“Beautiful accommodation, great location & sensational views!”

Villa Maria Damigou
Reviewed 7 June 2009

We stayed at Villa Maria Damigou for 3 nights.

We were in a triple room at the bottom of the villas but the room was clean, and had a little kitchen and the view was spectacular! We had a little patio outside our front door with sun lounges to sit back on and enjoy the view, it was like being in a postcard!

The staff at the villa were very welcoming, friendly and helpful. Their enlish was limited but definitely good enough to get by.

The villas are located about a 5-10 minute walk outside of the main town of Thira, but there are also quite a few nice hotels near the villas. There is also a small supermarket not far down the road if you want to get any breakfast supplies etc.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Santorini. The rooms and staff were great and the views that you get for the very affordable price are breathtaking!

Oh and for transport to/from the hotel.... we got a taxi from the port to the hotel for 20 euros between 3 of us. We had hired a car from Alami (think that's the car co name), which is on the main road from the villas to the main town. If you hire a car from them and drop it off the day you leave from the airport, they include a free airport transfer for you (we paid 39 euros for 1 day auto car hire and full insurance).

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 September 2008

I spent hours agonising over where to stay in Santorini. I was trying to ensure we had the best views, at the best price and thank goodness we did. Maria welcomed us and showed us to our room upon arrival. Our room was excellent (I think it was room 7). It appears to have just recently been renovated, with all new decor and a new bathroom. And the view was amazzzzzinnngggg. No power lines obstructing our view and the view was so good, we didn't even need to go onto our balcony to get the same view. Breakfast was brought to our room every morning at a nominated time. It was basic but I didn't mind. Villa Maria was a little out of Fira but it wasn't so bad - I would say a solid 15 minute walk - up hill on the way back.

Overall the view is what we wanted and what we paid for. If this is why you are in Santorini - this hotel is for you.

If you can however, get a really good view at a hotel with a pool, I would recommend this as the swimming in Santorini is very limited and a lot of effort to get too. Also, I found three nights to be ample in Santorini.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ilovefeta
Reviewed 22 August 2008

I stayed there for 5 days and it was really great..Maria was even bringing breakfast to us with no extra charges, which in the middle of the summer period is quite rare in Greece!

In general, it is a nice place that offers quality in good price..

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2008

I stayed at Villa Maria Damigou for 6 nights in late May. I arrived by a small bus that took me almost right up to the door. I was greeted by this lovely lady who got me quickly to my room. She also came back a few minutes later with some fresh squeezed orange juice.

I was in room number 3. It is on the top floor towards the caldera. I am sure I had the best view. At least on the top floor anyway. I took a peak in to the other rooms on my level, and the view from my room was not blocked by anything as the other two were. It also had a set of stairs up to the rooftop, where I was able to take some great photos.

I absolutely loved my room. It was spottless. I had my own balcony with a tanning area and two lounge chairs. It also had a table and chairs where I could sit and watch the sunset, or eat my breakfast. The room had a cute little kitchen and a TV. It also had a safe. The room was cleaned very well each day. The floors were washed, the bathroom washed, all garbage cans emptied and even my dishes were cleaned for me.

The only thing I found hard to deal with was the shower. But, I had this problem with most showers in Greece. I got the floor wet every time. There was no avoiding it. There was nothing wrong with the shower itself, it was just me.

It was only a short walk in to town. About 10 to 15 minutes. It was one minute away from a little grocery store, and a small deli/ bakery as well as the bus stop that would get you to any of the other villages.

This hotel was so gorgeous, and the people were so lovely. I cant stress how much I loved this place. It was perfect for me. It was very reasonably priced, I felt I got much more then I paid for. I will definately be staying here again when I return to Santorini.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank Prime-image
Reviewed 20 September 2007

Maria and her villa are both charming. We enjoyed the location in Firostefani and the view from our private balcony was spectacular. The room was perfect for us having a nice little kitchenette and was decorated with homey little touches too.It was spotless and maintained so every day with fresh towels and linens and was tidied up as well. For the money I dont think you could find better. My boyfriend and I both agree this was a great choice. JP

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TripMember050120171
Reviewed 27 August 2007

We stayed here for five days and we absolutely loved this little hotel. We had a fantastic view; the room was clean; and everyone was really nice but laidback. The view is absolutely worth it if you can get a room with a view.

The breakfast was basic and nice to have for the first couple of days (breakfast on the balcony with a view of the caldera and the sea - amazing, amazing, amazing). Our room had it's own shower which was ludicrously tiny, but that was probably the only problematic item. We had no problem with security or missing items.

Our friends stayed at another hotel that was twice as much money and it seemed like our view and room were pretty much equal.

One thing to remember - make sure you get dropped off at the correct hotel. Our taxi driver dropped us off at the wrong hotel - he dropped us off at the Villa Maria instead of Villa Maria Damigou. It was hard getting directions even though VM Damigou is actually up about 50 metres and to the left. Go through the square with the church and then walk up that "alley" kind of street along the cliff.

Our group went to the little crepe shop just down the alley for drinks, coffee and dessert every night. These guys were great and gave us tons of free drinks, etc. They seem to just socialize and party day and night.

Santorini was really beautiful and if you want a clean, basic hotel with a great view, and a good location, I would definitely recommend Villa Maria Damigou.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
4  Thank extraextra
Reviewed 23 August 2007

We went to Greece – Athens, Naxos, Santorini - (from May 11th to May 28th). When we arrived in Santorini we had no accommodations booked. After going through the port rush, and dismissing the rather biased travel information shops, we made our way by bus to Firostefani in hopes of finding a place on our own...I was a little worried but I am glad we waited because we found Maria Damigou's wonderful villa! I recognized the name from seeing it a few times on tripadvisor. I don’t know how anyone could give this place a bad review (and for the previous review, I’d say it’s a shame to accuse the staff without any concrete proof…but that’s just my opinion) Maria is the sweetest little lady - she took us to our room and insisted on carrying my suitcase for me. She let us settle in for a few minutes and came back with two glasses of orange juice. The view of the caldera from our balcony was absolutely breathtaking! I think we might have had the best room in the place, and for only 80E including breakfast, we couldn't ask for more. The balcony was shared with the room next to us but we didn’t mind as it is very spacious and private (includes two tables, four chairs and two lounge chairs) and we loved our German neighbours :) The room also had a/c, a small fridge, a cooking surface and all necessary glassware, dishes, pots & pans and cutlery. The room was very clean and was cleaned every single day along with a daily provision of fresh towels. The hotel is not too far in Firostefani so it is a very easy walk to Fira, to Imerovigli and to the bus stop. There are restaurants, stores, mini-marts, etc. all a few steps away. On our last day we had a late evening flight and Maria graciously kept our luggage for us until our departure.
The only tiny glitches I would point out would be, as mentionned by other travellers, the shower which is very ackward (little ceramic square border, no walls, no curtains, a little plastic stool to sit on and a shower head with nothing to hang it on while showering) - makes for a very wet bathroom when you're done, lol, and the included breakfast was a little basic (instant coffee, orange juice, white bread, jam and cake) but we heard from our neighbours that you could pay 10E less a night if you didnt want the breakfast - we still enjoyed it though as it was served to us on our balcony every morning :)
So all in all, Villa Maria Damigou is a wonderful little place, in a great location, for a great price, with a great host and with a spectacular view! We would definitely stay there again and recommend it to anyone!!!

Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank shmoukins
Also consider these accommodations in or near Firostefani
0 km away
0 km away
Dana Villas Hotel & Suites
Dana Villas Hotel & Suites
#6 of 21 in Firostefani

Been to Villa Maria Damigou? Share your experiences!