All reviews tuscan countryside wonderful view three nights archer faulty views corridor roads village
Reviewed May 16, 2017

I'm sure in it's day this was an amazing hotel but sadly it has seen better days. The indoor pool had what I assume was once a waterfall but this is now a dangerous looking, crumbling concrete ledge, loose floor tiles and badly stained chairs around the pool. The grounds were immaculately kept and the outdoor pool looked lovely , although we didn't use it as it was a bit chilly as the sun was going down when we arrived. The rooms, bathrooms, bar and restaurant were a little dated but very clean.
On the plus side the reception manager was delightful. We were given a free upgrade on arrival and offered a choice of rooms. We chose one on the ground floor which was huge and had a spectacular view from the terrace. We were also given a recommendation for a great local restaurant for dinner.
I would recommend if you want an inexpensive hotel but probably best to avoid the indoor pool.

Room tip: Ground floor, front facing.
Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2016

We stayed here 4 nights on our Archers Italian Showcase Tour and what should be a good well managed hotel turned into a major disappointment. On arrival we were given our room key but on entering the room the smell of stale cigarette smoke was overpowering and we immediately returned to Reception where we informed our Tour Director and were given a new room. The new room was what we expected and it opened on to a nice patio with table and chairs with views down the valley that has to be seen. The service at the bar is slow and at times frustrating with only one barperson on duty. Breakfast was good but dinner on the nights we ate there was insulting, there were 33 of us on the tour and steak was served on one night but no one was given a choice of how they would like there’s cooked and the blood was clearly visible on most plates, however mine was a lump of fat and gristle and completely inedible. I called over the waitress who returned to the kitchen and the chef appeared a few minutes later and looked over towards me and immediately returned to the kitchen. No apology or replacement and by then our Tour Director had left the restaurant so I informed her the next morning. Another meal consisted of a serving plate of tinned meat with a bowl of garden peas; that was it.

This hotel is in a beautiful location and it should be better managed and resourced. Would I return in the future, not unless major improvements are made.

Date of stay: September 2016
Reviewed August 30, 2016

Spent a couple of nights here as part of a tour, lovely big bedrooms, terrific views from the swimming pool and terrace, very friendly and helpful staff.
The only draw backs for this hotel is the isolation if you don't have transport and the evening meals.
The breakfast is fine but the evening meals are very poor, not sure if it was due to the budget from the tour company or that is the standard for this hotel. If it is they need to do a big improvement in this area.

Date of stay: August 2016
1  Thank Negal2014
Reviewed July 29, 2016

I think this hotel is such good value for money. We like that it is a bit like Faulty Towers - really good fun and feels local and has Italians vacationing there as well which I see as a compliment. A sense of humor and service for whatever you ask - literally when all the other guests are off out of the hotel, they made lunch for just my husband and I! And there is no grumbling!! It is relaxing and when we tire of the gorgeous sunshine there is a nice cool hotel room (without mosquitoes!) waiting for us.

They really work as a team. It isn't just talk. It is a large property and everyone is so very helpful with even one of the owners giving it a go with ironing a miserable dress as Italy has a rule that they cannot loan you an iron for the hotel room.

There are 'higher star' hotels in the area and my husband and I have been to them for lunch and dinner but none appeal to us to stay as much as relaxing at the Hotel Aquaviva.

Not to be forgotten are the views. We look out over the valley everyday at breakfast and then chose between the indoor or the outdoor pool both immaculately maintained.

Then for dinner you can eat in - they are still working on improving their kitchen and so see how it is when you go as it is hard for them to compete with the excellent Italian food in Merlo or Casole. Just 2 minutes down the road is El Merlo (fantastic and family run) or up to Casole in 10 minutes for a lovely choice of indoor and outdoor excellent dining at reasonable prices.

I would recommend the Aquaviva to any person wanting a relaxed venue, comfortable clean rooms with helpful staff and always a smile and a can do attitude. Excellent value!

Room tip: ask for one facing the valley
Date of stay: July 2016
Reviewed July 28, 2016

This nice little hotel lies in the heart of Tuscana. The rooms are spacious, you have a wonderful view on the countryside from the balcons. Problem: no air-conditioning in May. Two swimming pools: one inside the hotel, that's why the ground floor is a bit too damp, the other one lies outside with a great view from the water to the hills of Tuscana. Good restaurant. Cheesy receptionist. Good price in May.

Room tip: End of corridors are more silent
Date of stay: May 2016