All reviews lovely lunch drinks order was taken moules liver bacon lovely atmosphere pork portions mains
Reviewed April 10, 2017

We went for Sunday lunch. The sun was shining and the setting lovely. Traditional Sunday lunch was the order of the day and didn't disappoint. We even had two lovely starters but dessert was a step too far thanks to the portion sizes.

Staff lovely though the bar service could have been a little quicker with only one serving sometimes.

Overall, I'll be back.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2017 via mobile

The menu promises so much but the food is of a poor standard . Rubbery scallops swimming in buttery water with pale undercooked bacon , how this can be described as a burnt butter sauce I just cannot comprehend.Same with the moules mariniere , the mussels shells were smashed , the sauce was overcooked so it split and it was swimming in a thick layer of butter . The beef bourginion had only 3 pieces of beef in a massive portion , the accompanying vegetables were overcooked, and the dauphinoise potatoes were greasy and you guessed it oozing with butter. Absolutely dreadful .

Stayed: April 2017
2  Thank Alan G
Reviewed April 2, 2017 via mobile

Dropped into the French Hen last night got a table no waiting, that in itself should have rang alarm bells, the meal arrived my wife's steak was not cooked as requested and had to be sent back, I had chicken which was dry and minuscule to say the least,more like a chicken wing, the veg looked like it had come out of the rubbish bin, the cabbage was dry and the potatoes were so saturated in grease it made me feel sick, when we complained, about it all we got was were are sorry and could have had a free desert, which we declined on the basis of how bad it might be, not once did they send a manager or chef over to apologise, instead left it to the poor waitress who had to endure my complaint, in a nut shell expensive for such a low quality meal and very poor customer service, if you enjoy throwing money down the toilet go to French Hen.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Hillside61
Reviewed March 7, 2017

The evening menu does not start until 6pm, but the food was well worth waiting for. Prices are not cheap but reflect the quality instead. The choice is wide and if French food is to your liking then this place is for you. The various rooms have great character and the atmosphere is very relaxed and calm. The staff were pleasant and polite.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2017

Was amazed to be served something labelled "FAT SPREAD " instead of butter
With my starter, and I have to say that that's exactly what it tasted of.
How any resturaunt thinks that this is acceptable is beyond me, I told the waitress
This and she was also surprised , but no one from management could be bothered to explain. Probably too embarrassed. The Sunday lunch and service was very good though.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple