“Disappointed ”
Review of The French Hen

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stourbridge
The French Hen
Ranked #5 of 6 Stourbridge B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 February 2017 via mobile

Been wanting to eat here for a long time .We visit here a lot in the summer time both as a couple and also with our scooter club on ride outs .
We know its not cheap here but it was my birthday so my husband booked us a table as a treat .
We live around an hour away when we arrived we had made a HUGE error .We hadn't picked up my husbands wallet with his money in .
We phoned the restaurant to explain the situation and cancel the table from the car park .
The girl we spoke to was so lovely we explained the situation and she said not to worry still come in , I said could we provide the card details and get my daughter to send a photo of the card front and back .She said that was fine .
From walking from the car park to the restaurant it all changed .The poor girl was mortified her boss said no way was he allowing that .Now I get the security issue I really do .
The poor girl was so sorry she had said yes and then now it was a no .
The customer service was pretty awful they offered no suggestion to our error an hour drive back home and there again wasn't an option so we just left .
We went else where nearer home and had a lovely meal .
It's a shame I've still not eaten there and probably never will come back not even for a drink after that experience.
The young waitress is an asset to this place your customer service was 10/10 .The rest gets 1/10 !!! .

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 25 January 2017

Had a lovely meal and the service excelled , we were served quickly efficiently with a smile . My party found the starters larger than expected and next time we said perhaps we would just have a main course . I would recommend the mussels . To be honest I think the place is a bit over priced ,my partners main course steak did no look good value for money . Main thing is we had a nice evening

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2017

Went in on a Saturday afternoon for a meal,was greeted on entry and shown to a table and asked what drinks we would like by a very polite waitress,fair play....
Ordered Steak Frites and Lambs liver and bacon.
The meal came out in good time but things were about to go down hill rapid.
The Steak frites (steak and fries)was rubbish,could't hardly cut it with a razor sharp knife,in fact it was like rubber,came with skinny fries and bits of salad....yak
Liver and bacon was ok but for almost £10.00 it should be.
Anyway for 2 cokes and two below average meals for £25.00 we will not be going back and will not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chris S
Reviewed 11 January 2017 via mobile

I ate in the restaurant last night. My friend and I both ordered deep fried brie to start, it arrived quickly but they were over cooked.
For main, my friend had scallops with bacon. The scallops were buried in bacon, that was watery and basically large slices of bacon cut up. Lardons would be better. The scallops had not been cleaned properly and were gritty.
I had mussels with soggy fries. The mussels were disgustingly rubbery and most of the shells were smashed so that I had to pick through small pieces of shell.
The waiting staff were friendly, but then appeared to go on a break for 30 minutes when they did not set foot in the restaurant at all to ask how the food was or to clear plates. We were left searching for a member of staff to ask for the bill, then the card machine was broken.
This was a final attempt at eating at The French Hen after a terrible meal about 12 months ago. It did not redeem itself and there are much better alternatives in the area.
Also the disabled/pushchair access at the rear is a very steep ramp!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kimberley B
Reviewed 24 October 2016

Beautiful building and deco.
Been here many times over the years but this was the first time had eaten Sunday lunch here.
It's good value at 15.95 for 3 courses.
The pate was ok but a bit sloppy, there wasn't enough meat with the roast although the roast potatoes were really scrumptious.
We had eaten at the Fountain the day before so had been a bit spoiled.
Dessert was nice, chocolate fudge cake.
I think that the waitress service needs to be a bit more professional.
Overall it was decent enough but not sure I would be returning in a hurry.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2016 via mobile

Been a few times now for lunch after a long walk up the Clent hills!,our dog was welcome too in the bar area!,friendly staff & great food! Would 100% recommend this place!,give it a try!
We will be visiting again soon

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrobsonwcs
Reviewed 2 October 2016 via mobile

As well as being here many times as a couple I've also chosen to have my 50th party in the upstairs function room and our engagement in the restaurant......so yes, I would recommend the French Hen. The bar, with its old wooden barrels, numerous old green bottles and selection of fine ales has a sort of old style 'spit and sawdust' feel but in a good way. The food, ambience and service has always been great too.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple