“Fantastic food on the beach”

Raices Beach Club and Marina
Ranked #26 of 116 Restaurants in Holbox Island
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 3, 2017 via mobile

We took a walk on the beach on our first day in Holbox and found this fantastic slow food restaurant. It is a very simple place right on the beach, very close to the ocean. The food is fantastic! We started every meal with their guacamole and chips wich are amazing!! All the food we had was really good, fish tacos, shrimp tacos and grilled shrimps were the favourites. We ended up having lunch here every day during our 6 day visit on Holbox. Beer is cold and cheap. And food is also very price worthy. There is always music playing, lots of Bob Marley and on some days they had live bands playing during sun set and the sun set there is amazing! The staff are cool but friendly and relaxed. Raices also serve dinner and I can imagine it is great to sit there also in the evening but we never tried that. I can warmly recommend this place for a good, genine Mexican meal.

1  Thank Byonda

Reviewed January 1, 2017 via mobile

First lunch we had upon arriving to Holbox. Can't beat the location in a beautiful stretch of beach. Very busy restaurant so we waited for a table. My husband and I both had the fish tacos and they were my favorite on the island. The ceviche was excellent too, tho a smaller serving than other restaurants we later tried. Service was slow but seems to be the norm for Holbox. They are definitely on "island time." My biggest complaint was the loud live band playing during lunch. We love live music but the speaker volume could have been turned down a notch. Such a peaceful, beautiful setting--the noise level took away from it.

Reviewed December 31, 2016 via mobile

I overheard reggae music and well I walked down to the beach and there it was. Some guys playing live reggae, the beautiful beach and some food. This place is open to anyone and you can totally go even if you don't consume. What I would do....
1. Go early, like 11:00Am, and get a table, pass your day on the beach with a table while ordering some beers
2. Order your food 1 hour before, it says "slow food" for a reason but it's soooooo worth it.
3. Get a relatively cheap 600 peso massage while you wait.
4. Eat the best fish tacos you've had in your lifetime. Get your fish with your tortillas and make yourself some tacos.
5. Chill and listen to reggae, talk to the young people there and find someone to have fun with.

1  Thank GerardoM1227
Reviewed December 21, 2016

First let me start by saying this is a slow cook food restaurant so it might take a little longer to get your food, but in the end so worth it!

This little gem is right on the beach. Under a simple palapa! so at first I was a little hesitant to eat at any restaurant since my visits to Cancun & playa del carmen the food there was not good, in my opinion, so my mistake was judging Holbox based on tthat. anyways, back to raices, we ordered their guacamole and chips appetizers & OMG, delicious! Once I ate that, I KNEW it was going to be good! So, I ordered their
Camarones al mojo de ajo, which is shrimp cooked in garlic and OMG!!! BOMB, DELICIOUS, RICO, BUENO! you get the idea! lol- This was the go to spot since my sisters villa was near this restaurant! Also try the ceviche! Cant go wrong with their food! The owner and the wife have the best customer service! They also have live band which was pretty awesome!

Really enjoyed my time in Holbox! Hope it remains the same chill island

Reviewed December 9, 2016 via mobile

Not sure how consistent the music is here but we had lunch here twice and walked past a few more and everyday for a week they had live reggae from an out of tune white dude singing bob marley covers poorly on a sound system at much high volume than it was capable.
Food and service was generally good although ceviche was really really acidic to the point of unpleasantness.

1  Thank lancasterlondon