“Friendly and really good food”
Review of The Crown Inn

The Crown Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Pantymwyn
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Crown is a 1930's property which has been tastefully fitted out. The bar area is well stocked with a great range of 5 draught lagers (including the hugely popular Wrexham Lager), 4 Real Ales, Draught Guinness and Strongbow Cider. The back bar is well stocked with spirits and bottled products. We have a range of quality house wines and a fantastic wine list. Our 2 ensuite bedrooms have been fitted out to a high standard. We pride ourselves on freshly produced food, a warm welcome for our customers, and honest dialogue with our customers about their dining experience. The high number of returning customers is testimony to our ethos. We look forward to welcoming you to The Crown Inn.
Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Weve been here four times and three only reason weve not made out regular local is the disabled access. Its so hard to get in and through the bar and restaurant etc. But thats the only reason a stars knocked off - we do love it there! The food is terrific with a really good menu and generous portions. We love the crackling sails so much that wgen we expressed disappointment the pork chop option wed loved before wasnt on that night, the chef prepared them specially for us! I thought that was wonderful - we werent even complaining, just saying how much wed enjoyed them. The pub endeavour to put on events for the community and seem to try really hard in this way. Its not a Chelsea kind of pub, so people publishing reviews with that disappointed expectation, get a grip! Its warm, friendly, with really great quality food and drink-that weve experienced and way above anything we'd expected. What more could you want from a hearty small village pub in Wales?!

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We are regular visitors here and always enjoy our meals. When it came to choosing a venue for my son's 18th birthday family meal, he didn't hesitate. We had a wonderful evening. The staff were so helpful, assisting me with the decorations, coming up with solutions for little challenges, and allowing me the freedom to do what I wanted to to make his evening special. When we arrived Rob even bought my boy his first pint! We were allowed to take our time opening presents and enjoying the occasion before our food orders were taken. We had a range of meals from my favourite curry and a pint, through BBQ pulled chicken burgers, to beautifully cooked steaks. Everybody enjoyed the lovely food judging by the empty plates! We were really well looked after all evening and my son loved it. Thank you for giving us special memories of such an important life event to add to the many other happy visits. See you soon!

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

Lovely food, full of flavour and hot when served to the table.

Quality food, large portions!

Local friendly pub with good service!

Rob E, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

Many thanks for your lovely review.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your visit so much.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 28 July 2017

Amazingly delicious food with an incredible selection that made choosing exceptionally difficult. Service was extremely prompt and very friendly and although the restaurant was busy just enough time was given between courses so that we weren't made to feel rushed nor forgotten. The chef even went the extra mile by happily meeting our request for extra gravy. There was a great atmosphere with regulars and new visitors being made to feel equally at home. All in all one of the best meals we've had in a long time. I can't wait to go back and sample the rest of the menu. Thank you.

1  Thank thomascook2017
Rob E, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

I was delighted to receive your glowing review of the Crown Inn.

We always work hard to ensure that customers enjoy the experience of dining here, and it is great to hear that you enjoyed your visit so much.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 26 July 2017

Some outstanding reviews of the Crown Inn prompted a special journey to sample the fare at this village pub, with the expectation that the experience would be a culinary delight.

My heart sank when a couple of colleagues and I pulled up outside the pub - distinctly shabby, with weeds growing out of the steps and outside tables in dire need of a coat of preservative. Admittedly, when eating out the food offering is obviously the most important factor, but this establishment cuts a pretty depressing picture (try googling 'The Crown Inn, Pentamwyn' and look for the worst image, which is a fair representation).

Food was edible and portions were generous. That was a plus. Presentation was pretty unimaginative (apart from what now seems to be the usual restaurateur's aversion to using normal plates) and service was slow on account of the fact that there were insufficient staff, with the same lady covering the bar, taking orders and waiting table. That was when she wasn't 'out front', puffing a way on a cigarette, which again didn't improve the pub's image.

We visited on a Monday evening, and undoubtedly it was popular with the locals, many of whom appeared to be known to the barmaid/ waitress and landlord. But on the evidence of this visit the reviews seem overly effusive. So, great expectations - but perhaps a greater work of fiction than even Dickens penned.

Rob E, Owner at The Crown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2017

I have read your literary contribution a number of times, and checked out your other writings on TripAdvisor, to better understand what I am dealing with here.

From a literary point of view, your contribution is a masterpiece (apart from spelling Pantymwyn incorrectly), but from an informative point of view it is very limited. You do however qualify fully as an accomplished keyboard warrior.

I will cut through the diatribe and focus on the few actual points you have made:

1. There are indeed 4 small weeds on the steps. My Groundsman has been on holiday, but I will log an emergency callout with him in response to your concerns.

2. As soon as the weather permits, the exterior woodwork will be redecorated.

3. Regarding the "depressing picture" you describe, you appear to have overlooked the complete internal redecoration which happened 4 weeks ago. It is so important to give the full story, so that readers get a true picture.

4. Customers who prefer their steaks served on plates, rather than boards are welcome to state this when ordering.

5. Over the 7 years that I have been here, I always plan my staffing based on trends. The Monday of your visit was unexpectedly busy. This is impossible to plan for, and I apologise for the waiting times you experienced. I did make a point of speaking with all customers on the night.

6. All customers, including yourselves, were checked on the night to ensure that everyone was happy. At no point did you indicate that you were not happy, which would have been the honest thing to do, if, as you describe, your experience had been so bad. I always prefer to be told at the time if something isn't right.

For you to dismiss 180 Excellent reviews and 31 Very Good reviews as "..works of fiction", you must be very important indeed.

Readers will see from the many positive reviews that we do work very hard at the Crown Inn to offer a top quality fresh food menu. I am sure that people will see through the writings you have offered, now that I have exercised my right of reply.

Regards