This is a little oasis in Rhyl. The building is an old, historic house ( I believe the oldest house in Rhyl) which has been sympathetically restored and decorated. Our room had a canopied bed, opulent soft furnishings, and a bathroom with an old iron enamelled bath. The bed was soft yet firm at the same time, I meant to check out what sort mattress it was for when we have to renew ours. The extras in the room gave it a really quaint luxurious touch. A little bedside dish of sweets, (including parma violets), a decanter of sherry, and hula-hoops and kit-kats on the tea/coffee tray.
Our hosts David and Elvira are very friendly and chatty, hospitable and obliging. When we visited they were even nursing a sick seagull back to health (feeding it on sea bass so there was none left for my dinner!). The food was excellent, David the chef has worked in Michelin starred restaurants, and it shows. His food has a fullness of flavour not universally found. His sauces were generous and flavoursome. The cherry and almond tart was lovely and no soggy bottom in sight! The sticky toffee pudding was rich with mouth filling flavour. The menu was written out by hand on our arrival, it all depends what came in fresh that day.
I have only one criticism, and Elvira, this is meant constructively, the bathroom linen lets the side down. Plush towels would complete the total experience of luxury.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in a peaceful acre of private grounds Tyn Rhyl is run by award winner Chef /owner David Barratt & his wife Elvira. David's cooking is imaginative generous & beautifully presented. His menu is adaptable & can be changed to suit personal /dietary requirements. The oldest house in Rhyl has paneled hall & snug, conservatory, restaurant & comfortable double ensuite bedrooms. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Barratts Of Tyn Rhyl Hotel Rhyl
- Barratts Of Tyn Hotel Rhyl
- Barratts Of Tyn Rhyl Wales, UK