All reviewslovely lunchdrinks order was takenmoulesliver baconlovely atmosphereporkportionsmains
Reviewed May 6, 2017 via mobile

This was the 1st time I visited The French Hen and what a lovely surprise. The atmosphere was great with the staff and food excellent, great to see the chef come out of his kitchen to ask If our food was to our liking and he was French. Well done guy's my partner and I WILL definitely return.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2017 via mobile

Looked at previous reviews and was a little worried about what it may be like. However, service has was good and food was tasty. The portions were massive but flavour didn't lack. Very enjoyable occasion

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed April 10, 2017

We went for Sunday lunch. The sun was shining and the setting lovely. Traditional Sunday lunch was the order of the day and didn't disappoint. We even had two lovely starters but dessert was a step too far thanks to the portion sizes.

Staff lovely though the bar service could have been a little quicker with only one serving sometimes.

Overall, I'll be back.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2017 via mobile

The menu promises so much but the food is of a poor standard . Rubbery scallops swimming in buttery water with pale undercooked bacon , how this can be described as a burnt butter sauce I just cannot comprehend.Same with the moules mariniere , the mussels shells were smashed , the sauce was overcooked so it split and it was swimming in a thick layer of butter . The beef bourginion had only 3 pieces of beef in a massive portion , the accompanying vegetables were overcooked, and the dauphinoise potatoes were greasy and you guessed it oozing with butter. Absolutely dreadful .

Stayed: April 2017
2  Thank Alan G
Reviewed April 2, 2017 via mobile

Dropped into the French Hen last night got a table no waiting, that in itself should have rang alarm bells, the meal arrived my wife's steak was not cooked as requested and had to be sent back, I had chicken which was dry and minuscule to say the least,more like a chicken wing, the veg looked like it had come out of the rubbish bin, the cabbage was dry and the potatoes were so saturated in grease it made me feel sick, when we complained, about it all we got was were are sorry and could have had a free desert, which we declined on the basis of how bad it might be, not once did they send a manager or chef over to apologise, instead left it to the poor waitress who had to endure my complaint, in a nut shell expensive for such a low quality meal and very poor customer service, if you enjoy throwing money down the toilet go to French Hen.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family