“Simply Amazing!”
Review of Fraser River Lodge

Fraser River Lodge
Reviewed 8 October 2017

Spent 5 days at Fraser River lodge in September. The food was amazing, the staff extremely friendly and the fishing was incredible, didn't think it could get any better until the last day when we caught two 8 foot sturgeon. Big thanks to Kerry our guide. We will be back!

Room Tip: All rooms have equally good views
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 October 2017

I really can't say enough positive things about my recent weeks stay at the lodge. The diligence and professionalism I encountered was really first class and all of the staff were wonderful. ALL going up and above the call of duty to look after us. Not only were all of the people absolutely wonderful but our fishing excursions were managed with impeccable detail quite honestly brilliant ! To top this off our fishing was beyond our wildest expectation and again conducted with such diligence and professionalism, thank you Jay ! We changed our itinerary without any hassle what so ever while we was there. The staff really couldn't do enough to ensure we had the most wonderful experience, big thank you to Frank and all the team there. Keith and I had a great time and really felt like part of the family. Ive been on many overseas fishing trips and Fraser River Lodge really sets the standard for the rest to learn from in every way. Big thank you to all of you and please tell Jay he looks better in that blonde wig we eventually got him to wear !!!

Room Tip: Ask the staff they'll put you in the best room. For bigger parties the 'Outpost' is a ho...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

What an outfit. So organized from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave.

I had the pleasure of fishing with frank the owner and one of his guides Mike. Truly will be one of the more memorable fishing trip I will ever do.

The two of them where so knowledgeable and professional.

The lodge is absolutely gorgeous. The food was spectacular.

I would truly recommend this place to anyone who is interested in a top notch experience.

Thank you Frank, Mike and the entire Fraser River lodge staff I had a blast.

Grant.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Frank_Staiger, Owner at Fraser River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

Hello Grant,
thank you for your nice review. We all had a blast during that fishing tournament. It was very nice meeting you and the others and hopefully we will see you at the next tournament. Take care ... Frank

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

Don't wait a minute longer go there. If you have ever thought about trying fishing in a luxury/wilderness experience then this is the place for you.
If you have never held a rod or you are a budding Earnest Hemingway this is it. From the minute you arrive to the minute you leave everything is done to make your experience as memorable as possible. Belinda, Frank and all the crew are absolutely fantastic.
I can't describe the feeling of hooking into a fully charged canyon sturgeon. They really hang on!!!!! There is only one downside............my wife caught the biggest fish. The guides are all experienced and want you to have the time of your life. The boats and tackle are outstanding and the food and rooms are fab! We are booking for next year now and we have only got back today. Please please do not book Mike as your guide any time next September because he's ours and we love him! Oh and they do weddings in a fabulous setting! I'm not on the payroll .....honest.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Frank_Staiger, Owner at Fraser River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Hello Mick, I am laughing as I write this thank you reply. It was a blast having the 4 of you here at the lodge. What a great time for all of us. Cannot wait to welcome you back in 12 months. See ya ... Frank

Reviewed 17 September 2017

My brother in law was coming to visit from England. It coincided with my husbands birthday so I wanted to plan something special for the occasion. The guys both love fishing and had always been interested in Sturgeon fishing, so I began to plan the trip. After reading some great reviews I decided on FRL.

Belinda, the Fishing Coordinator and office manager was a delight. So helpful in making the all the arrangements and offering great suggestions to make this trip a fabulous one. I loved talking to her
The guys arrived for their two night stay. The welcoming was great. The owners son was kind enough to show them some local fishing spots so they could do
some fishing on their own.
The second day was an early morning start with an amazing breakfast. Then off to meet their guide...Dan. From what I've been hearing, he was fantastic. Phil and Ray caught 8 Sturgeon , and have come back with endless stories.
The owner Frank was very hospitable, he checked with the guys and ensured they had everything they needed.
All in all the trip to Fraser River Lodge was a fantastic one. Thank you for everything!
I know there will be a return visit.

Room Tip: Gorgeous lodge...any room would be great
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Frank_Staiger, Owner at Fraser River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Hello Theresa,
thank you for your nice review. We are very happy that the boys enjoyed their fishing holiday with us and hopefully, one day, we will seem the again. Take care. Frank Staiger

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Nestled in the middle of no where lys tbis beautiful lodge with fantastic rooms, great food and fantastic fishing. Frank the owner was there to greet us when we arrived and again when we returned. Always concerned that everything was ok. It was more than ok. Love this place and the fishing was fantastic.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Frank_Staiger, Owner at Fraser River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Thank you, Lisa for your nice review. We enjoyed having you and your husband as our guests and hope to see you again. All the best. Frank Staiger

Reviewed 15 August 2017

Two friends and I recently stayed at the Fraser River Lodge for 4 nights and fished for 4 days. Overall we had a really good time and would like to return again.

The log cabin Lodge was really nice and simple with great views of the river and mountains. We really liked hanging out in the lounge and relaxing on the huge deck after a long hot day on the river.

We stayed 3 in a room to save a little money and it felt a little cramped at times. Overall the rooms are nice and a decent size. The bathroom is large, the beds were comfortable and the air conditioner and TV worked great.

The owners and staff at the lodge were top notch, everyone we met was very friendly and accommodating. Our room was always made up nice while we were out fishing and the service at the lounge and check-in was always great. Frank was always eager to hear our fish stories from the day and he always made sure the trip was going well.

The Food at the lodge is excellent. The 3 course meals each night were always delicious and cooked to perfection. The packed lunches and shore lunches were always good and perfect for the boat. Breakfast always had a table of breads, muffins, fruits and cereals as well as a hot breakfast. The hot breakfast was good but for guests staying multiple days it would have been nice to have some pancakes or bennys one day to change it up.

Sturgeon fishing was obviously the highlight of the trip. We fished all three days not far from the lodge so it was nice to get out there quickly and get an early fish in the boat to start the day. We never went up to the canyon to fish, it was a bit more travel time and I believe it was an extra cost?? A couple we met at the lodge went up there and their pictures looked really nice and they caught some great fish as well. I would definitely have to try that for one day if I return. In the end we caught 18 sturgeon over 3 days between the 3 of us and we loved every minute of it. We ended up with a double header of 7' and almost 9' and that was the highlight of the trip for me. We were very happy with our guide Jay. He was really knowledgeable and organized. He knew lots of good spots and was always working hard to make sure we were catching fish and getting great pictures. We enjoyed his company and his boat and I will definitely be requesting him if I return.

We were pretty excited to change it up for a day and go wilderness fishing for some Salmon and bull trout but we ended up a little disappointed in the end. When I originally booked the trip, my itinerary said breakfast at 530am and Wilderness fishing at 615am. Turns out we had to leave the lodge by 430am to beat traffic, drive for an hour and then boat across a lake for 45 minutes just to get to the river. I love fishing but that was just too early for me and I wish I would have done my homework on that a bit better. Once we got to the river things were going ok, we caught some small Trout and we were really enjoying the views and the beautiful turquoise water. At first it felt quite secluded but throughout the morning 4 or 5 boats blasted by us up the river, often right through the hole we were fishing effectively ending that fishing hole for us. After a slow morning we finally asked for more lures because whatever we were using wasn't working but our guide didn't really have much selection, just a bunch of the same kind of hooks tangled in a box. My friend managed to find one spinner in there and he caught 2 salmon fairly quickly but by that time we had to head down river for lunch. Lunch was great but after we ate we fished for maybe a half hour more and got rushed out of there because we had a 2 hour trek back to the lodge. Two of us ended up not catching a salmon and I realize that sometimes the fish just aren't biting but after having Jay as our guide for a couple days it just didn't feel like our wilderness guide was giving us full effort for what we paid. Another group we met at the lodge didn't seem overly impressed with their wilderness trip either and I wish I would have taken that warning and tried to opt out for another day catching sturgeon instead. The wilderness river and lake are beautiful and the lunch was delicious but the early morning depart+travel time was painful and we didn't feel like our guide was doing everything he could to get us into some salmon.

Room Tip: Room 8 is right on the end, good location.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Frank_Staiger, Owner at Fraser River Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2017

Hello Rob,
thank you for your review. We appreciate you enjoyed the lodge, the food and our meals along with the great atmosphere and sturgeon fishing. As for the wilderness fishing, it is sometimes difficult to meet all expectations. Knowing now the afterthoughts, it might have been better to have you out sturgeon fishing on your wilderness day. The river is open for boats and 3 or 4 other boats on the entire river in the wild is very rare in 1 day. As for our guide, he has been consistently putting our guests into fish with excellent feedback, although, there are slower days. If I recall properly your group landed 16 bull trout, 2 kings and 1 sockeye. Of course this does not compare to the ginormous sturgeon fishery, since it is a different world. Regardless, we are excited to have all of your back to catch some more monsters of the Fraser. See you again. Frank

Also consider these accommodations in or near Agassiz
17.0 km away
Coast Chilliwack Hotel
Coast Chilliwack Hotel
#2 of 9 in Chilliwack
9.3 km away
Harrison Hot Springs Resort & Spa
Harrison Hot Springs Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Harrison Hot Springs
Eagle Tree Lodge
#2 of 2 in Agassiz
11.9 km away
Mt. Woodside Bed & Breakfast

Been to Fraser River Lodge? Share your experiences!