“Nice location, friendly staff, but lots of problems”
Review of Lone Pine Hotel

Lone Pine Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Batu Ferringhi
Taipei
“Nice location, friendly staff, but lots of problems”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Overall the place is very nice. Grounds are pretty nice, pool is great, including the kids pool. Food is pretty good, service is very friendly, but we had too many problems for me to be able to recommend this place, particularly with the prices they charge.

The biggest problem is the beach motor sports located just in front of the pool area is a constant source of noise and air pollution. Sitting by the pool reading a book, the paper etc., you just can't get away from the smell of gasoline and exhaust - I mean constant. It really puts a damper on what otherwise would be a great experience. You can barely hear the birds chirping over the outboard motors and jet skis. And the guys in charge of the motor sports come up to the hotel gate to try to sell you their services while you're trying to relax, not to mention when you actually cross the property line to try to enjoy the beach. For the few people who get to enjoy the jet skis and parasailing, everyone else has to suffer the noise and terrible air pollution. Total buzz kill.

The other big problem here is the cleaning service. Too many problems to mention. Not coming until 3pm, giving four bars of soap but no cotton swabs (despite repeated requests over days - we eventually went across the street and bought our own), etc. We also had plumbing problems (broken shower, sink drain, etc.) that took repeated requests to get repairs - again over the course of days. The sink was never fixed in the entire week we were there, and we're staying in the "newly remodeled" rooms.

Overall, I couldn't recommend this hotel when the Shangri-La next door is priced similarly but has no motor sports in front of their property and is likely better managed and maintained.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear Expat4Life,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

I am sure everything is well and the month of April is proceeding positively for you and your family.

First and foremost, thank you for your constructive comments on TripAdvisor.

I certainly appreciate your care, time and interest you have taken to highlight your deep dissatisfaction with regards to the below par service rendered by our Housekeeping associates and that the plumbing issue that was not attended to. Let me reassure you that I will personally look into all your points and take the necessary steps to reprimand and improve those shortcomings.

We acknowledged the present situation of the public beach in front of our hotel and the behaviour of the water sports operators. This is an on-going challenge faced by all beach hotels and the state government. There have been many meetings held between the authorities, beach hotels and water sports operators to find an amicable solution to solve this matter to the extent of the hotels adopting the beach. On our part, we are in constant communication with the local authorities, namely the Municipal Council of Penang, the Police, etc. to address our ongoing deep concerns, as well as increasing security patrols around our premises facing the beach front to keep illegal operators at bay.

My team and I understand your feelings and sentiments about the incident, however, we do feel concerned at our hotel being rated negatively owing to the inappropriate actions made by an external illegal operators that have no connection whatsoever with our hotel operations.

In spite of all that happened, I thank you for allowing us the opportunity to be of service to you and your family.

Once again, thank you very much for bringing this matter to our attention. Should you ever change your mind and give us another opportunity to be of service to you, our doors will always remain open to welcome all of you back. My team and I hope by then, that an amiable solution would be found and enforced by then.

Best wishes from all of us to you and your family.

MARCO G. BATTISTOTTI

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Malaysia
Reviewed 6 April 2012

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, the service at Lone Pine was excellent. Check-in was quick and the concierge was friendly. We were told that there would some renovation works going. They even gave each of us a cool towel to freshen up and tropical drinks. Then the bellboy took us to our room and showed us and a quick tour of our room. The room was comfortable with TV, DVD player and a long bath on our balcony.
The bellboy returned with four cans of soft drinks complimentary from the hotel. It was a pleasant surprise. Upon trying to get the DVD player to work, we realised that it was faulty. A quick call to housekeeping solved the problem when we were given a new player. Just then another housekeeping staff surprised us with a box of six small cupcakes compliments of the hotel.
The bed was seriously comfortable and the bathroom was huge. Bedroom slippers provided were definitely of better quality than most other hotels. We then went for a walk at the beach and then swimming in the pool.
We were also provided with a complimentary dinner at the Japanese restaurant and we enjoyed the food. The breakfast buffet spread was awesome and generous and delicious.
The best part of the stay was the attitude of the staff. They were friendly, knowledgeable, prompt and spoke English though not perfect but good enough. We did not hear much noise coming from the renovation site during our stay which was of course good for us.
We stayed only for one night but we will return again. Overall it was a great great great experience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
Dear ellycmc7,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

Thank you for your positive comments of our rooms, facilities and the hotel areas on TripAdvisor during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel.

It was really fantastic to have read your wonderful comments during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel and that have made it more satisfying for all of us to learn that we have managed to fulfil the expectations of another guest.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back at the property again soon, and trust that future visits will be just as enjoyable and more fulfilling.

Once again, thank you and wishing you and your family a successful 1st quarter of year 2012.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Being a regular visitor to Penang (at least once a year!), I've been to many hotels along Batu Ferringhi and the city centre. Having stayed at Lone Pine for the first time, I can confidently say that it beats the other hotels by far. Its price range may slightly be on the high side but in my opinion it is worth every penny. We stayed in a Super Deluxe room which is the second smallest room, but even so it is very spacious with a separate day room which we enjoyed lounging in when it was too hot outside. Every room regardless of size has its own 'mini lounging pool' (which is more like a bath tub, really) on the balcony. The giant bed was extremely comfortable!

Service provided by all staff members (receptionists, concierge, housekeepers, restaurant waiters etc) was excellent. Every one of them was so helpful and attentive to every detail.

The complimentary daily breakfast at The Bungalow was probably one of the highlights of our stay. On top of the full spread of Asian and Western dishes on the buffet table, we particularly enjoyed the custom-made Char Koay Teow and Mee Goreng by the chefs. Definitely Malaysian breakfast at its best!

Facilities are good - the pool is reasonably huge and clean, but can get crowded depending on the time of the day and number of guests. We mostly enjoyed just lounging on the recliners under the shade, taking in the sea breeze and listening to the sound of the waves.

Unfortunately Lone Pine does not have its own private beach since almost the entire stretch of beach on Batu Feringghi is public. So don't expect pristine white sands and crystal clear waters as there are always many people on the beach indulging in various water sports and sadly polluting the area!

All-in-all, I highly recommend Lone Pine for travellers to Penang who are not on a tight budget and who want to stay in Batu Ferringhi instead of the city centre. There are a lot of food and little shops outside the hotel, and it is accessible to the city especially if you have a car. Also if you're wondering what to do other than swim, lounge and eat, I suggest spending the morning after breakfast at the Tropical Spice Garden (about 2.5km up the road) for a leisurely (and educational!) walk with a very reasonable entrance fee.

Room Tip: Super deluxe rooms (corner rooms) have a separate air-conditioned lounging area.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rswizzle
Dear rswizzle,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

It was indeed a pleasure to have you as our guest during your visit to Penang and I trust you had a safe and pleasant trip back home.

Thank you for your positive comments of our staffs, our rooms, facilities and the hotel areas on TripAdvisor during your recent stay at the Lone Pine Hotel.

Once again, thank you and wishing you and your family a good week ahead.

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed here after the renovation had done. Everything's clean. There is a Bath tab on the Balcony of my room ! I enjoyed it with reading book. SPA didn't open yet when I visited. However I went to another Hotel and took massage.
So many Chinese tourist in there, I was an only Japanese when I was in this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Dear CHKRN,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

It certainly is a pleasure to receive from guests such as yourselves positive feedback for us to continue to meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.

It is rewarding to know that our efforts to provide exceptional experiences are appreciated.

Once again, thank you and wishing you and your family a good week ahead.

Serdang
Reviewed 2 April 2012

This hotel's greatest strength is also its greatest weakness. This hotel is undoubtedly trendy, clean, and beautiful. And it is because of these characteristics, this hotel is popular with weddings and parties. And with weddings and parties come loud, thumping music that would reverberate relentlessly into your room up even up to 1 am. Throw in a party deejay or two, and there is little mercy for you and your family but to grit your teeth until the party ends.

My family and I stayed at this hotel over the Christmas weekend, but I thought I was wise by doing some reconnaissance first. I wrote directly to Managing Director and asked about the events over the Christmas break. I also asked for the furthest room away from the "main staging area". The MD wrote back, saying there were no events planned during the Christmas break, and even then, it would classical music all the way.

So with confidence, I booked a room and paid in full. But during my family's whole stay there, it was nothing but thump-thump-thump-thump-thump music into our room at night. And no, they were certainly not playing Nora Jones or Halyey Westenra songs.

My family and I had the furthest room from the party, so I am pretty sure those who were staying nearer to the party would get a fuller blast of the party music.

Overall, I am disappointed by my stay here. The Christmas free cookies looked like leftovers from last year's Christmas. The breakfast buffet was the usual eggs, sausages, noodles, and ham affair. And throw in some yoghurt and fruits. Could the hotel be any more imaginative? For the price they charge, couldn't they do something outstanding?

My family and I only ate there twice before we gobbled up outside food. Penang, after all, is a food paradise island.

So my final advice: If you must stay in this hotel, I suggest you stay here only during the weekdays and a period free of any holidays. This is to minimize the chance tht there would be parties or weddings.

But if you decide to ignore my advice and to risk it, all I can say to you is, "God bless and good luck."

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank cbsteh
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear cbsteh,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your constructive comments on TripAdvisor.

I certainly appreciate your care, time and interest you have taken to highlight your deep dissatisfaction with regards to the level of music played during an event at the hotel. For any events held at the hotel, we do enforced a clause in our agreement that a 40 decibel limit on any music played is observed at the hotel and it is strictly toned down by 11:00pm. Also prior to any event we have always ensured that we placed our circulated letter in all our guestrooms to inform guests about any events / activities in the hotel that may cause some discontent during their stay.

While care had been taken to ensure minimal disruption and comfort of our in-house guests, we have taken note of your comments and have drawn out alternative measures for such future events / activities.

I do apologize for the inconveniences you encountered and hope that these unfortunate incidents will not deter you from visiting Penang and indeed our property again in the not too distant future.

Wishing you and your family a good positive week ahead.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Lovely spot but the hotel persists in staging outdoor weddings in front of the main block of rooms. Loud music up until 11pm - you can't even hear the TV. Not really acceptable for a luxury hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bob A
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear Bob A,

Sunshine Greetings from Malaysia’s Premier Boutique Beach Resort!

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.

I certainly appreciate your care, time and interest you have taken to highlight your deep dissatisfaction with regards to the level of noise from the music played at the wedding function which was held during your stay. We do advise all our wedding guests that we enforced a 40 decibel limit on any music played at the hotel and it has to be toned down by 11:00pm. Unfortunately they do get carried away at times but we have taken new measures to ensure that this does not repeat again.

Although we are unable to turn down future outdoor functions due to our business responsibility to keep our hotel financially viable, we have drawn out alternative measures to minimize its effect on our in-house guests for such future events.

I hope that this unfortunate incident will not deter you from visiting Penang and indeed our property again at some point in the future to serve you better.

Once again, I apologize for the whole inconveniences encountered and for failing to meet your expectations during your stay.

Wishing you and your family a good and positive week ahead.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Looking for a weekend getaway from the stresses of everyday life in Penang, we headed to the Lone Pine. It was our first, and really only, choice in Batu Ferringhi because for us, the other hotels are either astronomically priced for about the same amenities or sadly lacking in the feel of a boutique hotel. We weren't disappointed and here's why:
1. Booking by phone the day before our desired stay, we were told about the on-going construction and were offered a discount of about RM60 per night. The construction works would occur from 9-5, when we would be lounging by the pool, so no big deal for us. While there, we couldn't hear any construction noise; even the retiling of the kiddie pool was not a distraction...the jet skis out on the beach were more bothersome.
2. The 2nd-floor, deluxe room is beautifully designed and welcoming. The king bed is not too hard/not too soft, the bathroom was well-appointed and water didn't pool on the floor, the decor is soothing yet stylish, the compact storage unit between the bathroom and living space was ingenuously designed to house the closet, mini-fridge and safe while allowing doors to fold away and not be in the way.
3. The deck offered the perfect place for a quiet cup of tea in the morning, reading on the daybed, taking in the colors of the sunset, and forgetting the world in the sunken tub.
4. Lounging by the pool all day was heaven with a breeze rustling the casuarina trees, hourly checks by the staff to see if we wanted to order anything, and cooling dips in the tiled pool. Since we live in Penang, the beach at Batu Ferringhi holds no appeal (dirty water, trash, pebbly sand, loud watercraft and stray dogs), so we also like the wide lawn and shady area next to the pool with a few hammocks to wile away the day.
5. Check-in and check-out were fast and easy, breakfast was also plentiful with many eastern and western food options.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
MarcoGB, General Manager at Lone Pine Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
Dear Pearl-Travellers,

Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
#11 of 84 in George Town
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,445 reviews

Been to Lone Pine Hotel? Share your experiences!