All reviews private pool sushi place individual pool upper pool private boat trip up to date sushi bar designed rooms hammock overlooking the ocean breakfast was excellent modern hotel swimming pool and restaurant meal times the ground floor rooms idyllic place small town staying at this hotel
Reviewed April 24, 2017

Me and my boyfriend had the best vacation in Holbox at Villas Palapas. When we arrived we were so enchanted with the decoration, the beach, the half moon pool, the gorgeous restaurant, its all so romantic and intimate, plus clean and in new condition. There are plenty of other hotels in Holbox we went to another one for lunch and then walked by a few, but this is by far the best place to stay. The room service was really fast, the free breakfast very complete, just excellent.

1  Thank AlexSv88
Joan X, Gerente at Villas HM Palapas del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2017

Dear AlexSv88,

Thank you for choosing HM Palapas del Mar for your vacation trip, and specially for your review about your experience amoung us!

I'm really happy that you enjoyed a great vacation and that you have found our lovely hotel to be a great one.

We hope to have you back soon, so you can live the unqiue HM Palapas del Mar experience again.

Reviewed April 24, 2017

As a number of people have mentioned this is a brand new hotel, opened in January I believe. It's clearly been set up by experts in the hospitality trade (they've had practice at their next door hotel) as in so many ways it's a great experience with a lot of little touches that are just right. Our (superior beach view) room was huge with a very large comfy bed, big screen, safe, fridge, lots of storage space, a huge rain shower, an excellent fan plus air-con, a nice large patio area and a mini pool shared with the room next door. However, the room next door was adjoined to ours via 2 (very thin) doors which meant noise travelled through easily - which was really frustrating when the first occupants had the TV on really loud, then the next occupants were a noisy family. The last straw was when the kids put a load of earth from the flower bed in the pool - at which point we asked to be moved. The hotel were really good about it and put us upstairs (no pool, which was fine by us), but still had the adjoining room issue - they should really sort this out - I don't understand why it can't be a solid noise-proof door? Two other (minor) gripes with the room: not one of the channels had any English language TV or movies - surely they can buy a package with some international channels? Also, the "sea view" is fairly limited - it's more of a sliver of sea between the other buildings, than a full view. I also have a request: please can you provide an umbrella on balconies especially the upper floors, which receive the sun for most of the afternoon!

More positive points: it's a really relaxed hotel with excellent service - the receptionist Dhino and the head barman Jesus were both really friendly (we had some good laughs with Jesus). There's a swim-up bar which is always fun, and the pool is a decent size (and there's another upstairs next to the sushi bar). Breakfast was excellent - a really good choice of buffet food. We had lunch occasionally which was fine and can be brought out to the sun-loungers along with drinks, though it could do with some more veggie options.

It's about 750 yards from the village - a really lovely walk along the beach or if you're feeling lazy (or if you don't fancy a dark walk back at night) you can always hail a golf buggy. The beach is really gorgeous - white sand, turquoise sea, fairly quiet - just idyllic. Another slight issue for me (which I could probably have worked out from the map) is that the hotel isn't really on the beach. There's a road between the garden area (sand, palm trees and sun-loungers - lovely) and the beach, though at least it's a quiet (sandy) road with only golf buggies going past - but you can barely see the sea from the sun-loungers, which is a shame. That said it's a very short walk to the beach itself, and the very warm sea (though you can only really swim at high tide unless you wade out quite a long way).

It's a really beautiful island and a great setting for the hotel, but the issues meant I could only give it 4 stars not the 5 stars that it potentially deserved.

Room tip: Upper floor, superior sea view rooms seem to be best
3  Thank tonysony

Dear tonysony,

I would like to thank you for the time you have dedicated to review our HM Palapas del Mar. At our hotel we constantly strive to meet your needs and exceed your expectations, therefore your feedback is very important to us.

It pleased us to learn that you found our resort beautiful especially our suites and staff service.

On the other hand, please let us express our deepest apologies for not having exceeded your expectations; your feedback is an important part of our business and it is through constructive comments that we are able to improve our services.

Again, we do value your comments very much and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and show you our improvements.

Reviewed April 24, 2017

Picked this hotel specifically because it was a new hotel and we enjoyed everything about our stay. The rooms are beautiful and breakfast is amazing. The beach is kept clean and the pool very nice. A perfect place to relax and enjoy some quiet time in fantastic surroundings. We enjoyed every minute.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank dsandra48

Dear dsandra48,

It is so gratifying to read your comments and through them realize that your experience was so nice.

The best part of this job is when we hear comments such as yours which confirm that our efforts are worthy.

We can't wait to welcome you again in our peaceful and relaxing haven.

Reviewed April 19, 2017

A week in early Feb; it was great. A TUI-package with a direct 11-hour flight from Finland to Cancun, and transfers. (at the airport there was a two-hour-queue to the passport control).
But the complex is small-ish (abt 52 rooms) , really beautiful with perfect location. The surroundings are clean and well-kept , very close to perfection. White sand, palm trees, a stunning beach just across the small sandy road. Holbox center ia about 10-15 min walk away.
At breakfast there were all the usual goodies and a lot of local specialties; salsa, burritos, fried potates, juices etc. And the best youghurt ever.
The beautiful room: big, white, clean and well-cleaned. The only little complaint would be about the interconnecting door and some noise coming through. Closets/shelves were a bit smallish but adequate, TV, AC, proper curtains. Modern+local.
The service was perfect and helpful. Reasonably priced water available. The sun lounger/beach chair area is partially shaded with those nice coconut palm trees, the area was almost full sometimes; it could use a few more chairs/beds... And there is a resident lizard.

Room tip: In our room there was the inter-connecting door with some little noise coming through.. All rooms seem to have at least a glimpse of sea.
Date of stay: February 2017
1  Thank hannu h

Dear hannu h,

First than anything allow me to thank you for expressing such a wonderful words about our lovely hotel HM Palapas del Mar.

I'm so pleased to know that your stay was nothing but excellent. Your comments are so gratifying and it is exactly because of comments such as yours that we keep moving forward and do our best to always please our guests in all possible ways.

Thank you once more for your comments; We would love to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 6, 2017

HM Palapas del Mar is first class!
I just returned from a solo trip to Hotbox Island for some much needed tranquility and rejuvenation... I could not have had a better experience with stay at this property. Not only is it beautifully designed, the staff is incredibly accommodating and the location is fantastic.
I was so impressed with all of my experience, from booking the airport transfer to the island & hotel, my warmly greeted arrival to the gorgeous property, the friendly staff making me feel welcome at ease as solo traveler (excellent restaurant and island exploring recommendations and help with booking an in room massage!) and the entire staff and all of their service during my stay!
I loved it here so much I am already slating out my return visit and stay in the next few months! Cannot wait to go back!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Jesa H

Dear Jesa,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us through TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed an Amazing vacation at our hidden Paradise, HM Palapas del Mar.

I'm thrilled to know that we were successful in providing you a memorable experience and that all your expectations were met. I will share your comments with the entire team, they will be very happy to hear from you.

Thank you once more for your comments, we would love to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.