“Great food but could have done with more ...”
Review of Mamma Mia

Mamma Mia
Ranked #2 of 142 Restaurants in Rochester
Price range: US$12 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Italian restaurant with Mediterranean Italian food seefood Meat pasta and pizza lovely dessert ice cream and coffee Come and enjoy at MammaMiaRochester Ciao
Reviewed December 12, 2017

The high percentage of "excellents" on Tripadvisor speaks for itself. While we were there at least a dozen people came in trying to get a table but were turned away because the restaurant was fully booked. However, I have somewhat mixed feelings about Mamma Mia, which is at the River Medway end of Rochester's Dickensian High Street. . The service was extremely good, as was the quality of the food, and the two young waiters- one female, one male - were excellent. There were four of us, and for a starter we ordered two portions of bruschetta at £4.50 per portion, so not exactly cheap. Each couple got got three thumb-sized pieces to share, which meant cutting the the third one in half - a mouthful each ! Thought this was a bit mean. Why not four pieces to create a better impression? We could have ordered four portions but £18 for 12 small pieces of ciabatta would have been over-the-top. For a main I ordered one of the specials, ragu de mare - pasta with about half a dozen mussels in a sauce. This was £14.95, which I thought was over-priced and the portion was not exactly large, though delicious. The three other people in our party were satisfied, which makes me sound like a whinger. I'm not but I do like to feel I have had value for money. I eat out in restaurants a fair bit and I left Mamma Mia feeling slightly short-changed, despite the obvious good quality of the food and the attentive service. All I can do is to quote Oliver Twist: "Please sir, can I have some more?"

1  Thank DavidWJ006

Reviewed December 12, 2017

Managed to get a table on a busy Saturday night and was welcomed warmly by a wonderful waiter who attended our needs all evening. The place itself was warm and friendly just like mumma's :)The service was second to none with the waiter helping us to choose a selection of starters as we didn't want a main course. He recommended a wonderful one to accompany the meal. The food was lovely especially the scallops on a pea puree...bellissimo. We promised to return for a main next time and also to book as its an understandably popular place to dine.

Reviewed December 10, 2017 via mobile

Mixed reviews here and our visit whilst enjoyable due to the staff being really fun and attentive, making the evening a nice experience the food was disappointing, a bit bland and lacking, great shame as had it been better I’d be recommending it and returning, but I won’t.

Reviewed December 8, 2017

Selected this restaurant, after perusing tripadvisor re restaurants in Rochester, for a meal yesterday with old friends who live in Northants. We were not disappointed.
Although it was surprisingly very quiet, (we were in fact the only table for a while), the meal was super and the front of house Natalya, a delightful person, who made us very welcome.

The quality of the food was really really good, we could not fault anything. We started with antipasto, and then on to risottos, and a fetuccine dish with sea food, and lovely desserts, mostly they are home made - all simply delicious.

i was surprised that more people were not there. It is an unpretentious but pleasant and comfortable venue situated at the far end of the high street virtually on the bridge. It is not overpriced, and it is such a treat to eat authentic dishes that taste as if they truly have just been prepared. I shall definitely go there again when i am in Rochester.

Reviewed November 21, 2017 via mobile

Spent the evening with friends and a enjoyable experience.
After sitting down, we were then asked to move so they could make our 4 top into 2 2 tops. Not a problem, Antonio was apologetic and resulted in a running joke all night.
Once settled, he proceeded in explaining specials and taking our order in a fun and professional manner.
The place is buzzing, busy but never pretentious with that lovely Italian smell.
Having spent many holidays in Italy, food is a good example of an English restaurant replicating this wonderful cuisine.
3 starters, 4 mains, 2 desserts, bottle of wine, 2 bottles of beer, glass of wine and a bottle of water came to £91 so pretty good value

Been to Mamma Mia? Share your experiences!