I arrived at Don Jon's in early March planning on only spending a few days. Almost 3 weeks later I was still there and now that I'm home can't wait to go back. There are so many great things that make Don Jon's Hostel special.
First of all the food is amazing. They have really good breakfast burritos and their fish tacos were also a favorite of mine. I would also highly recommend getting a smoothie. I'm not a vegetarian but one of the hostel guests I stayed with was and accommodating their needs was no problem. Just be warned that the restaurant closes after ~3PM so not an option for evening dinners.
The hostel itself was an awesome place to stay at. It was a very good price ($16) considering all that was included. The hostel rooms are clean and beds are comfy. Most importantly for someone like me who takes awhile to adjust to the heat they have AC. It was also nice the hostel rooms have fridges so you can keep food around if you ever want to make something for yourself cheap and there is also a kitchen in the back available to all. I had a chance to look at some of the private rooms and they also looked really good too and are very reasonably priced. They had smaller private rooms perfect for couples and larger rooms for groups of friends travelling together so lots of different options. The tree house in the back is especially awesome and is a perfect spot for the yoga sessions they have arranged ($6 for +1hr session).
The hostel also had an incredible atmosphere. The hostel's motto "relax to the max" pretty much says it all. There is nothing better than surfing as much as you can and then relaxing in hammocks all day. There is also a really good party atmosphere during the evenings and Don Jon is very helpful in suggesting places to eat and party. He'll even often come out to show you around. That said he keeps things under control so that if you not interested in partying its still quiet and enjoyable for you to stay there too. In the hostel compound was the safest place I felt in all of Costa Rica, mostly in part to having the best security guard in Costa Rica. Thanks for not making fun of me all those nights I stumbled home drunk Jose!
I really can't say enough good things about this place. I've been all over North and South America and this is my favorite hostel I have ever stayed at. If you need any help booking any activity someone will be there to help you. There are also so many little extra things they did that make it such a great place to stay. Thank you so much Jon, Alejandro, Ruth and everybody who works there for making my stay so perfect. I can't wait to be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Don Jon*s has a variety of accomodations, great restaurante, and is conviniently located. Dorm rooms for backpackers, modern apartments with AC for groups, and rustic cabins with private rooms all made from teak wood and very one of a kind. A restaurante serving the freshest fish tacos, burritos, sandwiches and salads all ways, always. Only 100 meters walk to Santa Teresa beach with consistent surf year round and in the center of the village near markets, reataurantes, and soccer plaza. A family run establishment where the service is personalized and with gusto. See you soon! Pura Vida! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Don Jon's Lodge and Restaurante reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Don Jon`s Hostel And Restaurante Hotel Santa Teresa
- Don Jon's Lodge And Restaurante Costa Rica/Santa Teresa