Kviknes Hotel
US$190
Sognefjord Hotel(Leikanger)
US$157
US$187
Quality Hotel Sogndal(Sogndal Municipality)
US$233
US$196
Quality Hotels
Best Western Laegreid Hotell(Sogndal Municipality)
US$234
US$185
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshistoric hoteldining roomold buildingbreakfast and dinnernew wingcoach partiespublic roomsseafoodnewer partkaiser wilhelm iiold worldnewmarket holidayslarge balconybuffet stylefjord viewmain roomtour group
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I was pretty disappointed with my stay at Kviknes. For the price of the room and the history of the hotel, I expected much more from my stay. I was in the modern wing, which looked very much like a bad motel in the US. The room was spacious but the decor was outdated and unpleasant, with a 19 inch TV from the 80s. The bed was not more comfortable than budget hotels. The front desk staff was not friendly and made a snide remark about my room rate when I asked if it was possible to get a fjord view.

One the plus side, the hotel lobby and dining area are beautiful, with classic furniture and great views. The breakfast was vast and delicious, and I always feel sad to leave the dining hall. I found the waitstaff to be extremely friendly and responsive. I did not have the smorgasbord but there are much better options in town considering its exorbitant cost (650 nok).

Balestrand was a wonderful town and very convenient to exploring the fjords. I would recommend planning early and considering other options before Kviknes.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John S
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Beautiful hotel, somewhat spoiled visually by the giant concrete addendum built in the 1970's. Luckily I stayed in the old part. The room was fine and dandy but what blew me away was the huge balcony with a magnificent view of the Sognefjord.

Business facilities were adequate. Service was for the most part impeccable. Almost all staff seem to be foreigners; felt a bit strange conversing in English being a Norwegian in Norway.

If I were to write a novel and were rich, I'd book a room at this establishment.

Balestrand is a gem, albeit a very quiet one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old part.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed August 30, 2011

balestrand is a beautiful tranquil place and this hotel is a lovely old building set in a beautiful surrounding.

it is rare to have such a beautiful view, I could gaze for hours and the downstairs rooms of which there are several are comfortable places to just sit and stare. Norway is a country of water and mountains and balestrand is a place to just walk, if you are lucky enough to get nice weather there is a pretty bathing area off the hotel, also good to just sit and read a book., or watch for porpoises.

the hotel is a mix of the old historic part and the new rather ugly block, we had 2 rooms in the historic part and both were pretty good. Our sons had a room with balcony and ours had a nice little sitting area. very clean and both bath and shower were very good, only soap and shampoo offered but that is not a great problem as most people bring ther own.

bedrooms a little tired but the downstairs rooms are in very good condittion and all is sparkling clean., pretty floral arrangements and lots of interesting things around.

Beds are very comfortable.

we had the buffet dinner and it was a wonderful spread, cold meats, bread, fish of all sorts, hot foods, soups and many desserts, you could eat your fill.

breakfast was also very good and the staff were friendly and helpful

Tea and coffee were laid out in another room again with a wonderfulkl view and you could drink as much as you wanted after dinner.

a very enjoyable stay in a lovely country and lovely hotel.

Norway is very expensive so it is worth bringing a kettle and coffee for the odd drink in your room and also some alcohol or it will be very good for your liver.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Kvikne's Hotel came up to all my expectations of wonderful Norwegian hospitality. My room, in the new building, overlooked the fjord and was clean and comfortable. The buffet breakfast and dinner was superb. The original hotel is a beautiful time capsule with paintings and artefacts from a bygone era. Though solo, I travelled with a group, and we were all made most welcome. Thank you Kvikne family for a most memorable holiday in Norway! I hope to return one day and meet up again with Bjorg and Arthur, two lovely artists, at their Golden House, a treasure trove of their paintings. Don't miss their talks and film in their mini-cinema!

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 359 in the new building overlooking the fjord and watched the sun rise over the mountains!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank jean m
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We love this historic hotel overlooking the famous Sognefjord, the peace you feel in the hotel and in the nice village of Balestrand. This was the 4th.year my wife and I spend a weekend in this beautiful hotel. We always ask for a room in he old part of the hotel with a view over the Sognefjord. The rooms in the old part is very "British", not ultra modern but very charming - and what a view.
Atmosphere in the hotel, the food and good service make your stay enjoyable and when you check out, you look forward to your next check in this awesome historic hotel.

We will check in again in September with my Canadian cousin and wife.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family