All reviewsan oasiscosta ricatwo storythe main roadrooms were very cleannice balconyincluded breakfastrooms are amazingfirst flooryoga roomdefinitely stay here againsuper marketa great place to staysurf shopceiling fancleaned dailybeautiful place
Reviewed February 2, 2018

I highly recommend the otro lado lodge.
It's very nice, clean and quite and the food is delicious. Everybody was very nice, friendly and helpful. I was very satisfied with the surf and yoga package. The instructors were very prepared and professional

Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed January 28, 2018 via mobile

Beautiful zen oasis in Santa Theresa. Surfer town, fabulous beach, good food, and a hidden gem to escape to. Otro Lado is a beautifully crafted open air lodge. Nikko and Baggi have definitely created a jungle sanctuary. The road between the lodge and the beach is dirty and busy with scooters, cars, bicycles and surfers. All part of the charm. Sunset on the beach is a must.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2018

I just got done staying here solo for four days in a second floor balcony room #8, and I wish I could have stayed longer. The place is beautiful. The attention to detail from the fresh flowers in vases waiting in your room, the hot showers, the craftsmanship in the wood trim, the clean walls and ceilings, huge comfy beds, fresh linens, big soft pillows, cold air-conditioning, ceiling fans, safe, mini fridge, and of course the cute little pets always walking around. The grey cat and brown dog soon became my best friends. I also like how the doors and windows sealed completely shut, thus not letting in any unwanted critters at night. I can’t stand mosquitoes. The location is perfect, it is right in front of one of the main access points to the beach. There are plenty of great and cheap eating options with in two blocks. It is perfectly a little off-set from the main road. This is a huge blessing because the roads are loud from the trucks driving on dirt bumpy roads. Plus the number one surf school in Santa Teresa is next door.

But the best thing about this place is their customer service. The staff is so nice and accessible. The free included breakfast was the best I’ve had in Costa Rica. The crepes with ham and cheese were heavenly. Also the coffee was amazing. I think what you get for the price is more than anyone will be expecting, especially in Costa Rica. I will definitely come back next time I am surfing in Santa Teresa. Thank you so much Otro Lado. I really needed the pampering after two weeks of hard traveling through Costa Rica. It was just what the doctor ordered. Safe travels everyone!!

Room Tip: I would request a room on the second floor with balcony.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed January 12, 2018

Beautiful, clean and cozy property! Baggi and Nico (the owners) are top notch hosts!! They make you feel very welcomed and at home! Maria cooks delicious breakfast and lunch. My favorite after a long am surf is the linguini Bolognese. Missing the place already and can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Beel B
Reviewed January 8, 2018 via mobile

This was our second vacation to Santa Teresa and we stayed at Otro Lado both times. We have only good things to say about this place. Great owners and beautifully maintained grounds.

One of the other reviews described Otro Lado as an oasis in Santa Teresa — and that is exactly right. Santa Teresa can be busy and dusty, with lots of ATVs buzzing along and surfer kids everywhere. Although Otro Lado is right on the main street, you would never know it. Once you drive down the gravel entrance way to the main grounds, it is like a different world. Quiet, well-ordered and relaxing. The energy and buzz of Santa Teresa is definitely fun, but it is nice to be able to get away from it.

The owners — an Italian expat couple — are great hosts. Laid back, but on top of things. They’ve lived there for many years, so they are quite knowledgeable about the area.

The day starts with a breakfast in the common area - open air but covered from the sun. Breakfast is included in the price. Several options and all good. Great fresh fruit (as in all of Costa Rica). They also serve lunch, but we mostly lunched at one of the other local restaurants. Many options are walkable. (Our favorite was The Bakery, which is a 5 minute drive.)

It is also an easy walk from Otro Lado to Playa Santa Teresa. Across the main road that the hotel is on and about 200 feet down. Beautiful beach. Playa Hermosa is also a short drive and probably even prettier. But either beach has to be among the top beaches in the world.

Six years passed between our visits. The hotel looks as good as the first time we stayed. In fact, they expanded the parking lot to some extent and that was an improvement.

In sum, we recommend Otro Lado very highly. 5 stars!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family