“Simply Can't Understand Terrible Reviews!”

Gold Coast Golf Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dungarvan
Ireland
“Simply Can't Understand Terrible Reviews!”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This Hotel deserves better reviews. Judging on the fact that most poor reviews on this hotel have 1 or 2 contributions to Trip Advisor, I'm guessing they simply have not experienced many other Hotels in similar markets or simply could not of been satisfied regardless of quality of stay.

Booked this Hotel for a 2 night New Years break. Decision was based on price. Excellent rate of Dbl Room (room only) at only €115 for both nights. And many previous experiences in the same hotel.

CHECK IN:
I was already aware that this is a non smoking hotel. (Not required by law so obviously a direction the property decided to take for itself, and even as a smoker I applaud that)

Nevertheless, I requested a room near the main entrance to facilitate a quick fix for my nasty addiction.

When the General Manager/Proprietor heard this request she came to the reception and directed the pleasant receptionist to give me room 120, a family room with a balcony. I found this to be way beyond her call of duty and was delighted with the same. Especially considering our extremely competitive rate.

THE ROOM
Upon entering the room, we were delighted to discover 3 beds (we only needed one), a separate sitting area which was well appointed with 2 sofa's, 2 armchairs and a coffee table. The room was very well decorated and immaculate. Very clean. The bathroom was also spotless. 8 good channels on TV and a working remote- a rare occurence in 3* hotels.

I have stayed in every single hotel in this town on numerous occassions and would class the room as good as the towns only 4 star, arguably better.

Only suggestions I could make is lose the dated artwork in the rooms-personal pet hate, and change out the heating systems which are slightly loud. But you can turn them off if you wish.

BAR, LOBBY ETC
All the general areas within the hotel were also immaculate and well appointed. We stayed in and rang in New Years Eve in the bar. The staff were all extremely pleasant especially the guy and gal working in the bar who were in their mid twenties and could of been excused for being p****d off working on New Years. They werent though, they were all smiles all night. The people giving the negative reviews need to realise that in hotels this size the staff work long long hours and at times are entitled not to be constant bundles of joy. We found them to be polite and helpful at all times though.
There was live music laid on and despite not being my cup of tea at all, it was lively and enjoyed by the busy crowd in what was a great atmosphere. We didnt get into the bar until 8pm and the food was finished since 7:30 (also understandable on the night in question). We asked if we could have a chineese delivered to the hotel for consumption in our room and this was not a problem and we were offered plates, cuttlery, napkins at reception.

If I could make one suggestion for improvement on next years seasonal nights such as this, it would be for some small bits of canapes/sandwiches etc at some stage late in the evening. And also, a glass of cheap bubbles or plonk at the stroke of midnight would of been a nice touch.

The next morning, I arrived a lazy late for breakfast at 10:40am. The restaurant was empty but I had no problem knocking on the kitchen door to chance my arm. I was greeted by a waitress who I had seen just leaving work in the early hours that morning. She was back in for the breakfast shift. And, when I asked what the chances of just a slice of toast were, she insisted it wasnt a problem to get a full Irish on the hob for me and led me to a table. It arrived in due course and was very tasty. Kudo's to her for the hard work.

We had lunch later that day. Beef from the carvery, and a cooked to order Brie, side salad and chips. Not reheated like earlier suggested by another reviewer. Having ate in this hotel at least 50 times throughout my life, I refuse to believe anybody got sub standard food. However, I did feel the price was a small bit of the mark.

For the average room rate, the views, the peace and quiet, the friendly staff and the quality of the property, I would have no problem recommending this to family, friends, or tourists alike. Like me, I would suggest anybody reading reviews on here should do so with a grain of salt most of the time. Some of the reviews of this hotel can only of been written by people with minimal experience of 3* hotels throughout Europe and beyond. If this hotel was in mainland Europe it would for sure achieve a 4* rating. I'd suggest reading a few other reviews from negative reviewers and ensure they're not just impossible to satisfy.

My only serious negative (and really is a pet hate for me-drives me flaming mad) is that the hotel wireless connection did not reach our room. And, upon checking with reception I could clearly tell the poor gent behind the counter had no hope of rectifying it. As a result, I didnt complain or escalate a complaint which prob wouldnt annoy most others as much as me. Would seriously recommend spending a few quid to sort this out though!! Couple of signal boosters lobbed around the place would be cheap.

Relaxing, enjoying stay, will return again.

Hope any readers find this helpful.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Gilquest

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Wicklow
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Myself, husband and friends stayed in the Houses in this golf resort, we also had two children with us. Have to say it was a very good idea, the four bedroom houses had lots of room and I certainly would recommend them for a family holiday. Four spacious bedrooms one ensuite 2 barhrooms, 2 lounges one with kitchen. The only thing we had to bring, Tea towels and towels. Golf for the men playground for the kids and good walks for the walkers. Food in hotel was great, would recommend this for summer holidays, value for money and lets hope the price does not rocket in summer. That is the one reason I hate to holiday in Ireland, the price of hotels in Summer time.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank thirzawicklow
Dublin
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We stayed in the apartments (family of 3) in Aug 2011, we found them to be comfortable and very spacious. The facilities were fine, agree that the decor in the hotel could do with updating, the reception was very dull but overall the apartments were clean and the staff were friendly. The food in the hotel bar was slightly overpriced for what it was but we did have a nice meal in the restaurant. We had no problems with the playground or swimming pool, both fine for us.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Tredegar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2011

I stayed here in the hotel as part of agroup of 13 from 4 differnet countries. The rooms were clean and spacious, the beds comfy and linen crispand white. I ate in the dining room and bar and both were fine. Breakfasts were plentiful and with lots of variety - just ask and if they had it, you could have it. However it was the helpfulness of the staff that stood out, they were friendly nothing was too much trouble, and they bent over backwards to make sure everything was fine. I noted lots of families staying in thebungalows.They seemed to be having a whale of a time.The only disapointment was that the pool did not not open until9.00 am so no chance of a swim before breakfast. I dare say If I had asked , this too would have been sorted.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank AlysonMike
Ireland
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Stayed here purely because of the golf course attached to it. I stayed here when i was younger and remember loving it. I can't say the same about this stay. Not everything was bad. I can't compliment the man at the golf course enough, he was so nice and helpful. Reception were nice too. I wasn't even going to bother leaving a comment but the more I think about the certain things that annoyed me the more i feel the need to say it here. First of all I'm not one to complain or make a fuss but I'm beginning to think that i should have said something. First of all we had booked dinner for one of the night's we were staying. On arriving down we had another couple behind us so we were first. The girl never even asked if we had booked and began to lead us down only to stop and ask the other couple if they had to which they replied no and then yes which indicated to me that they hadn't as they still had their gym bag and were fresh from the pool. (We were dressed up). She then left us standing there in the middle of the room while she brought them down to a table. That was the first thing that annoyed me. I don't know whether it was because we are young or what but she could have at least asked had we booked. The treatment they then received compared to us was quite alot more. They got their drinks straight away where as we waited quite a while. I might also point out it wasn't busy at all. Our bread which we were given had cream and some sort of red stuff on it which i could only assume was being re-used. We just left it to one side. The food after that was nothing special. We weren't checked on even once where as the other table was several times. Little things like that make all the difference. Breakfast the next morning wasn't great either. We were seen by an older lady who began to ask what we wanted before my partner even had a chance to sit down so i had to call him across the dining room to ask him what he wanted. Cereals weren't refilled so it wasn't possible for us to get a bowl each of what we wanted. A tiny amount of milk was given so I had to get up and take some off another table. The wi-fi in the room didn't work evenafter we asked for the code. Ash-tray on balcony full of cigarette buts which is disgusting for non-smokers. Beds were comfortable so we had a good night's sleep. I suppose it's my own fault for not saying anything at the time but I just need to get it off my chest. I probably would stay again because of the friendly golf course staff and we loved the golf course but I would avoid dinner there and go elsewhere. I think management need to train restaurant staff to deal better with customers but other than that it was an OK stay. Loved the spa and pool!

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IrishMaiden2010
Ennis, Ireland
Reviewed 3 March 2011

I stayed at one of the Gold Coast cottages, We had booked 3 together for a family holiday. The house itself was outdated and uncared for. I ate in the bar the first evening and would never repeat the experience as we were served reheats. The kids "playground" was dangerous and I felt it was completely overpriced. It was such a shame because the area is beautiful and there are quite a lot of activities in the surrounding areas. Never again

Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank breda65
Sligo Ireland
Reviewed 22 August 2010

we stayed in the gold coast cottages these were very clean and comfortable and surprisinly spacious these are far from luxurious but are perfect for families, 3 good sized bedrooms a kitchenette, sitting room with tv. There is a kids play area directly in front of the cottages and the hole place feels very safe, the pool in the hotel is perfect with a jacuzzi and kiddie pool and the hotel puts on daily acvities during the summer season, when we were there we did the family table quiz, aqua aerobics and the pool camel is not to be missed.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank clash007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dungarvan
3.5 km away
Waterford Marina Hotel
#3 of 12 in Waterford
39.4 km away
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort

Been to Gold Coast Golf Resort? Share your experiences!