Avalon Springs
  • Restaurant
Loganda Karoo Lodge(Touwsrivier)
Karoo Art Hotel(Barrydale)
View Hotel
All reviewsmountain chalethot poolsprivate jacuzzihotel roomfront facingmid week breakunderfloor heatinggreat holidayhotel guestswarm waterputt puttself cateringschool holidayslate at nightfamily holidaybeautiful surroundingshome away from home
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I love the area, the resort and the hotel option.

I believe a holiday should be where you don't have to cook and clean and do all the things you already do at home so that's why I chose to return to Avalon Springs. Although my last review wasn't positive I know the place has potential so this time we didn't stay in the suite but just in a normal hotel room.

It was not very spacious but certainly far more modern that the suite. I was quite surprised at that though. One would expect a suite to be better.

We stayed in the back-facing hotel rooms which leads out to a deck and a jacuzzi which was lovely. Even though it was the middle of winter, the hotel was cosy and warm. I can't say the same for the water though. The pools (all of them) and the jacuzzi was definitely not very warm. Hot Springs - definitely not. More like lukewarm springs. If there was a reason for this, no one explained it to us. We didn't bother to ask either.

Our check-in and check-out was quick and the service was good.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank TheAbduls
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Service was wonderful from check in to check out. The mountain chalet was absolutely magnificent and their slogan, your home away from home is definitely correct. The chalet was equipped with everything that you could think of and the small extras they put in really makes you feel at home. Jumping into the hot springs late at night or in the early morning is the best ever! The children enjoyed every minute of our stay. In fact they are already asking to go back.

Room Tip: Discuss your requirements when making a booking and you will not be dissapointed!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Weekender084
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We came to Montagu for a couples weekend break and went to the "Hot" springs as day visitors - big mistake. Overpriced, dirty, at best Luke warm set of tiny swimming pools blotting what would otherwise be a beautiful landscape. The toilets were full to the brim... the Argus cycle day porterloos were better attended than these. There are no changing facilities and no lockers for your valuables (according to the staff this would not be necessary-'just watch your stuff from the pool!). As a day visitor you are not allowed entry to the front pool which the main water from the springs is pumped into therefore the pools that you can go in leave you with goosebumps rather than relaxed. If I were given a free trip to stay in this establishment I would still not go.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank lucejames
Reviewed 22 June 2011

We went to the front desk trying to get change. And they sent us somewhere else, this happened five more times before we got change. Nobody here cared anything about the guests and the staff were rude and didn't want to get up and help guests.
Later when we were looking for help at the front desk, a man yelled at me, "Hello I'm on the phone!!!!" The service at this place was appalling.
The hot springs were cheesy but fun for the kids. The room was very nice, and we would have liked this hotel if the service wasn't so awful.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank fourinourfamily4
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We went to warm up from the Capes cold winter. The shower water was warmer. Maybe it will work in the summer. For the winter I recommend Goudini or Citrusdal were the water is so warm you have to get out after a while.

The hotel, service etc. was all very good but we came for the hot springs which was only luke warm.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple