Waitomo Top 10 Holiday Park(Waitomo Caves)(Great Value!)
US$54
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
Abseil Breakfast Inn(Waitomo Caves)
Waitomo Farmstay(Waitomo Caves)
TripAdvisor
Glow Worm Motel(Waitomo Caves)
TripAdvisor
Caves Motor Inn(Waitomo Caves)
  • Restaurant
Hostelworld.com
Waitomo Caves Hotel(Waitomo Caves)
Kiwi Paka(Waitomo Caves)
  • Restaurant
All reviewshobbit housetrain carriagewingsone nightfarm animalscool placeunique experiencebilly blacknew zealandbelow deckbathroom downstairsmain officebunk bedsunique hotelfor salefun place to staythe lower level
Reviewed July 17, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 1 night whilst traveling around New Zealand, we booked prior as the place looked very unique and quirky. On check-in we drove around to find the owner to check in, we were told the room had a funny smell and the Windows had been opened; it did smell.
The room was clean, however needed an update on soft furnishings, overall a little overpriced. The electric bed blanket didn't work, but was too late to sort when we noticed.
No wifi, with an excuse of the trees were too high and "we're not going to cut the tress".

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma J
Reviewed July 12, 2017 via mobile

I was so looking forward to staying here. It was part of our trip that I was exited about...a night in a hobbit hole hotel, followed by a day in Hobbiton!

Unfortunately, the place was a dump. The entire property was unkempt, and run down. The pictures posted on line are from many years ago. The actual hobbit hotel, from the outside looks abandoned and uncared for. There were strung together old cds hanging from trees to keep birds away. There was a tub of something labeled "food" outside our door.

The inside was dated, but clean (this is the only reason I didn't rate this terrible). Please note that the only heat is electric floor units. The shower in the bathroom has no enclosure, it soaks the bathroom. Oh yes, NO INTERNET. They told us it was because the trees grew too big for the signal. LOL, I didn't know trees effected wifi.

I felt like I was staying at a campground rather than a hotel. Do yourself a favor and stay at the old hotel, you'll at least get a view.

I see that the proprietors often react poorly to negative reviews. Instead of complaining, maybe they should pay attention and do something to fix this place up.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rnessjr
kiwicommonsense, Manager at Woodlyn Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2017

I know that it has taken me a while to respond to this view, and I do understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I am just glad that you are a minority, our visitor books say the opposite to you.
Yes the photos on line are old, but they do show the trees when they were little, they do tend to grow and encourage the bird life that we enjoy so much in the park.
Maybe one day you will remember the CD's as an alternative to keep birds away from windows, because they do work.
When you come to a property like ours in winter, especially a winter as wet as ours, it can like many places look sad, but in the spring it looks glorious with the trees renewing their leaves and all the spring flowers.
I do apologise for the length of time it has taken me to respond to this review, we do actually take note of what is said, and if we can we fix things.
Did you by any chance take the time to complain at the office?

Reviewed July 8, 2017

Great novelty factor in the accomodation but seriously lacking any comforts made after 1990. WAY overpriced for what you get anywhere else in the area or around the North Island. I stayed here with 3 kids and the wife and it was great to have the experience of staying in a "Hobbit House". It was very wet while we stayed for our 2 nights and our caving tour and glow worm tours were cancelled. Trying to keep a 13, 11 and 2 year old entertained proved very hard work. The T.V was from 1982, had a remote that didn't work, was too high on the wall for the kids to reach to manually change the channel, no dvd player (or VHS, which wouldn't have been out of place). A 2 seater couch for a family of 5 or you sit on the bed and can't see the TV because of the angle it's on. No books or boardgames to borrow. No WiFi in the rooms. A bathroom (including toilet) that turns into one big wet area no matter how carefull anyone is in the shower. A hot plate that was useless to try and cook on, no microwave and pots and pans that are ready for St Vinnies.
We had a few gawkers come and look in our windows while we stayed, mabey that's we should've done, gawked and moved on.

Room Tip: Don't expect a private room. The Hobbit house has gawkers and the Plane and Boat are divided into multiple "motel" rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank ashan43
kiwicommonsense, Front Office Manager at Woodlyn Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2017

We are sorry you had such a miserable time in Waitomo. It is a shame that your trips were cancelled. But we hope you did get to look at some of our local spots in spite of the rain.
There were games and books available at the office if you had enquired, we dont leave them in units as they would be removed.
The TV is on a shelf high up so that they dont get broken, but the shelf is a swivel shelf, meaning it can face the 2 seater sofa which seats 3 with ease, and there is other seating there as well.
The Microwave is still in the unit, underneath the cook top, which is the same type as most of the Motels I have stayed in.
We do our best to discourage gawkers but unfortunately because the units are so unique it does happen.
Most people do enjoy our units and have leave positive comments.

Reviewed June 29, 2017

We stayed for one night in a hobbit hole motel unit in June which is the low season. No one was there in reception, but there was a number to call and we were told where the key was left. The room was spotlessly cleaned, there were supplies for coffee, tea, even drinking chocolate, as well as milk in the fridge (which was all we really needed). We were kept very warm with mattress pads at night, the shower was strong with a lot of hot water, and there were plenty of towels and toiletries. The room itself was very quaint and loved the pig and sheep grazing above our roof. The only reason I knocked it a star is it would have been nice to have someone there to show us the unit and things were a bit overgrown. That being said, I understand it is the slow season so I'm sure those wouldn't be an issue in the spring, summer and fall. The boat, plane and train units looked fun as well. It seemed like it would be even more fun to stay when there was more going on, but we were perfectly happy with our one night stay there.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank 6Irwins
kiwicommonsense, Front Office Manager at Woodlyn Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2017

We are glad you got to see the animals on top of the Hobbit, alot of people miss out on that.
Yes it is the quiet season, but there is always someone on call to help out with any issues, as many people have found out in the past.
We hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday.

Reviewed June 26, 2017

Stayed a nite here in the hobbit hole. It's an interesting experience. The staff is helpful n friendly. It's self contained though only a electrical hob is available but it's sufficient.

Room has heaters n thermal blankets. Bathroom has heater too. Very useful in cold weather. Location is near Waitomo town. Very quiet n intetesting experience indeed!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
kiwicommonsense, Front Office Manager at Woodlyn Park, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2017

Thankyou for taking the time to do a review, and yes we do need those heaters and electric blankets in Waitomo.
We are glad you had an interesting time.