All reviews riverside restaurant overlooking the river riverside room full welsh staff were very helpful and friendly first floor lovely hotel would stay again varied choice tea and coffee making facilities my partner pleasant place to stay sunday lunch function room lovely evening excellent quality car parking
Reviewed May 14, 2018

What a great place to stay - there were 26 of us and everyone really enjoyed this visit. We felt like we were at home from the minute we arrived. The staff were so friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble for them. At the same time, they were very professional and efficient. The rooms were good, the food was very good and the service was excellent

Room Tip: Tell them what you want and they will do their best to accommodate you
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2018

Travelling with my elderly mother to visit with family. Twin room, fantastic location, lovely views very central, comfortable, clean and wonderful friendly, helpful and attentive staff, regardless of the time of day/night. Breakfast (included), a varied choice on the breakfast menu and one does not feel rushed to leave the breakfast room with a lovely view of the River Severn. Have already stayed a couple of times and will do so again whenever I visit family and stay over in Newtown. I rate this hotel highly and my mum loves it. I highly recommend The Elephant & Castle.

Room Tip: One twin room has few stairs (no hand rail) leading into room. Might be concern if mobility issue. Liaise with hotel upon booking.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank 777Lock
Reviewed April 15, 2018 via mobile

Recently stayed here. Room was a decent size for the price and nice and clean. The cooked option for breakfast was OK, although a downside was they seemed to use the cheapest sausages possible which given the price differential to "premium" doesn't make sense. I can't comment on the continental selection but I was disappointed they didn't do granary bread.

Evening meal was again good - not the greatest selection but the "Ele" burger was very large and filling.

The major downside for me was the lack of EV charging, if this was included I would be back much more often.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2018

Our 17 strong family group (including 4 young children) dropped into The Elephant and Castle for lunch without any prior booking, and were looked after superbly! They rose to job with a level of energy and attentiveness that you rarely find these days. The food arrived pretty quickly and was universally given the thumbs up by all. Great service, great food. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed March 17, 2018

When approaching the pub we weren't very impressed but on entering we found that that 'you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.' The place was very nice and tastefully decorated. The Staff were very helpful and friendly. The drinks were reasonably priced. My wife ordered the rib eye steak and I had the vegeterian option, my wife said that the 'rib eye was cooked to perfection and the chips were very good.' My meal was beautifuuly presented and very tasty. The desserts were the best we have ever had, a real treat. Overall we think this pub is a work in progress hence the 4 rating but given a bit lof time we believe that it will soon warrant a 5. Will definitely come here when next in Newtown.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple