“Awesome Sturgeon Fishing! Wilderness Fishing not so great :(”
Review of Fraser River Lodge

Fraser River Lodge
Reviewed 15 August 2017

Two friends and I recently stayed at the Fraser River Lodge for 4 nights and fished for 4 days. Overall we had a really good time and would like to return again.

The log cabin Lodge was really nice and simple with great views of the river and mountains. We really liked hanging out in the lounge and relaxing on the huge deck after a long hot day on the river.

We stayed 3 in a room to save a little money and it felt a little cramped at times. Overall the rooms are nice and a decent size. The bathroom is large, the beds were comfortable and the air conditioner and TV worked great.

The owners and staff at the lodge were top notch, everyone we met was very friendly and accommodating. Our room was always made up nice while we were out fishing and the service at the lounge and check-in was always great. Frank was always eager to hear our fish stories from the day and he always made sure the trip was going well.

The Food at the lodge is excellent. The 3 course meals each night were always delicious and cooked to perfection. The packed lunches and shore lunches were always good and perfect for the boat. Breakfast always had a table of breads, muffins, fruits and cereals as well as a hot breakfast. The hot breakfast was good but for guests staying multiple days it would have been nice to have some pancakes or bennys one day to change it up.

Sturgeon fishing was obviously the highlight of the trip. We fished all three days not far from the lodge so it was nice to get out there quickly and get an early fish in the boat to start the day. We never went up to the canyon to fish, it was a bit more travel time and I believe it was an extra cost?? A couple we met at the lodge went up there and their pictures looked really nice and they caught some great fish as well. I would definitely have to try that for one day if I return. In the end we caught 18 sturgeon over 3 days between the 3 of us and we loved every minute of it. We ended up with a double header of 7' and almost 9' and that was the highlight of the trip for me. We were very happy with our guide Jay. He was really knowledgeable and organized. He knew lots of good spots and was always working hard to make sure we were catching fish and getting great pictures. We enjoyed his company and his boat and I will definitely be requesting him if I return.

We were pretty excited to change it up for a day and go wilderness fishing for some Salmon and bull trout but we ended up a little disappointed in the end. When I originally booked the trip, my itinerary said breakfast at 530am and Wilderness fishing at 615am. Turns out we had to leave the lodge by 430am to beat traffic, drive for an hour and then boat across a lake for 45 minutes just to get to the river. I love fishing but that was just too early for me and I wish I would have done my homework on that a bit better. Once we got to the river things were going ok, we caught some small Trout and we were really enjoying the views and the beautiful turquoise water. At first it felt quite secluded but throughout the morning 4 or 5 boats blasted by us up the river, often right through the hole we were fishing effectively ending that fishing hole for us. After a slow morning we finally asked for more lures because whatever we were using wasn't working but our guide didn't really have much selection, just a bunch of the same kind of hooks tangled in a box. My friend managed to find one spinner in there and he caught 2 salmon fairly quickly but by that time we had to head down river for lunch. Lunch was great but after we ate we fished for maybe a half hour more and got rushed out of there because we had a 2 hour trek back to the lodge. Two of us ended up not catching a salmon and I realize that sometimes the fish just aren't biting but after having Jay as our guide for a couple days it just didn't feel like our wilderness guide was giving us full effort for what we paid. Another group we met at the lodge didn't seem overly impressed with their wilderness trip either and I wish I would have taken that warning and tried to opt out for another day catching sturgeon instead. The wilderness river and lake are beautiful and the lunch was delicious but the early morning depart+travel time was painful and we didn't feel like our guide was doing everything he could to get us into some salmon.

Room Tip: Room 8 is right on the end, good location.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Frank_Staiger, Owner at Fraser River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2017

Hello Rob,
thank you for your review. We appreciate you enjoyed the lodge, the food and our meals along with the great atmosphere and sturgeon fishing. As for the wilderness fishing, it is sometimes difficult to meet all expectations. Knowing now the afterthoughts, it might have been better to have you out sturgeon fishing on your wilderness day. The river is open for boats and 3 or 4 other boats on the entire river in the wild is very rare in 1 day. As for our guide, he has been consistently putting our guests into fish with excellent feedback, although, there are slower days. If I recall properly your group landed 16 bull trout, 2 kings and 1 sockeye. Of course this does not compare to the ginormous sturgeon fishery, since it is a different world. Regardless, we are excited to have all of your back to catch some more monsters of the Fraser. See you again. Frank

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

My wife and I came for a quick trip (2 nights and 1 day of sturgeon fishing) last week and we had an amazing time.

I haven't been to the Lodge in several years but the setting, the staff, and the fishing is top notch as usual. We had great dinners and breakfasts, got to know some of the other guests over cold beers after fishing and during our meals, and the fishing was great. Our sturgeon guide Kerry got us into a few really nice big sturgeon and cooked us up a great BBQ lunch on the boat to top it all off.

Kudos to Frank and all of the staff. Thanks again for some great memories and a wonderful trip. Hope to be back again sometime.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

Wow! Fraser River Lodge didn't disappoint! My friend and i spent a night at the lodge before doing an 8 hour Sturgeon fishing trip.
The room was clean and comfy - the beds were amazing! And the view frim the dexk was beautiful
All meals were delicious - and the waiters and chef's made sure we had everything we needed. They were engaging and helpful.
Kerry, our fishing guide made sure we had the best day on the water and ensured that we were at the best spots to land a Sturgeon.
Thanks to everyone for a really enjoyable stay! We will be back to catch that 9 footer that got away!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2017

Just returned from a two-day, mid-June, trip with my brother-in-law to fish for sturgeon. We had a great time! Hotel staff were pleasant, welcoming, and always there when needed; setting-appropriate gourmet meals were superb; and Jay, our fishing guide, kept us in fish and on our game. We couldn't have asked for a greater trip. I heartily recommend Fraser River Lodge as a fishing destination.

(Suggested to the father of a bride, there for a pre-wedding walkthrough, that he skip the wedding and spend the time fishing. He looked as if he might be considering it!)

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Frank_Staiger, Owner at Fraser River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2017

Dear "Swashbuckler",
thank you for your wonderful review of your experience at our lodge. We truly enjoyed having you and your friend with us, experiencing quality time on and off the water. Very funny about the father of the bride.

Take care ...

Frank Staiger

Reviewed 13 June 2017

The Fraser River Lodge is a breathtaking backdrop for a wedding venue.
I hosted my daughters wedding on May 27, 2017 and as the mother of the bride I have dreamed about this day for a long time. The service was impeccable, the food was five stars.The staff exceeded my expectations in every way. Ann, Frank, Wendy, Hector, Danny, Belinda, Bill and staff, there are no words to express the depth of appreciation for all your hard work. I truly do not believe that we would have been able to pull off the magical, joyous, love-filled wedding without you. Thank you!
Sharon Touchet

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Frank_Staiger, Owner at Fraser River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2017

Thank you, Sharon, for your nice review. It was a pleasure hosting you and your family at our lodge. Glad all went to your fullest satisfaction. See you again. Frank Staiger

Reviewed 23 May 2017

This place is paradise!! You can feel the stress leave your body as you travel through the mountains, over the river to this beautiful place. The view is spectacular, the accommodation is comfy (great king beds and nice pillows) and the food is delicious.
The staff were very friendly and the wedding planner was calm and helpful.
For the Bride there is a special room for her and the girls to spend the day getting ready. The Groom and his group get a space that includes a pool table. For the Guests there is ample space to sit, stand or walk around enjoying the view and even watch Buffalo.
Can't think of a more beautiful spot to host a wedding.

Room Tip: All the rooms are huge and have a beautiful view. The house on the property has lots of indoor and...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Vierke1
Frank_Staiger, Owner at Fraser River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

Hello Vierke, thank you for your kind words and your nice review. We are very happy to hear that the wedding you were part of turned out so well. See you again.
Frank Staiger

Reviewed 7 May 2017

This lodge was spectacular! Was there for a wedding 2 weekends ago and was fortunate enough to also have a room there. The staff were so friendly and accommodating. Beautiful rooms, breathtaking views, super comfiest beds and bedding. The food was delicious. I would chose this place if I was getting married!

Room Tip: From what I could see you can't get a bad room! They all have the same spectacular view.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank 271Liz510
FRLodge, Owner at Fraser River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2017

Thank you for your nice review. We are always happy to see that our guests enjoy the comfort of our lodge and the delicious food. Take care. Frank Staiger

Also consider these accommodations in or near Agassiz
9.3 km away
Harrison Hot Springs Resort & Spa
Harrison Hot Springs Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Harrison Hot Springs
4.4 km away
Eagle Tree Lodge
Eagle Tree Lodge
#2 of 2 in Agassiz

Been to Fraser River Lodge? Share your experiences!