“Comfortable and Unexpected Perks”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of High Heaven

west-north
from the sea from the west
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
from the sea
from the west
back view with the terrace
terrace
front, entrance
front of the house, covered terrace
covered terrace/living & dinning area
view from the house
covered terrace/ living and dinning area
from the sitting room
open plan sitting room
bedroom 2 with the water bed
terrace from the bedroom 2
bathroom for bedroom 2
bedroom 1 with the AC
bedroom1 with the dressing room
library/study
dinning area in the garden
St George's at night
St George's
cruse ship terminal in St George's
view from the house
just Grenada
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Maggie S
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Mosquito Heaven - Holiday from Hell”
Reviewed August 9, 2015 for a stay in July 2015
people found this review helpful

We booked this accommodation as a two bedroom house but in matter of fact one of the bedrooms was totally unusable and unsuitable as the second bedroom did not have glass windows or netting just wooden shatters with big gaps which had the same effect of sleeping outside as well as being very unsafe, this of course led us to be eaten alive by mosquitos and having to share the other room which defeated the object of renting a two bedroom. To make matters worst the waterbed was fitted with a mosquito net which was full of holes making it into a trap . Whilst the views from the veranda were fantastic, I feel that I may as well have been staying outside, and saved the money. The property sits at the Top of one of the steepest hills and even if you are extremely fit would find it challenging and therefore hiring a car is a must which was an added expense considering we choose this property for being close to St Georges and public transports.

When we arrived at the property we were not aware neither or at any point informed that there were four cats living outside which due to the opened design of the house allowed them to come in and out at ease, this should have been stated as one of us suffers from animal hair allergy!!

The property also has many goats that require tended to on a daily basis by the gardener Lesley who happens to have keys to the property and comes to feed them everyday! It was a shock to find him knocking on our door in more than one occasion at 5.30 am as well as coming into the property one time as we coming out of the shower!!! again an invasion of our privacy and rights!! We were originally told that the gardener would come everyday to pick fruit for us, this is not the real reason as to why he comes but no other that feeding and minding the animals, although we were given mangoes everyday which quite frankly we could have picked ourselves???. We approached the Host/Owner about our issues but she was very unwelcoming about discussing anything, and even put the phone down on us and she told us (by email) that as 'we were so ill suited to her property' that we should vacate the house, therefore leaving us homeless. However, having paid in advance she did offer a full refund, but has since only partly refund us but certainly far from the full refund that we are entitle too as it was her who choose to propose to leave her home rather that trying to make it better and more suitable?? We have since tried to speak to her but she refuses to talk and puts the phone down on us!! Please be aware of this property and its owner.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Views
Liked least: this property and the poor customer service and deception
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
Management Response
19 Aug 2015
Response
“The two bedroom house” is 1500sq ft villa and the garden is 1.5 acre of tropical fruit trees and flowers with small herd of five sheep which help an eco and organic gardening system. Lesley is my 73 year old gardener who looks after the property and takes care of the animals and has been employed by me for many years. He comes about 7.30-8 am (it is still dark in Grenada at 5.30 am) and spends about one hour tending to the animals and the garden. He occasionally needs to come into the house to water the plants on the terrace and the veranda, but always by appointment and with the agreement of the guests. There is also a maid who looks after the guests, cleaning etc. She comes once or twice a week.
It is highly unfortunate and regrettable that the guests, two ladies, on this occasion were not happy. However, things did not get off to a good start as they lost their deposit for not making balance payment for the accommodation on the original due date. I however co-operated with them, gave them all the assistance possible and agreed to uphold their original booking despite this being against the policy of the booking website.
During their stay I ended up having to communicate with the two ladies and the maid by telephone and emails on a daily basis and it became impossible for either of us to keep up with the guests unreasonable, unending and unpredictable demands and complaints. Furthermore my maid and I became worried for my property because the two ladies had been inviting strangers into my home. This is clearly a breach of trust and against the protocol of home stay holidays
This house in Grenada is where I live and during the summer months I am away visiting friends and relatives. I was away during the ladies stay but I became exceedingly worried that the unprecedented behavior of the guests was making my staff very distressed. In the end I had politely suggested that they may find other accommodation. Once it was confirmed and they had moved out I sent them their refund immediately. They stayed in High Heaven 9 nights out 21 booked. Contrary to their opinion I had not offered a full or unconditional refund. They were charged for the days they stayed in High Heaven and received a refund with a detailed statement of accounts for the rest.
However, I believe that now the behavior of these guests is becoming vindictive. They continued to pursue me by telephone and e-mails, including verbally attacking my maid in the street in St Georges, which is inexcusable. In my opinion their complaints have been addressed, they have been compensated appropriately and I consider the matter closed.
In my defense it is true that I pointed out in an email that the ladies are not suited to be in my house, their complaints bear witness to this. For example it is traditional in the Caribbean for houses to be “open”; this is for many reasons not least to allow a cooling breeze to circulate. Also it is true that the house is on a steep hill, virtually all houses in Grenada are on a hill as it is a mountainous country – not flat like Barbados. Despite this the views from the terrace are rewarding with an exceptional views of the sun setting over the Caribbean Sea in the evening. In fact it is because the house is so natural that many visitors have really enjoyed their time here and it is a shame that these two visitors did not pay proper attention to the description on the website.
I may have omitted the cats but as they live outside and are almost feral except the oldest, Duke, who has been with me for 14 years and likes people, it did not occur to me that this could be an issue. I will address this and make sure that the cats are now included in the details in case of other pet hair allergy sufferers.
As for mosquitoes, Grenada is a tropical island. August falls in the middle of the rainy season which starts in June. Mosquitoes are inevitable. We do everything we can to keep them at bay. However the fact is they are attracted to the smell of some individuals and are able to detect it at 5 miles distance. A new mosquito net was offered to the guest but she declined.
In response to that negative review I have gone over my listing trying to be more descriptive about the details of the property.
Maria, High Heaven
dbmenard
Portland, Maine
“Comfortable and Unexpected Perks”
Reviewed February 23, 2014 for a stay in February 2014
person found this review helpful

My husband and I are just back from two weeks at High Heaven. We were met at the airport and the owner Maria had a wonderful rum punch to share with us. She also supplied late dinner/snacks for us too. It was so appreciated and thoughtful. Definitely value added. The rental car was brought right to the house too – which was convenient. We have rented houses where the owner lived there also and it was very uncomfortable, however, Maria was NOT AT ALL intrusive . In fact, it was just the opposite. She enhanced our stay and made us feel truly like her guests. My husband is an amazing cook and found the kitchen well equipped, and the BBQ just what we needed. The view of the sunsets from High Heaven can’t be beat and we loved watching the activity in the bay and we watched cruise ships leave St. George’s. We had no need for air conditioning and there was more than enough space for the two of us. Maria has beautiful gardens and the fresh fruit was amazing! I am afraid I will never taste a grapefruit again like Maria’s! She also has mangos, starfruit, soursop, oranges, lemons, papayas, and limes. High Heaven is handy to St. George’s for food, etc., and where we found the best beaches. We also enjoyed a rainbow almost every day!

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: View and location from St. George's
Liked least: Couldn't really walk the 1/4 mile to the water. The hill is pretty steep.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Graham C
Newbury Park
“The Real McCoy”
Reviewed July 29, 2013 for a stay in July 2013
people found this review helpful

We stayed for three weeks in "High Heaven", the owner's home while she was elsewhere. A view to die for from the living room as it is up a hill, no windows, just storm-curtains IF required. (We didn't need them). Large garden with home grown fruits ( I shall never buy another Mango in a supermarket after tasting these on a daily basis). Two bathrooms and plenty of interesting books on the shelves. Small kitchen(OK for doing your own breakfast, or say pasta, which we did from time to time). I believe that the owner is an artist, she had some of her own work in the house, but plenty of other people's too, I liked what I saw on the walls. We had AC in our bedroom, but we didn't need it, the ceiling fan was enough to keep cool at night. Friendly Gardener who likes a bit of a chat. I said that this is "The Real McCoy", this is someone's home in the Fontenoy district of St. Georges., this is NOT a hotel or a tourist trap. We hired a car which was useful for getting about.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The View and location
Liked least: The Cats were a bit shy.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing