“simplicity and spare beautiful design”

Hotel Tropico Latino
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Castalian Springs, Tennessee, United States
“simplicity and spare beautiful design”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Our room had driftwood and basket lamps and a bright quilt on the wall. NO alarm, phone, tv, desk, stationery etc! a huge covered porch with a hammock and adirondack chairs and table. nice bathroom with shower, a safe, a fridge w minibar and snacks. that's it. We didn't need anything else because there was this white graveled path to the pool and the beach in one direction, and town with stores and restaurants steps away. surfboard rentals-- yoga-- open air restaurant all tucked away in the most interesting flowered jungle...The stars at night, the hermit crabs, the benches, hammocks, chairs, lounges exactly where everyone gathers for sunset. we loved it and you will too... if you want to get away from it all... it is bare bones luxury!

Room Tip: we were closest to the street, yet still a minute to the pool and waves...#10
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer S
HotelTropicoLatino, Manager at Hotel Tropico Latino, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Thanks for your lovely comments. Our idea of a nice vacation for a guests is that they are able to rest a bit from the modern rush of life and can enjoy the peace and quite of small, cozy hotel in front of the beach. Still we do have wifi internet for them to stay in touch with the world an loved ones.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the stars at night and the wild life, that is one of the reasons I enjoy living in this area and working for this hotel. Its all a great experience.

I hope you can get to come back and enjoy many more sunsets! We would be happy to offer you a complementary cocktail to go along :)

Take care.
Roberto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Hebrew first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2012

To be honest, my wife and I ended up at TL after searching for the best rate after arriving in town. While the rate was great, the property is what made us decide to stay.

Each little bungalow is nestled among bushes and trees which makes it feel very private, save for the many iguanas that roam the property. While harmless, they sure make a 'thump' when they fall out of trees!

We found the food to be a bit pricey but the quality was good as was the service. Each morning we had breakfast before starting our busy day (on the Nicoya Pen. this means laying on the beach, eating burritos and wasting the afternoon away with a beer and a book).

On our last full day we woke up and did yoga with only one other person and the instructor. After which we ate breakfast then took advantage of the spa services with a massage. The massage was located right next to the beach in a little open-air hut and I can honestly say it was in my top 5 massages. Sort of a hybrid Thai massage that worked out a season of cycling crashes and soreness!

All in all, this is a must visit if you're unsure on where to stay. It felt private, was reasonably priced and felt very relaxing.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Sidney, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We booked way ahead to stay at this hotel. I did my usual research, reviews looked pretty good - and made sure that we booked a beachfront cabin unit. The hotel advertises two of them- # 7 and # 8. From their site plan I could tell that #8 was the only one that was truly beachfront, so confirmed with them by e-mail (got it in writing!) that we had #8.

Imagine our frustration when we arrived, and they handed us the key for #7. At first the staff person denied they had confirmed we had #8- but when I said I would pull up the email and show her, she changed her story to "the guy that told you that doesn't work here anymore". Not the right answer. She then searched our email exchanges herself and had to admit there was in fact a confirmation given to us. Turns out there was a wedding at the hotel and they had rented #8 and a bunch of other rooms to the wedding guests.

Long story short, we reluctantly stayed in #7- see photo of the "view"- this unit is close to the beach, but certainly not beachfront and with no view.

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, no complaints there. Pool is nice too. The coffee making situation in the rooms is a joke. They have these thimble sized styro cups- I've never seen anything so small- that are provided for you to drink your coffee from. Just really ridiculous.

Now- the restaurant. We had talked to the waiter (Jose) during the day and he raved about the food, the chef, on and on. We thought- we have to eat here. Big mistake. What an unfortunate menu. Of a total of about 9 dishes to choose from, I think 5 of them had eggplant included in some way. My husband hates eggplant! And it is expensive. The waiter is absolutely fabulous, so we decided to tough it out and stay. I have to say it was the worst, most expensive meal we had in Costa Rica. We felt so sorry for the waiter, he was trying so hard, but when the food is this bad, you know he won't be doing too well for tips. We basically ended up laughing ourselves silly because there was nothing else we could do.

The day we left, we had a very early shuttle, so (stupid us!) we thought- they can't ruin breakfast, let's eat here, rather than trying to find somewhere up the road that early. Well they did. Different waiter- a very surly fellow- and the prices! $11 for 2 eggs, about 1/2 cup of potatoes, 2 overcooked pieces of bacon and 1 1/2 pieces of toast.

There is competition in the area. There are WAY better restaurants in the area. They have to be able to do better than what they are offering.

We walked the beach and there are great alternate places to stay- and we will- we loved Santa Teresa, the beach and the sunsets are amazing. Just never at Tropico Latino again!

Room Tip: If you must stay here- and I wouldn't- if you are expecting beachfront, you may be disappointed!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I didn't actually stay here, but I feel I am allowed to write a review because I spent more time there than my hotel. I had a bad experience with my hotel, so I fell in live with Tropico. I walked in from the beach at it was so peaceful and beautiful. I immediately booked the Valentines Package special for me and my boyfriend. 155 for couples massage and dinner, you can't beat that The Spa attendant was so friendly and told us we could hang out there. And we did, everyday! We ordered drinks, sat by the pool, hung out in the hammocks and beachfront chairs. It is a great location with fantastic staff and atmosphere. If my hotel didn't let me cancel my reservation I would have stayed here in a hot second(and I probably will next time I visit.) The massage was fantastic and so relaxing located in an outdoor kind of hut on the ocean. The dinner was so fantastic and the best food I've had in a long time. Fish, wine, chocolate cake. I couldn't have been more happier (unless of course I was staying here) Plus it was across from Zula, the best Israeli food ever! You will have a good time here.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JuneBug83
HotelTropicoLatino, Manager at Hotel Tropico Latino, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Thanks for your review! Its so nice to hear that you fell in love our hotel. Are you planning to come anytime soon? Please let us know and we will make sure to give you a better deal on your second visit... !

Warm regards.
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Great place...nice service...feel like home in paradise... best sunset ever...amazing yoga center facing th ocean..room with nice kitchen facing the ocean and palmtrees...my wife my 3 kids n I had an amazing week even better than the first time in 2009...we will go back for sure.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank olivier1931
Thanks so much for your kind words, paradise is exactly how I would describe this area. I also love watching the sunsets here. Let us know if you diced to come back, we will take good care of you.

Warm regards.
Willemstad, null, Netherlands Antilles
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We booked a luxe studio on the beach....
By our arival there was no luxe studio available. We get only a small bedroom with bathroom in the luxe villa on the beach and have to share the villa and front porch with other guest's...( also problems with there bookings? ) no kitchen, no privicy. Some things where we ask for, we never get....No excuse...no sorry.... paid to manny for what we get.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cornelis853
Reviewed 26 January 2012

As I sit on the bed that smells like pee, we have had no room service for three days I wonder why we stayed here. Asked for a hammock three days ago, never got it. The shower is gross and goes from freezing to scolding hot, nearly burning my wife. Turned fan on and paint chips rained on us while we slept. Noisiest room I have ever stayed in and I travel all over the world. Breakfast was overpriced and burnt. Rude receptionist, but hey right on the beach.

• Stayed January 2012