“Disappointing......” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Denham
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Disappointing......”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed for two nights March 27th,28th. This is our third stay, as we like Denham and the surrounding area, but will definitely be our last. Our room (69) was really tatty and dirty round the top of the toilet seat, old fashioned fourteen inch telly, we stayed in room 64 a few months back and that was ok. The most disappointing thing for me was the pool, it always seemed to be occupied by childrens swimming classes at the times i was able to swim. Very noisy too with people returning to rooms late ...talking loudly well into the night. It's a shame as the location is fantastic.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Denham-Grove, General Manager at Denham Grove, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Thank you for your feedback with regards to your most recent stay at Denham Grove. I was very disappointed to read that your repeat visit was unsatisfactory and so will my team. The majority of our bedrooms have been refurbished with modern décor and flat screen TV’s with plans in place to upgrade those remaining.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

This is my very first review on Tripadvisor, but I was so disappointed in this hotel I felt I had to warn others. We have just travelled 120 miles to check in this afternoon, and have promptly driven 120 miles back again, as we refused to stay here.

Firstly, upon checking in we were given the key to room 80. Upon opening the door, I was extremely disappointed to note the gloominess of the room and very dated decor. I was then, however, absolutely horrified to find that this room was already occupied! We traipsed back to reception who then allocated us room 72, without so much as an apology for their error. Back upstairs we traipsed, opened the door to yet another dreary, dismal room and immediately checked wardrobes and drawers for signs of occupancy. Thankfully they had not made the same mistake twice!

However, we then had some time to check out our surroundings, and were absolutely disgusted by the standard of cleanliness (or lack of) in the room, and merely bemused by the TV which looked like a throw back to the 80's and which did not offer even the 5 basic channels. The bathroom extractor really has to be seen to be believed!

We returned to reception again to advise that we were unhappy with the room and would be checking out. The receptionist merely asked what was wrong with it, and when shown the photographs I had taken, simply said "well the room's been paid for, so that's ok". No apology, no nothing!

I have stayed in other De Vere's and for the life of me cannot understand why they would allow this shoddy hotel to damage their brand.

It's hard to believe that only 2 weeks ago I was staying in the luxury of the Edinburgh Caledonian. Boy did this place bring me back down to earth with a bump!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 2Wanderingbears
Thank you for your detailed review of your most recent stay with us at Denham Grove. At De Vere we pride ourselves on constantly improving our service, so I am grateful you have taken the time to inform me about your unsatisfactory experience with us. I have shared your comments with our Reception Manager, who has in turn shared them and carried out necessary training with the entire Reception team so that such an oversight cannot happen again. I understand that first impressions are important and this was clearly a bad start to your stay. I take your points regarding cleanliness very seriously and these have been addressed with the Housekeeping Manager who will training and auditing her team as a matter of urgency. We are currently looking at what maintenance and improvements can be made to our bedrooms so thank you for such valuable feedback. I can only apologise for the inconvenience these matters may have caused during your stay, and I will take your points on board and always work to improve the information or quality of product my guests receive. I look forward to welcoming you back to show you what enhancements have been made.

Kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Denham hotels

Halifax, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

asked what time the restaurant opened on Sunday was told 7pm,, so waited till 7 then went in to find it did not open Sundays but bar meals were available all day,,
also why is there only one disabled parking space near reception, but 7, YES SEVEN, places reserved for the members of the gym,
disability discrimination on a large scale here,

Room Tip: if your disabled, expect a long walk past the keep fit henrys reserved parking outside the reception...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank AlbertR0ss
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your most recent stay with us at Denham Grove. I can only apologise for any inconvenience caused with your plans for your evening meal on Sunday. We have recently taken on some new team members who perhaps need a little longer to settle in but I am confident that positive changes are abound. I will continue to share the feedback that we receive so that the team can see what impact their actions have on our customers. I can only apologise for our lack of disabled parking however your very valid comments have been shared with higher management so that this can be taken into consideration as we continue to make improvements to our property. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay and giving you a memorable stay for the right reasons.

nynewie
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

hygiene in the food area needs to be tightened. the cook used his bare hands to place cooked items onto service plate.N0 gloves used. we then couldnt eat.Spoke to manager who said this was fine!
The spa pool etc couldn't be used as booked for swimming lessons. As the pool was deciding point in choosing the hotel we should have been informed it couldn't be used.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank nynewie
Thank you for your feedback with regard to your most recent experience at Denham Grove. I was sorry to read that your stay was disappointing. Our leisure facilities are very popular and I can only apologise for the inconvenience caused by the swimming lessons held at the time you wanted to take advantage of them. This is a regular occurrence in our swimming pool so to avoid disappointment with your next stay please feel free to call ahead and double check the lesson times. Your comments with regard to our Breakfast service will receive immediate attention from the Head Chef and his team so thank you for informing me. I look forward to welcoming you back so that you can see the difference your valuable feedback has made.

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Devere Hotels do send me details of wonderful offers for rooms at just £19 per night. As you can see by the time of this mail I am on-line very early and any such genuine offer should be available. After spending up to 2 hours intrying to book one of these phantom baragains with Devere I have never been successful in getting one of these so called 'bargains'. On phoning them when their lines are open they just say that all the rooms are now booked. Best make a booking you can rely on with Premier Inns or Marriot Hotels you are certain that what you book is what you get and not a confidence trick to try to try make you pay more money for a room than is advertised.

Room Tip: Rooms at another hotel will be the price advertised
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank GreatYarmouthTomTom
Cornwall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

This hotel is lovely, well kept, clean and tidy and in a noce location very conveinient for London. We stayed on a Saturday night for a weekend in London for the Cup final and to see the sights. The staff were great and very helpful, the pool, gym and bar are very nice and clean.

If you're going to London it's great as it costs £5 for a taxi to Denham station or there is lots of parking and from there a zone 1 to 6 travel card is £12.50, so it's great for football, gigs or whatever.

The downside is the restaurant, we ate on the saturday night buffet, the food was cold and not nice and they were only open for 2 hours and the staff were tidying up and cleaning around us. Considering the price was £25/head this was appaulling and so we complained and ended up not paying without even the slightest argument.

So my advice is great hotel but go elsewhere for food.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank neclemen
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

If you get a room on one of the deals then this is a good value hotel providing much better rooms, beds and facilities than the budget hotel chains such as travel lodge charging similar prices.
We paid 39 and had a small, date but clean and comfortable room on the ground floor and felt this was good value.

Check in and out was swift and the staff polite and helpful. It was a short walk to our room on the ground floor which over looked the garden and was very quiet.

The room was small and had dated decor but was full furnished, warm and comfortable. It had a working but very small, old TV. I get the feeling there are refurbished and non-refurbished rooms here and ours was non-refurbished. The bathroom was big and very clean with a full size bath and shower over the bath. We had plenty of towels and the water was hot and plentiful. There was a haridryer in the room and a tea tray although I didn't use the kettle as it was pretty grotty inside.

We didn't eat here but there is a small comfortable looking bar, a large modern restaurant and room service. There is a very large free car park which is great and free wifi which was easy to connect to. The pool is large and overlooks the grounds which is quite pleasent. Nothing special but an added bonus.

We drove to Watford nearby for dinner although Uxbridge and Pinner are closer.

When looking for the hotel on Tilehurst Lane if you came from the Uxbridge end, the hotel is quite far down this country lane on the left about half a mile past the airfield and not far past the turning on the right for a care home. It's further than we thought and we thought we might have missed it!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mel21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Denham
6.1 km away
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,656 reviews
9.6 km away
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel

Been to Denham Grove? Share your experiences!