“Very popular, so book in advance”
Review of Simply Delicious

Simply Delicious
Ranked #3 of 34 Restaurants in Montagu
Price range: US$7 - US$12
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Please take note Templetons has closed down The new eatery at Four Oaks is called Simply Delicious It is open for lunch and dinnerIt is now run by Simon & Wendy Bernstein who's motto is IT'S ABOUT THE FOOD our aim is to deliver the best food at resonable pricesThe new restaurant serves light lunch and dinner which can be eaten indoors or outside in our wonderful courtyard which is shaded by two 100 year old safforn pear trees.light lunches with fresh organic produce, mouthwatering chicken pies, a double burger with a twist and delicious salads. A daily specials board reflects the season with gourmet soups in winter and cool meals in summer. We make a legendary baked lemon cheesecake, scones with jam and genuine Devonshire style clotted cream. Dinners is a fair of good old fashioned home cooking with a modern twist, generous portions that always arrive at the table beautifully presentedOur wine list reflects the best that the Robertson Wine Valley
Reviewed 16 December 2015

We stayed in Montagu on a Saturday evening and it was lucky that we'd book a few days in advance as the restaurant was fully booked by Saturday. Easily located on the R62, this family-run restaurant provides a varied menu for all tastes, meat, fish, vegetarian, and a dessert menu which was hard to choose from, so many tempting items. We had had this restaurant recommended to us and we weren't disappointed. Our choices included steak, schnitzel and seafood pasta. The steak was excellent quality. Wendy, you're a superb chef with a lovely sense of humor! The only uncomfortable moment was when we didn't order any wine; one of us was driving, one is a non-drinker, and the other fancied a beer at evening. We also learned that you can't take unfinished bottles of wine from the restaurant, so that swayed the decision. We just got the feeling that Simon was disapproving because of our drinks choices. Otherwise, this is a restaurant to be recommended highly.

Reviewed 12 December 2015

I write very few 'poor' reviews but my experience at this restaurant was not good at all.It was recommended to us by the owners of our accommodation, but it turned out they, too, were new to the town and didn't know it themselves..I get the feeling the place has changed hands.

It's a bit gloomy inside and smells faintly of stale cigarette smoke.On a Saturday night it was very empty - never a good sign.
Nice homemade bread but then the food quality of the dishes which followed just didn't hit the mark given its boast of offering the 'finest meal in the town' ( the restaurant owner's claim to me).We ate very well throughout our Africa trip but not here.
My fish had that sort of softish quality which comes from being overcooked or previously frozen.Sauce was tasteless.Hubby's steak, however, was good.

I hoped their homemade meringue would lift the evening, as I love a good dessert, but I was served a shop bought, brick hard offering with what looked like glitter all over it, A travesty of this super easy but gorgeous dessert - so quick and cheap to make.

When the waitress came to take our plates away and asked how it was( it was almost intact, which spoke volumes) , I thought I better just tell the truth and said that it didn't meet the description on the menu.
The chef then came out to explain, in quite a curt way, that it shouldn't have been on the menu at all and blamed the new waitress for serving it to me! No alternative offered, no discounting the cost of it from our meal.It was a bizarre 'not my fault so tough luck' attitude.

Maybe the place will improve but it spoiled our one night eating out in this nice little town.So many other choices, I just wished we'd made any one of them except here.

2  Thank Scotlandmac
Reviewed 1 December 2015

Food was ok. Service was good. I had ordered the steak and it was tough. We were a party of 7 adults and not one person was raving about the dish they had ordered.

simon b, Owner at Simply Delicious, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write a review
It is never nice to read a guest did not enjoy there time with us
Once again I dont understand both my wife and i table check every table that dines with us
At no time did you bring to our attention your unhappiness with your meal. We would have gladly redone the steak for you
It is very frustrating for owners who really do care and are passionate about there food and service levels to check on tables and be told everything is perfect
Only to read 2 weeks later on a social media site that a guest who had a very simple problem which could have easily being resolved on the night was in fact not happy with there meal

Like I said very frustrating I hope you will give us another chance when you in the area again

Reviewed 28 November 2015 via mobile

We were late with our booking, being a Friday evening and got the last table available, what still was a nice one!
Because it was quite far from our B&B, and the pavements not too good, I asked for a taxi back.
Was told by Simon that no taxis were available but he would see what he could do.

The dinner we were served was outstanding !

I can recommend anybody to taste the special ice cream!!

After not getting any response from our B&B, we were very surprised that our cook, Wendy, gave us a lift home.
This is what I call service!

Well done.

simon b, Owner at Simply Delicious, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2015

It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife
I pleased to see you really enjoyed your meal with us
It was no problem to run you up to your guest house after dinner
Please feel free to join us again

Reviewed 14 November 2015 via mobile

Excellent food in a nice atmosphere with good service.
Don't leave it without having the special dessert. Homemade Brandy / Chocolate ice. Yummy.

simon b, Owner at Simply Delicious, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2015

We pride ourselves on using locally souced fresh produce
We glad you enjoyed your meal with us and look forward to hosting you again