“Incredible View, Comfortable accomodation - Highly recommend”

Villa Maria Damigou
Sydney, Australia
“Incredible View, Comfortable accomodation - Highly recommend”
Reviewed 15 September 2009

We were lucky to be one of the first guests to take advantage of the newly renovated rooms. The updated rooms are very nice with new bathroom, kitchenette, fresh paint and new furniture. The views from the balcony are stunning. Excellent value.

Our only criticism was that there was not a pool, which after a hot Santorini day a quick dip would have been greatly appreciated. (NB: Rooms are air conditioned though).

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 25 August 2009

The key to a great hotel in Santorini is the view and we got it here. A beautiful panoramic view of the whole harbor from up top of the caldera. We were very happy with the view. Breakfast on our own balcony came with the room which was quite nice. We walked both ways from hotel along the top of the caldera and had great walks both ways. It's not far from the main set of restaurants and shops and there are plenty of other things to see along the way. One of the best walks in history.

Only negative is the small shower with no curtain which means wet floors all the time.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2009

We stayed at Villa Maria Damigou for 3 nights.

We were in a triple room at the bottom of the villas but the room was clean, and had a little kitchen and the view was spectacular! We had a little patio outside our front door with sun lounges to sit back on and enjoy the view, it was like being in a postcard!

The staff at the villa were very welcoming, friendly and helpful. Their enlish was limited but definitely good enough to get by.

The villas are located about a 5-10 minute walk outside of the main town of Thira, but there are also quite a few nice hotels near the villas. There is also a small supermarket not far down the road if you want to get any breakfast supplies etc.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Santorini. The rooms and staff were great and the views that you get for the very affordable price are breathtaking!

Oh and for transport to/from the hotel.... we got a taxi from the port to the hotel for 20 euros between 3 of us. We had hired a car from Alami (think that's the car co name), which is on the main road from the villas to the main town. If you hire a car from them and drop it off the day you leave from the airport, they include a free airport transfer for you (we paid 39 euros for 1 day auto car hire and full insurance).

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Australia
Reviewed 21 September 2008

I spent hours agonising over where to stay in Santorini. I was trying to ensure we had the best views, at the best price and thank goodness we did. Maria welcomed us and showed us to our room upon arrival. Our room was excellent (I think it was room 7). It appears to have just recently been renovated, with all new decor and a new bathroom. And the view was amazzzzzinnngggg. No power lines obstructing our view and the view was so good, we didn't even need to go onto our balcony to get the same view. Breakfast was brought to our room every morning at a nominated time. It was basic but I didn't mind. Villa Maria was a little out of Fira but it wasn't so bad - I would say a solid 15 minute walk - up hill on the way back.

Overall the view is what we wanted and what we paid for. If this is why you are in Santorini - this hotel is for you.

If you can however, get a really good view at a hotel with a pool, I would recommend this as the swimming in Santorini is very limited and a lot of effort to get too. Also, I found three nights to be ample in Santorini.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ilovefeta
Brussels
Reviewed 22 August 2008

I stayed there for 5 days and it was really great..Maria was even bringing breakfast to us with no extra charges, which in the middle of the summer period is quite rare in Greece!

In general, it is a nice place that offers quality in good price..

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2008

I stayed at Villa Maria Damigou for 6 nights in late May. I arrived by a small bus that took me almost right up to the door. I was greeted by this lovely lady who got me quickly to my room. She also came back a few minutes later with some fresh squeezed orange juice.

I was in room number 3. It is on the top floor towards the caldera. I am sure I had the best view. At least on the top floor anyway. I took a peak in to the other rooms on my level, and the view from my room was not blocked by anything as the other two were. It also had a set of stairs up to the rooftop, where I was able to take some great photos.

I absolutely loved my room. It was spottless. I had my own balcony with a tanning area and two lounge chairs. It also had a table and chairs where I could sit and watch the sunset, or eat my breakfast. The room had a cute little kitchen and a TV. It also had a safe. The room was cleaned very well each day. The floors were washed, the bathroom washed, all garbage cans emptied and even my dishes were cleaned for me.

The only thing I found hard to deal with was the shower. But, I had this problem with most showers in Greece. I got the floor wet every time. There was no avoiding it. There was nothing wrong with the shower itself, it was just me.

It was only a short walk in to town. About 10 to 15 minutes. It was one minute away from a little grocery store, and a small deli/ bakery as well as the bus stop that would get you to any of the other villages.

This hotel was so gorgeous, and the people were so lovely. I cant stress how much I loved this place. It was perfect for me. It was very reasonably priced, I felt I got much more then I paid for. I will definately be staying here again when I return to Santorini.

• Liked — The view from my room was amazing!!
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Prime-image
beverly hills
Reviewed 20 September 2007

Maria and her villa are both charming. We enjoyed the location in Firostefani and the view from our private balcony was spectacular. The room was perfect for us having a nice little kitchenette and was decorated with homey little touches too.It was spotless and maintained so every day with fresh towels and linens and was tidied up as well. For the money I dont think you could find better. My boyfriend and I both agree this was a great choice. JP

• Liked — the view, kitchenette, quiet
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TripMember050120171
Also consider these accommodations in or near Firostefani
0.0 km away
0.2 km away
Manos Small World
Manos Small World
#8 of 21 in Firostefani

Been to Villa Maria Damigou? Share your experiences!