“Highly recommended” 5 of 5 bubbles

The George Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Mere B&B and Inns
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012 via mobile

This hotel was found online, when I arrived first appearance was very traditional and welcoming. I was due to stay 3 nights whilst on a course in nearby Warminster but unfortunately my course finished early which cut my stay to only 1 night. The staff were very polite and the overall experience was fantastic. The country breakfast was outstanding and I have my fair share of overnight stays in my line of work hug can say this particular breakfast cooked by Pat was outstanding and the bacon inarticulate was great very thick and minimal fat. I would highly recommend anyone to stay here and I would book again if near the local area. Might shoot my self on the foot here but if I was Pat I would 100% look at increasing the price as what they offer is well worth in my opinion £55-£65 and I couldn't see anybody questioning this.
All the best for the future
Mr A Bedford

• Stayed May 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

Stay on 7,8 May 2012 for 2 nights,Good size room,free parking,big cooked breakfast in the morning,Sleep well. WiFi just works in rooms ,maybe no shower in my room let it down a little??

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Somerset, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

We had lunch there today and had very good food, freshly produced and the time it took to arrive and spacing between courses was just right. The prices were very reasonable, especially the Specials. All the four different sauces/gravies tried were very tasty and not 'commercial' tasting. The only thing to let it down was the ice cream - very ordinary and disappointing - especially since the other puddings were home made and lovely; there are so many special ice creams available.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CadburyCountry
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Arrived reasonably early and was shown to my room after signing the register. Register is a little old fashion as left on reception in full view of everybody with resident's addresses... I did not write my real address as I think it is no longer safe to do this.
My room was just warm although the heating was full on. The room was very clean and the bed comfortable. There was no space to work in the room, which is a bit of a problem for me as I normally work in the evening. The broadband worked in the room but only if you stand by the door. The router could do with a bit more power.

Breakfast was excellent and the staff very friendly.

I had dinner there one evening, the food was good but I thought a little pricy.

Would I go back? Yes I would and may well do so as I work in the area most weeks at the moment

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
warlingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed at The George on 10th December to celebrate an early family Christmas. We were not disappointed. The Christmas meal was lovely, obviously home cooked not pre-frozen, and was excellent value for money. The rooms were clean and well equipped and the bed was so comfortable I wanted to take it home with me. There was a good choice at breakfast and the cooked breakfast was very good. We received a warm and friendly welcome at The George and wish the new owners every success. Hopefuly this lovely old inn has finally found the owners it deserves.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lizziew100
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

The inn was very quiet being a Sunday evening in early November but they did a nice meal for us. My wife had the pork tenderloin and I had the beef stroganoff and they were both very tasty!

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

I travel loads on work and like to get away from faceless hotel chains when I can. The George Inn has a few rooms upstairs above the pub and occasionally places of this sort can be real gems.

However, it's 11.30pm and they're still pulling pints in the pub downstairs. The walls are paper thin and I can hear people next door and loud voices from just 3 or 4 people downstairs coming through the floor. A shame, as otherwise it's well located and the rooms are straightforward and no-fuss (I hate hotels with endless brochures everywhere cluttering the rooms), as was the pub food - no-nonsense, wholesome and quick.

On the plus side however: free wireless internet, off street parking, decent breakfast, decent size of room. All for just £35, which is hard to beat. Bear in mind though, this is a pub with rooms upstairs - may be more suited to a group of friends than the business traveller.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mere
11.5 km away
0.4 km away
The Butt of Sherry
The Butt of Sherry
#22 of 26 in Warminster

Been to The George Inn? Share your experiences!