimora Storica ...
#2 of 15 in Radda in Chianti
16.9 km away
Locanda Le Piazze
Locanda Le Piazze
#1 of 10 in Castellina In Chianti

Been to Borgo Argenina? Share your experiences!