“Awesome!”

The Legendary Black Water Rafting Co.
Book In Advance
More Info
US$97.21*
and up
Black Water Rafting Waitomo Caves Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: The Legendary Black Water Rafting Co. Is New Zealand's first and world renowned Black Water adventure operator. With over 27 years experience we invite you to become part of our legend. Experience this mysterious, magical underground world of ancient caves, rivers and waterfalls, rock formations and breathtaking glowworms.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Dummer, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Awesome!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

As a (slightly over-weight and unfit) couple in our mid fifties we were certainly stood out on out Black Water Rafting experience, but the guides and some of the others on the 14 person expedition looked after us well. We were on the first trip of the day and although I'm reasonably sure the wet suits were 'clean' but the musty dank smell when the lock up was opened was a little off putting, but once in them (weebles wobble) all that was forgotten about!
The changing facilities were basic, gents communal (forgot to ask Mrs R200 what the ladies was like) showers for after = good believe me.
The guides were understanding of peoples limitations and fears, never making Mrs R200 feel anything but looked after (although she booked it, it certainly was out of her sedate comfort zone when it comes to water).
The actual experience was both fun and with the guides more than humourous commentary on the glow worms, very interesting.
One very slight negative I'd like to warn other trippers about, within four days of our visit Mrs R200 developed an ulcerated cornea and pseudomonas infection, now I am not saying she got this infection whilst in the glow worm caves but as pseudomonas is a water and soil bourne infection the smart money is on her having a slight sore on her eye (caused by contact lens over wearing) and a splash of water helped the bug into the eye. Four weeks on, she still has no vision from that eye and is receiving on going hospital treatment. I'm not saying for one minutes don't do the black water rafting, what I am saying is be careful, a lasting holiday memory can be caused by something as innocent as an eye infection.

Visited January 2012
2 Thank ChrisR200

• Korean first
  • Polish first
new york
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“If you're looking for a little adventure...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

We were on the black abyss tour, which is certainly adventurous. Nothing was too challenging, but it's certainly not for the faint of heart. Our guides were perfectly cheeky in a Kiwi fashion. Definitely recommend if you are in the area!

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Lauren S
glasgow
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“fab service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

really enjoyed the ' rafting' it was interesting and the guides were great fun. the rafting itself is more like drifting but was still enjoyable.
would like to make a special mention to the lady at reception who went out of her way to help after i left my handbag in the canteen and only noticed 2 hrs later....she sent it to my next destination on the bus to save us the journey.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank katiedarlin
Wellington
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Lots of variety and loads of glow worms!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

As an average Kiwi my prior knowledge of Waitomo Caves was a visit with Mum and Dad as a kid – vague memories of walking through a set of caves with stalactites and stalagmites, having a few glow worms pointed out to me, and then being back outside squinting in the bright sunlight – and that was it.

Going back to a place you remember from childhood seldom lives up to the memories, but revisiting Waitomo Caves surpassed anything I remembered. There were probably fewer options back then, and the facilities have been upgraded considerably, but with 350 mapped cave systems, and probably as many again that haven’t been mapped, the options are endless.

Because all the caves are on private property each company negotiates with the landowners for access (in many cases negotiating exclusive rights) – so when it comes to choosing your caving trip, take the time to read all the options that each company offers – there will be options for getting wet or staying dry, easy or physical, length of time, adventure rating, and specific attractions such as glow worms etc. As mentioned above different companies use different cave systems, so trying to pick ‘the best cave’ is pretty pointless – they all have to have something special about them before they are used for tours.

The 5 hours Black Abyss tour was the second of two tours I had booked while staying at Waitomo Caves. I completed the first tour the previous day (a 7 hour trip with another company) and honestly, comparisons are pointless – we went to different caves, did different things and I thoroughly enjoyed both tours. There isn’t a penultimate caving experience at Waitomo – you could do 10 different tours and they will all have something different about them. We met at the Legendary Black Water Rafting centre, which was very upmarket; nice café, nice gift shop and indoor/outdoor eating areas. The staff were friendly and organised – and I’m glad I prebooked, as both here and the other company I used I saw people trying to get walk in bookings with little success – the tours were full. So a word to the wise – prebook your tour.

Our Tour Leaders (Jed and Vee) introduced themselves, and we (a group of around 8-9) were kitted up and off in the van for the ride up to the site. Up in the hills of a private farm we got out and had a practice abseil and a thorough safety debrief (which was well done – not too preachy, but they made their point that safety was a priority) and then it was one at a time down the 35 meter hole which really was a black abyss.

I really don’t want to go into too much detail regarding the tour itself (what they describe for the tour really is accurate) but for me personally I really liked the variety involved – the flying fox, the tubing, etc – and the opportunity to see the glow worms was outstanding, I loved that. There were examples of fossils and the way the limestone has been worn through by the water – the textures and colours, that fascinated me.

Jed and Vee were great, they kept us topped up with food and hot drinks, and they knew how to work a crowd too – they were very friendly.

The tour ending was so freakishly good you’d think you’ve popped out in some Disney theme park (up through a natural tunnel, out through a hole surrounded by ferns into a perfectly formed pool made by a stream). Then it was back to base for a hot shower and complementary soup and bagels. Happy days. Everyone loved it, but I’m pretty sure I detected envy when the others found out I’d based myself at Waitomo so I could do more than just one tour (lots of people stop just for one tour while travelling through).

A few footnotes – safety procedures and training were extremely well observed by Vee and Jed, who checked and double checked our gear and there was never a time we were out of their sight. You don’t have to be a fitness fanatic to do this tour, but if you aren’t confident in your physical ability I’d suggest doing one of the easier options before trying the Black Abyss. The photography was much better on this trip (and cheaper than the other) but one thing I have to take points off for was that the wetsuits and booties have probably seen better days – my wetsuit was stretched which allowed water in and I had to keep moving to keep myself warm. I’ll know for next time to make sure that my wetsuit is a snug fit (especially around the wrists).

Visited February 2012
“Highlight of our NZ experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

After suiting up in our wet suits it was a very short trip to the opening.. Quick, thorough run through on the abseiling and then it's all GO!!
Adventure, thrills and scares all rolled into one. Great experience..